GPGSL S8 Round 14 -Monaco Grand Prix - The RD's Short Straw >> SHOCKING NEWS AT PAGE 204!!! <<

Posted by GPGSL 
Round 7 - West Africa?/Boromo Superveloz - Testers Race Coverage!

Full Video Coverage

Picture Results
[img708.imageshack.us]

(apologies if anything in the race is missed/the frantic nature of the commentary, its pretty intense with everything going on!)

JohnMaverick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> truecrysis schrieb:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Have you looked into the possibility of
> sharing
> > > the commentary box Connor?
> >
> > Based on a suggestion from Mr Mills, i would be
> > able to capture "team radio" by having a bunch
> of
> > people in a skype chat speaking effectively
> over
> > radio, based on what they see in the stream. As
> > for having someone else commentate based on
> what's
> > on my screen, currently testing things for that
> :)
>
> The problem I see there is that people would
> possibly talk over each other, since everybody can
> talk at the same time. Not sure if that'll really
> work out. ZAZ, we need a tool for this! ;)
> Something where people can log in and the streamer
> decides who can talk!

Probably why it's a good idea to just have the two commentators and have team bosses type in their team radio messages in the chat.

I'm also going to put up my hand for the James Hunt/Martin Brundle position :p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 08:25PM by mclarenaustralia.
I havent got time to watch all of that race, but... I am assuming I spun off at some point, as i ended up behind my team mate Sebastian, who i did see spin off track, and re-enter in 18th....
One suggestion for the coverage : less use of the GP4 "director" mode. I would rely on my own changing of angles and which cars to follow - just seemed to chop and change views too much... just my 2 cents....
But, great coverage, regardless!

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
dear, dear, dear... :(

What an unlucky race for us at SCR. My first thoughts go to my boss Mal Stoddard who had a terrible crash, but I've heard on the radio that he is OK.
For me, that was a speedy race as I announced it previously : from 13th at the start to 2nd and then from 12th after the pit stop to 5th and... BAM to the wall... What a shame ! That could have been a good result.
My best moment was when I took over the MPR with the current leader of the main championship at its wheel. A really great pleasure for me, and the best way to show all of my possibilities to my boss.

Great coverage Connor. It was a real pleasure to watch it. Except lap 20 when I crashed into the fences. :-(

That repair bill comes out of your wages Eric.....

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Overall that is a strong AMR result. It's a shame that Andrei had this unfortunate start, which prevented a better position. But P3 is still very good for the fight in the testers championship. And Jack, what a phenomenal second half of the race, to make it to P4, obviously with big help from other drivers, however.

What really worries me are the 7 DNFs. That's not too good a sign for the upcoming main event. Either way I'm glad that I didn't use a boost here. The gamble would have been too high, for it to end in a DNF.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
mortal écrivait:
> That repair bill comes out of your wages Eric.....

LOL. Hopefully Maikel won't ask the same for you. ;)

So, it was an eventful race, and not that great. 12th place seems like a solid result, but first given the many retirements (feel really sorry for Gianluigi, Water Leak was really unlucky) and second my pace I'm unhappy. In fact, I've noticed on the lap 7 / 29 that I'm lapping faster than Stuart Ingers / Dominic Brunner. Would bet, this went on for some time, maybe the whole second stint, if I wasn't fighting for position.
The first stint however ruined my race. After some people messing up in the first corner, myself losing some places everytime, I made a mistake dropping me out of the reach of anything. Being angry on the rest of the field, luckily could continue driving. Afterwards one could see it.

So, this being the part of my race, now the OOC-part.

First of all, ZAZ we don't need any tool for this, we need a server :-p . Teamspeak, to be exact, alternatively Mumble. These have the possibility to have different channels, so the streamer just sits in one locked channel with admin rights, to pull up the one he wants to talk with. The other people can talk freely in another channel without interfering the live stream. So don't use Skype, first of all everyone can talk, second issue is the really bad quality of a conference with many people.

As for the coverage, I'm happy with it. Great commentary, if you have watched my coverage in F1-manager 2005, I'm like:

Well done, and in contrast to shep I'd like to see even a few more camera shots. Especially onboard-cameras you seem to avoid for 99% of the time. I'd love to have them a bit more, as they are great to see.
That's it, for now. Looking forward to both qualifying and race of the actual championship. Will surely be fun.
Greetings
Silverman

PS: Just a quick idea on live-streaming together. Had the wild idea of someone running the race and normally doing the live stream. But he won't comment on it, instead two people view this live-stream and comment on it as they see it. Now to have the comments and the race running parallel for the audition you would have to have a second live stream channel running, this one having a video-delay of roughly 5 seconds, or whatever delay is between the streaming PC and the stream.
Dunno if it's possible, but this would allow for dual commentary. Of course also the streamer could comment himself but then he would also need to comment on the first stream. Changing cameras and talking about different pictures is from my point of view more difficult.
What about using Skype for the commentary? The commentator could could watch the video live, and comment on Skype with no video running, just voice. Then everyone would watch on twitchtv and listen on Skype. The Skype could be a GPG-TV account setup just for commentary.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
My idea was to send the feed from xsplit to Skype as a webcam and also have it steaming onto twitch.
I guess a lot depends on how often this type of coverage will be done. For a first try I have to say that so far it's all gone swimmingly well, and kudos to Connor for a great job.

mortal schrieb:
> What about using Skype for the commentary? The
> commentator could could watch the video live, and
> comment on Skype with no video running, just
> voice. Then everyone would watch on twitchtv and
> listen on Skype. The Skype could be a GPG-TV
> account setup just for commentary.

That will make it a bit more difficult, however, to get the commentary into the post-race youtube coverage. Cause then you'll have to synchronize the video and the audio commentary afterwards again. And, it still does not solve the problem of several people talking up at the same time. Sebastian's approach might be a better one in this regard. However, a teamspeak server means costs.

Interview With Christel VXR Driver Greg O'Brien, Post Accident

Interviewer: Greg, how are you feeling after having that accident?
O'Brien: Not too bad. I feel slightly sore, but I'll get over it.
Interviewer: So what exactly happened? It look like you lost control of the car and spun.
O'Brien: It was a case of driver error. I got my braking wrong and ended up spinning. And it seems that I hit the Snake of Stoddart while I was spinning, causing him to go into a barrel roll. I just hope that he is ok.
Interviewer: Could this be seen as payback for what happened in Sepang? You did have a incident with Stoddart there.
O'Brien: No, I don't. That was different.
Interveiwer: I see. Last question. Do you think your teammate Ingers can bring a good result home for Christel? He is the current leader.
O'Brien: Of course. Christel really need good results, both for testers and full race. I know he'll bring a good result home.
Interviewer: That's all the time we have. Thanks again Greg.
O'Brien: It's all good.

What a horrific race meeting for me. I got held up in qualifying, by my teammate of all people, which prevented me from possibly improving on my time, and then making that error which ended up taking me and Stoddart out. Surely my position in the testers championship will fall. That's so frustrating!

Absolutely amazing race coverage!!!! GG for that. Bit my nails during the first 5 laps. Loads of action left, right and center.

Race wise, I think it's a good result for the team and I have to thank Jack for keeping the rest at bay. Was really struggling on my second stint but managed to bring the car home. GG to Stuart, that was a fantastic move and caught me off guard. All in all, not a bad weekend with pole and 3rd place, I still leave with the championship lead and that's what matters. Good luck in the race guys!

Off to party hard! (B)

____
there are a few issues flying around that i should probably comment on as i'm the one running this round, so hopefully i will answer everything.

Dual Commentary: This as a concept is a difficult thing to manage due to lack of online supported by GP4, which is how most multi-commentary streams are made, using a mixture of an online game and a skype/teamspeak chat. As GP4 doesn't have this, getting a second person to see the screen in real time is the biggest challenge. There are a couple of suggestions flying around, all good and helpful, that are attempting to solve these problems.
Stream within a stream: A few of these involve double streaming either doing a chain stream in order to catch two people, or having me stream both to online and to a second commentator. Whilst in theory these work, there are major issues with internet speeds and quality. I can't stream GP4 in 720p as it is due to limited internet capacity, so any extra streaming alongside or further along to that will simply end up in even further reduction of quality, until the point where the video becomes pointless as no-one can actually see whats going on.
Blind commentary: Mal made a suggestion which goes along the lines of having someone watch the stream and commentate, albeit a few seconds behind what i'm seeing. This is probably the most hardware friendly suggestion available, and if the second person is clever about what they say, could prove to be effective and the time lag unnoticeable. A skype conversation on top of a stream should not provide too much of an issue.
Anything that involves editing the audio: For me streaming provides a good way to get the coverage out quickly, but in a far more interactive way. As with anything the more time I spent on the coverage, the better it would probably end up. But at the same time coverage would be produced slower and the amount of times I/others would be willing/able to do it less. As streaming does tend to be easier than all other forms of coverage on my end, anything that moves into the editing range doesn't really fit into my free time.
Round 7: As of now i can't confirm what the commentary for the full feature will be like, as i don't know if fitting solution will be found. As of this moment take it as it will be a solo commentary, hopefully with pre/post race interviews on skype in order to spice it up. Dual will be more aimed at future streams due to time.

Camera Angles: This is something i've been learning as i go along, and as of yet don't feel i've got right. I understand Glen's view about the director made changing away at all the wrong times, and on the reverse have previous had comments that i flick around too much when not using director mode. As i said this is something that hopefully i will pick up as i go, and find more suitable camera shots without the use of director. As for onboards, i have a habit of ignoring simply for volume reasons... An onboard generates a far louder engine noise than trackside cameras, so whenever we are onboard i tend to flick away to avoid too loud a noise. There is also a minor point of personal preference, as i've always felt tracksides provide a greater view of whats going on. Again something i hope to work on for the future :).

Future Streams: I don't know how often it will happen in this form. Obviously i would prefer as many people to be given a shot at RD'ing as possible, so chances should be handed around first. From that i can imagine the next few rounds will be up to someone else, i don't want to hog it all! ;-). But of course i would always be willing to give it another go, generally i enjoy it so it's no issue with me. I tend to stream on a more regular basis for the GPGNC, so without plugging it too much, anyone is welcome to watch it over there.

DNF's: I too was a little concerned by the number of accidents during the race, especially as there were a lot of cars running wide and getting away with it. Generally something like that happened every lap. I would be willing to change the AI errors value down a little to make it more suitable, but would have to receive word from the GPGSL board first.

Finally: And as a final comment i am glad everyone is enjoying it so far! As i've said above i too enjoy doing it, and it's quite good to get involved and interact with some of you during the race, makes everything quite interesting! Comments and suggestions are always welcome for anything you feel could be improved, so don't hesitate to let me know! And if theres anything i forgot in this essay, sorry.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
It's way too late, so I'll keep this short. But to answer on three things that Connor mentioned:

- The AI errors were set for this event as they are. Since the testers had to deal with this issue, I personally just consider it fair that they stay as they are now. However, for a potential use of the track in the future, an AI error reduction might be something to think about.

- Camera angle and race director: One thing shouldn't be forgotten here. Unlike real F1 producers, you don't have a camera available at every corner, in GP4, where you can switch to by just pushing one key. GP4 is also limited in this regard and this makes it impossible to have as smooth transitions. I experienced this problem, too, when I made my first video coverage. You basically have two options only: A) Use the race direction and rely on him, or B) scroll down the field all the time. Both options carry the risk that you miss something, though. A mix, like Connor used it, is possibly the best way to come up with a good results. And I enjoyed a lot, how you used the cameras in this mix. To me it was perfect in the boundaries of GP4. And these boundaries shouldn't be forgotten when people complain about either of the usage.

- I really agree that, once the stream is set up, this is probably the easiest and quickest way to do a coverage. I remember, back when I did my video coverage, some people complained that it took too long to watch. Granted, a picture coverage is usually read quicker than watching a full race. However, I think we should just leave this decision to whomever steps up as a race director and, by this, helps Stu with the massive workload he usually has.
What I would like to see, however, is a quick tutorial by Connor, of how to set up the stream, if this is possible. I have the feeling, if people get the chance to look into this, some more might use of the stream version. And I, personally, would really like to see this.

Hahaha, first of all the coverage was awesome!

Comment on the race; epic! As for me a testers race doesnt really count, so I enjoyed the close racing! I noticed elleker is a talented guy in the AMR, and hes good at defending! I kinda missed this kind of racing, congrats to him, I couldnt make a move stick with a slightly better pace :D But to be realistic a podium was possible, looking forward to the main event

Race starts: 141 | Points: 886 | Podiums: 35 | Race wins: 10

Follow me on: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
thank you very much for the fantastic video coverage, I enjoyed it very much!

(Y)

"Oiııo.
........................................................................................................
Pilot Pirx
........................................................................................................
@pirx, you do know you got a warning from being inactive? What have you been doing to forget to post?

And to Ingers, congrats on 2nd. If the car was able to keep up the early pace after the stop it could have been a win. Besides my accident, this testers race has shown that Christel has the pace. Now it's up to the main drivers to keep up the momentum.

Definitely would add to the coverage report to have in-race 'interviews' and transcripts. Would help the commentator have a bit of a breather too.

Maybe someone wants the job of pitlane reporter?

Pre-record numerous generic team by team analysis Ted Kravitz comments or a live feedback if they can make the race. Have the director chooses when to play them during his screening.

Since there is a prog to record a certain section of the screen capture only, they could simply be loaded as mp3's outside the recorded window.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy