Damage coefficient settings
Date: June 18, 2012 12:20PM
Posted by: johnbad1000
Can I change the damage coefficient settings manually?I mean to change the settings without GP4 Tweaker.

Watch my GP4 youtube videos:

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Damage coefficient settings
Date: June 18, 2012 03:57PM
Posted by: casssp
I use CSM. Here is my config:

[Damage]
;the comment is the game default value.
;it's not necessary to have it, but it might be good for reference
DamageCarsBounce =32 ;32
DamageWalls =7424 ;7424
DamageCars =8192 ;8192
DamageWallsBounce =16 ;16
NoseCone =1 ;2
RightWing =14 ;130
LeftWing =13 ;130
RightWingFence =12 ;66
LeftWingFence =11 ;66
RightFrontSuspension =450 ;136
RightFrontWheel =350 ;136
LeftFrontSuspension =650 ;68
LeftFrontWheel =550 ;68
RightSidePod =2 ;8
LeftSidepod =1 ;4
CarRear =1 ;12
RightRearSuspension =600 ;34
RightRearWheel =500 ;34
LeftRearSuspension =400 ;17
LeftRearWheel =300 ;17
EntireRearWing =5 ;256
RightRearWing =4 ;256
LeftRearWing =3 ;256
TopRearWing =2 ;256
LeftBargeBoard =2 ;8
RightBargeBoard =3 ;4

;adjust for more parts falling off
Date: June 19, 2012 03:12PM
And how am I going to config it?

[www.youtube.com]
Date: June 19, 2012 03:39PM
Do you use CSM? If yes, go to GPSAVES, CARSET and select the folder mod that you want. SETTINGS and find a file called damage.ini. If the file is not into the folder, just create damage.ini using the notepad and paste my config.
Date: June 19, 2012 06:10PM
But I want to config it myself.How can I do that?

[www.youtube.com]
Date: June 20, 2012 05:33AM
All you need is to adjust. The first column, is the value changed. The second, is the default values.
Date: May 14, 2013 02:09PM
Posted by: stcheyne
NoseCone =2 ;2
RightWing =130 ;130
LeftWing =130 ;130
RightWingFence =66 ;66
LeftWingFence =66 ;66
RightFrontSuspension =136 ;136
RightFrontWheel =136 ;136
LeftFrontSuspension =68 ;68
LeftFrontWheel =68 ;68
RightSidePod =8 ;8
LeftSidepod =4 ;4
CarRear =12 ;12
RightRearSuspension =34 ;34
RightRearWheel =34 ;34
LeftRearSuspension =17 ;17
LeftRearWheel =17 ;17
EntireRearWing =256 ;256
RightRearWing =256 ;256
LeftRearWing =256 ;256
TopRearWing =256 ;256
LeftBargeBoard =8 ;8
RightBargeBoard =4 ;4

casssp, do you know what these values do exactly? I've tried your config and the damage is more sensitive but it's too random, hitting a car from behind will buckle your whole suspension even if the rear never hit anything. I was wondering though if these values are what GP4Tweaker changes for it's Damage Coefficient setting. I am trying to match the 400% setting using this config but it's near impossible when the values poses unpredictable results.
Date: May 14, 2013 02:28PM
Posted by: Lucas78
Personally, after a long search, a few days ago I found this topic and I must say I'm quite satisfied with the damage values casssp posted (but I'm running full AI races) ; or, at least, it seems quite realistic for '80/beginning of '90 mods :)
Date: May 14, 2013 03:14PM
His config is the closest out there to the ideal damage for me too just it reacts too random for me, I myself have been playing with the values for a couple days and some are just strange with their behaviours.

DamageCarsBounce =32 ;32
DamageWalls =7424 ;7424
DamageCars =8192 ;8192

Above are easy to predict, everything below that seems to have a different behaviour entirely. What I've found with the suspension sensitivity is it has some kind of balance ratio to determine what falls off when a crash happens. Higher numbers doesn't seem to mean much as I have multiplied each default suspension value by whatever number and the damage is the same as default, the reason...I never broke the 'balance ratio', as soon as I change for example the LeftFrontSuspension by 100, you get results like casssp's. The reason I'm trying to tackle the suspension is because I found it's the toughest to understand, once you find how the suspension damage works I think the rest will be easy. Click here for a thread discussing this in more detail, ashame ROAR seems to have been inactive for about 2 years, would of been nice to know what else he found out about this.
Date: May 14, 2013 03:58PM
#Lucas 78: Thanks :-)

#stcheyne: I will try to explain to base in my tests

Left value: to adjust
Right value: default game value limit

So, you can adjust only the left.

When you raise: make the part strong
When you reduce: make the part weak

But if you put the many same values for all the parts, the damage works like the default (I think is a bug). It´s why the rear wing for example be different values for each part: 2, 3, 4, 5. Another thing in my tests that you told, yes, the damage is a little random, if you hit on the middle, sometimes remove the front wing or all rear engine cover, instead sidepods or bargeboard (I think that is because the game script).

Yeah you´re right about removing whole suspension. In the game, it´s impossible to bend the suspension, so I make this to remove the suspension to force the car retire. But at some point, this is boring, so I changed again the values of wheels and suspension, now, the car still running even if the driver are driving a car just with chassis, engine and wheels (wings, covers, sidepods removed) and they can back to the pit to fix.

DamageCarsBounce =32 ;32
DamageWalls =7424 ;7424
DamageCars =8192 ;8192
NoseCone =1 ;2
RightWing =14 ;130
LeftWing =13 ;130
RightWingFence =12 ;66
LeftWingFence =11 ;66
RightFrontSuspension =136 ;136
RightFrontWheel =136 ;136
LeftFrontSuspension =68 ;68
LeftFrontWheel =68 ;68
RightSidePod =2 ;8
LeftSidepod =1 ;4
CarRear =1 ;12
RightRearSuspension =34 ;34
RightRearWheel =34 ;34
LeftRearSuspension =17 ;17
LeftRearWheel =17 ;17
EntireRearWing =5 ;256
RightRearWing =4 ;256
LeftRearWing =3 ;256
TopRearWing =2 ;256
LeftBargeBoard =2 ;8
RightBargeBoard =3 ;4

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 04:01PM by casssp.
Date: May 14, 2013 04:01PM
The next thing to do, is try to simulate the damage when the car go to grass or gravel. I think I need to mess with this values:

DamageCarsBounce =32 ;32
DamageWalls =7424 ;7424
DamageCars =8192 ;8192

I accept help and ideas.
Date: May 14, 2013 04:22PM
casssp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> When you raise: make the part strong
> When you reduce: make the part weak

Does this apply to the suspension too? Basically reducing the number for any part will cause it to be more sensitive to damage?

>Yeah you´re right about removing whole suspension. In the game, it´s impossible to bend the suspension, so I make this to remove the suspension to force the car retire. But at some point, this is boring, so I changed again the values of wheels and suspension, now, the car still running even if the driver are driving a car just with chassis, engine and wheels (wings, covers, sidepods removed) and they can back to the pit to fix.

Do you mean light damage to the wing or undertray when bouncing through a gravel trap, or do you mean simulating retiring when spinning off into gravel (getting beached).

DamageCarsBounce =32 ;32
DamageWalls =1856 ;7424
DamageCars =2048 ;8192

These settings will cause your car to retire easily when you hit a car or wall regardless of broken parts, reduce the altered values more to make even easier to retire from these events.
Date: May 14, 2013 04:25PM
Posted by: Lucas78
But, regarding the coefficents: what are the absolute min and max. values? Is that known? (1 - ? ). Would it be ideal to use fixed multipliers? (like it happens with RAM memory, for example: 64-128-256-512 etc.). Because, otherwise, what's the difference between, let's say, 7428 and 7315 (yeah, I know, 7315 is lower :P . But you know what I mean?)
Date: May 14, 2013 04:27PM
I mean damage some parts, instead retiring. Like this:

1:27 to 1:40

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 04:29PM by casssp.
Date: May 14, 2013 04:29PM
Lucas78 Wrote:
> But, regarding the coefficents: what are the
> absolute min and max. values? Is that known? (1 -
> ? ). Would it be ideal to use fixed multipliers?
> (like it happens with RAM memory, for example:
> 64-128-256-512 etc.). Because, otherwise, what's
> the difference between, let's say, 7428 and 7315
> (yeah, I know, 7315 is lower :P . But you know
> what I mean?)

I was thinking this way sometimes as well when testing the values, I tend to do this anyway to be more consistant but I doubt it really does make a difference. One starts to think in this way when things react really obscurely

As far as the min-max values possible, I havn't pinpointed if there are any but a value of 0 seems to make that part invulnerable in most cases, also setting something too high or low will stop damage in the entire car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 04:48PM by stcheyne.
Date: May 14, 2013 04:45PM
casssp Wrote:
> I mean damage some parts, instead retiring. Like
> this:
>
> 1:27 to 1:40
>

This is something I was thinking about when I was testing crashes that cause the car to barrel roll. When this happens to an F1 car normally all parts are broken because of the massive force going through the car and hitting the ground on each roll.

Like this but you can have more spectacular ones than that in GP4 :)

GP4 seems to have an almost floating physic when this happens as you can make the car barrel roll for ages without it causing damage at all, it's not violent enough. The graval trap does have a bouncing property to it but there isn't a value to change this so it damages your car.
We would need a bumpbounce value to change how the bumps effects the cars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 04:56PM by stcheyne.
Date: May 15, 2013 05:42AM
But with my config, the car lose parts when barrell roll, but not realistic also.

DamageCarsBounce =32 ;32
DamageWalls =7424 ;7424
DamageCars =8192 ;8192

Please, can you explain to me what mean each values? I didn´t test yet, but I guess the DamageCarsBounce is the value to the gravel?
Date: May 15, 2013 05:46AM
Also, I discovered a bug that I didn´t told before: with the messed config, when many cars are broken in a point of the track, in the next lap, if you broken another car in the same point of the track or near, the car will lose less or none parts than the first cars broken. But if you crash in another point of the track, the car will lose more parts.

I don´t know if you get what I´m trying to explain.
Date: May 15, 2013 12:11PM
Posted by: spencer4242
casssp Wrote:
> Yeah you're right about removing whole
> suspension. In the game, it´s impossible to bend
> the suspension, so I make this to remove the
> suspension to force the car retire. But at some
> point, this is boring, so I changed again the
> values of wheels and suspension, now, the car
> still running even if the driver are driving a car
> just with chassis, engine and wheels (wings,
> covers, sidepods removed) and they can back to the
> pit to fix.

It's not entirely impossible to bend the suspension, if you think about when you get a suspension failure, that is the same effect, where the suspension keeps the wheel in place, but does not have the same effect due to a broken rod. I feel it would take a lot of work in the main code to change this though, even though it would be a lot more realistic.

"Anything can happen in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does."
"The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical."
Date: May 15, 2013 01:15PM
casssp Wrote:
> But with my config, the car lose parts when
> barrell roll, but not realistic also.
>
> DamageCarsBounce =32 ;32
> DamageWalls =7424 ;7424
> DamageCars =8192 ;8192
> DamageWallsBounce =16 ;16
>
> Please, can you explain to me what mean each
> values? I didn´t test yet, but I guess the
> DamageCarsBounce is the value to the gravel?

DamageCarsBounce =32 ;32 = If you increase this value, the bounce effect when you hit another car will be greater, so if you were to double or triple the default then hitting another car will throw you around the track.
DamageWalls =7424 ;7424 = This does not effect parts falling off, rather it makes your car more sensitive to 'retiring' when hitting a wall, a value of 100 would make your car retire almost always when you even glance the barriers.
DamageCars =8192 ;8192 = Same principal as DamageWalls, only when you hit a car instead of a wall. Lower values make your car more sensitive.
DamageWallsBounce =16 ;16 = This is the bounce effect when you hit a wall, increasing the value will give you a pinball machine effect.

Whenever I see two F1 cars have a big shunt, they usually 'climb' up each other rather than bounce away (unless there is wheel banging) like in this video with Villeneuve

I keep the DamageCarBounce to a minimum, same idea with the DamageWallBounce, to try and simulate a tire wall swallowing the cars I put very little bounce so the cars stop and don't bounce away from a tire wall. It's the best GP4 can do to simulate crashing out into a tire wall.
There isn't a specific value you can change to effect how the car is damaged when going through a gravel trap, so I don't know how this could be done

spencer4242 Wrote:
>It's not entirely impossible to bend the suspension, if you think about when you get a suspension failure, that is the same effect, where the suspension keeps the wheel in place, but does not have the same effect due to a broken rod. I feel it would take a lot of work in the main code to change this though, even though it would be a lot more realistic.

I would actually like to know what GP4Tweaker changes in the exe because when you use it's Damage Coefficient, this saves straight to the exe, would be nice to find out what this tweak actually changes and if it's these values within the exe itself. If it is, you could apply the tweak and see what numbers GP4Tweaker changed the values too, would give us alot more understanding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy