GPGSL S8 Round 14 -Monaco Grand Prix - The RD's Short Straw >> SHOCKING NEWS AT PAGE 204!!! <<

Posted by GPGSL 
n00binio schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - driver boosts yield a relative increase in
> performance of 0.3%
> - assuming 30 bhp total team boost will result in
> a relative increase of 4% over the whole season,
> in average 0.2% per race
> - the typical relative variation in driver
> performance amounts to 3.75% per race, more than
> ten times the amount of the boosts.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
I say:

- Get rid of 1 lap qualy, I want it like it was before
- 2 pitstops in the race instead of 1, more action
- Get rid of the 50 min video on Youtube, I doubt it many people watch the full 50 min. Same as qualy, I only watch my own lap then sip to results and even then im a bit bored watching my lap. Video is fun when its live / when someone comments. Maybe pictures takes more effort, but they show the action and then its exiting to watch and doesnt take 50 min.

Thats just my 50 cents, for the rest im happy. So keep up the good job!

Race starts: 141 | Points: 886 | Podiums: 35 | Race wins: 10

Follow me on: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
Charrel Wrote:
> I say:
>
> - Get rid of 1 lap qualy, I want it like it was
> before
> - 2 pitstops in the race instead of 1, more
> action
> - Get rid of the 50 min video on Youtube, I doubt
> it many people watch the full 50 min. Same as
> qualy, I only watch my own lap then sip to results
> and even then im a bit bored watching my lap.
> Video is fun when its live / when someone
> comments. Maybe pictures takes more effort, but
> they show the action and then its exiting to watch
> and doesnt take 50 min.
>
> Thats just my 50 cents, for the rest im happy. So
> keep up the good job!

Agree on all points. Videos i have NEVER watched. I just do not have the time. Skip straight to the results. Pics i do have time to spend the 5-10 mins to see how a race has been captured, and see where I finish/my drivers finish...... Video is good, but just do not ever have time to watch them....

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
I'm with Charrel. Regarding free practise/qualifying, 22 pictures would be enough in a 22nd to 1st order. I prefer also pictures, a video should be no longer than 20 à 30 minutes to keep it interesting.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Re: GPGSL S8 Round 12 -Imola - San Marino Grand Prix
Date: May 22, 2013 10:38PM
Posted by: Rico
Man... If we would collect all the 50 cents going around on this forum lately Matteo would have gotten this years virtual salary 2 times already !

But yeah i agree with Charrel and Ruben on the 22 qualypic idea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If in doubt, Flat out."
IMO the single-lap thingy was well intentioned but had a bad result. I'd totally love a system like F1 nowadays but sadly it is impossible. So I thought of having the old pre-2003 F1 lap limit (12 laps) BUT half of the time we used to have. With many cars on the track at the same time, things can get interesting, and 12 laps guarantee you at least 4 tries.

For the performance stuff, well, it is a bit unfair with Stu and his team to take actions against them. I mean, picture yourself having a team that keeps winning, you wouldn't want others to demolish your work. So I reckon that we concentrate our effort on helping those who are behind, instead of harming those who are at the front. The boost quantity is a good start, I'm also among many of us that want teams and drivers' boosts to mark relevance, after all it is the strategic part of this league. An idea that came to me (if it's crazy, please don't hate me LOL) is to give perf bonus points at the end of the season to all teams, without increasing failure rate, giving more for the last team, a little bit less for the penultimate, and so on until the first one.

As I said, these are my suggestions, please don't kill me if they're far-fetched hehe ;-)

Ps.: Totally agree with the coverage in videos. I prefer one of them every some races but with commentary, kind of what Connor did this season or Dean last season, it felt like we were being shown on Sky or the BBC :-)

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
I agree with the comments about videos. Unless the video has conmentary to go with it, I get bored watching the video and usually skip to parts showing how drivers retired and the ending to see the results. If the videos were shorter in length, maybe then I would watch the whole video.

Ok guys, you prefer pics to a video. I find doing a video a whole lot less time consuming to do than screenshots, I just haven't the time, nor the motivation to wade through hundreds of pics and write a review of what happened. So, therefore I retire from race directing.

5 x WCC - S5, S6, S7, S8, S10 | 4 x WDC - S5 Nick van der Voort ; S6, S7, S8 Ed Greenhalgh | 2 x WTC - S6 Stuart Ingers; S8 Andrei Sevastian
Stoopid Wrote:
> Ok guys, you prefer pics to a video. I find doing
> a video a whole lot less time consuming to do than
> screenshots, I just haven't the time, nor the
> motivation to wade through hundreds of pics and
> write a review of what happened. So, therefore I
> retire from race directing.

If doing videos keeps you race directing, I don't think anyone can really complain in any way.

If your mind is made up...then it seems coverages are gonna be a bit more sparse. I'd love to do my share of more, but GP4 isn't the fastest of runners on my laptop...

Now, I'll let the doomsayers say their thing...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Stu, maybe somebody around here would volunteer to go over the screenies after you've taken them and post them with commentary of his/her own. I don't know if it's the best solution, but it does halve the time consumed in doing it, I believe. Same applies for anybody who wants to RD and doesn't have much time, like Jake or John M. and others.

Carlitox Wrote:
> Stu, maybe somebody around here would volunteer to
> go over the screenies after you've taken them and
> post them with commentary of his/her own. I don't
> know if it's the best solution, but it does halve
> the time consumed in doing it, I believe. Same
> applies for anybody who wants to RD and doesn't
> have much time, like Jake or John M. and others.

+1

CaptinFranko schrieb:
> oensan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What if a team, like One, who have only been
> > running for a single season but have had great
> > success, had their perfs reset at the end of
> this
> > season and were back to where they started just
> > because most other teams had gone the three
> > seasons since the last reset? That would be
> really
> > unfair!
> >
> > To be fair, all the team's perfs started within
> > just 4 of each other this season. AMR and TSM
> were
> > pretty much evenly matched, even taking into
> > consideration their drivers' perfs, but the two
> > teams have had starkly contrasting seasons. I
> > think the system is pretty much spot on for
> > generating competitive racing at the moment.
> > No-one's running away with it as they have
> > previously, are they?
>
> Now I know I am going to court controversy for
> saying this and really don't mean to but I don't
> find it fair that the new teams have been able to
> come in in their first season and win races. How
> long have other teams been waiting to win races?
> Some a lot more than three seasons. Barring last
> year Christel and Mac have been at the back of the
> field trying to work up, which is what new teams
> do..its just been a bit gauling this year
> realising how much of a one off last season was
> for Christel. I think the new rules have been
> geared far to much to the new teams and "narrowing
> the gap" that in my opinion, never needed
> narrowing. Yes AMR won all titles last year but I
> bet they will again this year, because they are a
> top team. I say put in a ceiling for the driver
> and team perfs at a certain point and then over
> the course of a few seasons the other teams will
> catchup. Then when teams like AMR and TSM
> eventually leave the whole process will renew
> itself. The teams below will move forward and the
> new teams will come in at the bottom.
>
> Now I know that sounds a bit processional but the
> fact that boosts are, lets be honest random, and
> that GP4 has a random element built into it anyway
> I think would still make for interesting racing.
> Plus it would bring back an element of control for
> team owners as they try to sign drivers with
> higher perfs in order to trump their way up the
> system.
>
> Oh and please....GET RID OF SINGLE LAP QUALIFYING!
> (We may as well just roll a dice)

Now, honestly Chris, to me this sounds a bit...how to put it...jealous. After all, last season Christel had an extremely good season, from a position where this wasn't expected. Granted that the one lap qualifying might have had a positive effect for ONE, too, but to be fair, they're now just a proof that the artificial decrease of performance gaps is actually working. Like Christel was last season and SCR was the season before.
As for the ceiling you mention, it would be just good to read the rules. In fact there has been a team perf cap for a long time already (810, 810 points). And for this season, a driver's perf cap as been introduced as well, as announced before the season, which Ed has just hit after the last race, meaning that his driver perf won't increase any further for the rest of the season.
Along with that, the actual perf gaps are massively shrunk for the next season starter perfs.

As for Stu's decision to stop doing race coverages: I can honestly understand the decision. He is running the absolute most number of our races and is putting in a massive time for it. Interestingly it were mostly those people who have never done a coverage before who now take it for granted that they have a right for this or that kind of coverage. Do one yourself, experience the massive difference of time that is needed to do a coverage one way or the other, and then you can claim it again, while putting your own effort in, once in a while. Honestly, it's the race director's choice what kind of coverage he gives and all the others should be grateful to this person - whoever it is - for having put in the effort!
With Stu not doing it anymore, you better prepare for way longer waiting times between races!

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
I'd volunteer to comment the races after getting the video. This'd mean someone running the race and uploading it to a filehoster. I'd download it, start the video and the recording and comment on the race.
Two posts showing what I've run completely on my own. Qualifying done in this format takes letting GP4 run everything and then taking a pic of every car. Sort em from 22nd to 1st and you're done.
[www.grandprixgames.org]
The race was done in an obvious way. I could upload the full-length video of such a race now, the limit of 15 minutes went away after uploading the ~5th part.
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Please keep in mind that the graphical issues and everything wouldn't happen because I'd not run a race. Instead I'd comment on it. Also I could upload the races myself.

Let's quote myself: i sound like a 15-year-old and have a too high voice...

I think, this could happen again. I'm NOT 15 years old, though ;)
Dunno why that's the case, language shouldn't be too much of a problem, although it's not my first language. Which you probably can hear in the vid.

That'd be my offer. Would also be half the time. One runs the race and uploads it, the other one comments on the uploaded race and reuploads it. I'd also run one/two races myself but as you can see I'm in no way capable of solving errors in GP4, even less when under time pressure, so it'd have to run without any error first try, best without mid-race saves.
Greetings
Sebastian
sorry for dp, just have to quote something:

Interestingly it were mostly those people who have never done a coverage before who now take it for granted that they have a right for this or that kind of coverage. Do one yourself, experience the massive difference of time that is needed to do a coverage one way or the other, and then you can claim it again, while putting your own effort in, once in a while.

THIS +1

Of course it's understandable that people have a preference, I have one myself obviously. BUT I'd never blame a race director for doing a coverage other than what I find best. I didn't do it before and I will never do after running the race mentioned above.
Doing a coverage means:
Run the race, sit in front of the screens and watch the cars turn each single lap. Meanwhile either the PC does a pic every second, for picture-coverage, or a program is running background recording the complete race including sound. You look the race, watch things happen, and either are really bored, decide to pause for a second to watch what happend to a certain driver, or when commenting on the race afterwards, like I've done, already think about what to say in one situation.
Afterwards it's either rewatching the race, this time commenting on it, afterwards finishing the video and uploading it, or buzzing through hundreds of pictures sorting them, deleting most of them and then uploading them with a brief description for EACH.
Was this description interesting? If yes, then do one. If not, then you know why this can be a hard job sometimes. Now just to put things right: I'd don't consider myself a RD, just for the records. I've run one race for a coverage, but that's about it. So I only have a vague idea of what work it is for a RD, leave alone doing nearly an entire season.

Greetings
Sebastian
Just wanted to say I absolutely love the video coverages, please don't retire, Stu!

There's much more of a build up of tension with a video compared to a load of pictures which also clog up the pages. And then when the video comes with commentary as well, extra bonus! I know it's hard to convey emotion through text, but I find the commentary on images rather tiresome and forced.

However, I will state I don't mind either way whichever coverage is produced. Without it, we'd have no game! I would love to RD a round soon, and then hopefully go on to do more, but unfortunately I'm finding it increasingly difficult to run GP4 with each new computer or laptop I have. If someone was willing to basically walk me through what I would have to do to achieve it, then I'd help out tomorrow.

Many years ago, I used to run my own version of the GPGSL using a version of Championship Manager, taking clubs and players names and stats to generate team and driver perfs, and absolutely loved it! If I had more time on my hands these days, I'd probably still be doing it :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless I'm very much mistaken... I am very much mistaken!
Mmmm oke, I must say that the "Get rid of the video" was very harsh from me and even offensive for the race directors putting a lot of free time into it. So my apologies to everyone that i have offended. My point was that I enjoy the coverage the most with a livestream and comments, but I know this costs a lot of preparation and also time etc. And that I liked picture more then just a video with nothing else.

But indeed, it is a lot better than nothing! We should be very happy with what we have right now. I have always been very gratefull for everyone putting a lot of time in this series. I know I dont contribute much, but I would never claim anything. So once again im sorry

Race starts: 141 | Points: 886 | Podiums: 35 | Race wins: 10

Follow me on: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
I completely agree with John, and as Charrel did, I want to clarify that I didn't meant "natural sound video coverages are rubbish" at all. What I did said was that I preferred the pics, but obviously, we have to put ourselves in Stu and all the RD's shoes. Many of us have jobs, go to university or even both! And this league is nothing but a place to spend a nice time, communicate with other people and feeling like you're a true racing driver or team owner. All thanks to the governing body of the GPGSL and us drivers. I do understand that it is really hard to cover a race, and I enormously respect everybody who do it, either once or on a regular basis. So Stu, if you find the video coverage more convenient, I'd totally understand it, and I believe all of us do too. :-)

If my english would be perfectly, I'll incorporated Murray Walker!! =D

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Any links to the track downloads for the remaining rounds? I've decided I might run another round after Imola before the end of the season. I was planning on running Magny Cours, but it has a massive glitch with the graphics so I won't be able to run that event. But I'll do another race if I do a good coverage of Imola.

From memory, last season I ran 3 or 4 race weekends, with pics for all events. It IS time consuming, and I found i pretty much needed to be totally alone at home, with no distractions to do the whole "package" :
1/. run the test session = 30 mins
2/. sort through photos, edit, rename, convert etc... 1-2 hrs??
3/. cut/paste url links and post some form of "story" to it all. = 1-2 hrs minimum!!
4/. run qualifying - 1 hour
5/. sort through photos, edit, rename, convert etc... 1-2 hrs??
6/. cut/paste url links and post some form of "story" to it all. = 1-2 hrs minimum!!
7/. run race = 1-1 1/2 hrs??
8/. sort through photos, edit, rename, convert etc... 2-3 hrs??
9/. cut/paste url links and post some form of "story" to it all. = 1-2 hrs minimum!!
10/. proof read it all before publishing on forum/inevitable re-edit = 30 mins

And it all takes time.....!!!!
Sadly, I am just really busy with work, personal and social life these days, and just dont have that amount of time to be able to contribute to posting race coverages. But for those that do, and take time to present a decent coverage, thanks! Video is not my personal favourite, but when I sit down and think of how time consuming pics can be, i know why video "could" be a better option...

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy