Monaco GP *spoilers*

Posted by mitadumapaga 
Monaco GP *spoilers*
Date: May 23, 2011 06:54PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
Hi guys, 3 days till the 1st practice session on a really special track from the f1 calendar. Tradition and history go together with glamour and excitement at this event.
And because it is so unique, strategy here will be more vital than anywhere else, even in Spain, because overtaking here is not just difficult, it is barely close to impossible (but not quite, as Michael proved last year at the last corner of the last lap :) )

So lets leave the fan-boyism beside and discuss... the pit stops . A question to you all: what do you think about the following strategy:

1) give it all in qualy (don't spare any soft tyres) ==> qualify around 3rd -7th on the grid.

2) then try a run on those soft's for about 25 laps, pit for hard's and go for it till the end. The reason:
everyone from the leaders will pit around lap 12-14.

3)Then if you are Felippe Massa for example, you will go to 1st place (of course if you keep within 20 seconds from the leader for those 12-14 laps, which is quite possible if you start from the 2nd or 3rd row).

4) the guy with the fresh soft's who is second (and already with a pit stop behind him), will catch you until lap 18 or so. The main focus here is DEFEND at all costs, because the guys behind the 2nd placed can close and start putting him under pressure as well, which would be a little help because of the situation with your tyres.

P.S. if you think this kind of defending will be difficult, just take a look at DC doing it for 78 laps in 2002.

5) stay out till lap 25-28. Pit. Put hard tyres. They will be definitely slow, but not as slow as the rubber of your challengers in 1st and 2nd and 3rd, who have pitted about 15 laps ago.

6) the main focus here is: PUSH HARD. try to stay within touch with the top runners. Even if you have Perez or Alguersuari to deal with:
a) you have a lot faster tyre than his already worn out soft's.
b) the front runners will surely occur a traffic at one point.
7) Then when they (the frontrunners) pit, you are ahead of them after the pits (because of the better pace on the hard's than they have on their badly worn soft's) and again DEFEND until the last lap.

I am open for your ideas, and suggestions of this strategy. And of course don't forget to post new all around the Monaco Grand Prix 2011 :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 12:08AM by mortal.
Re: Monaco GP *spoilers*
Date: May 23, 2011 07:08PM
Posted by: Nickv
I very much doubt you could do 25 laps on the soft tyres and then 50 on the hards. The tyres will be so worn by that time that you'll be sliding all over the place and the car behind will have a better exit and overtake the car in front. Especially when there's a RedBull behind, there will be a time where they'll simply blast past. Just look at how Webber overtook two people on one lap when he had fresh rubber on a track that's equally horrible to overtake on.
Date: May 23, 2011 07:26PM
Posted by: chet
The race has huge potential to be awesome.

So far this year we havent seen the one thing that we saw more often than not last year... Safety car!

Im just glad we only have to wait a few days :D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 25, 2011 02:58AM
Posted by: matt3454
[www.thef1times.com]

apparantly will make the entrance to st devote slippy.

Date: May 25, 2011 09:51AM
Posted by: alexf1man
Everyone will either slide or crash off at some stage here as a result. Teams might need an extra couple of nosecones ;)
Date: May 25, 2011 01:16PM
Posted by: danm
i kinda am wishing they bring back the old qualifying system badly :(

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 25, 2011 01:20PM
christ, it looks like Portsmouth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 01:21PM by danm.
Date: May 25, 2011 01:52PM
danm Schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i kinda am wishing they bring back the old
> qualifying system badly :(

Which of the 17 do you mean? ;)
Date: May 25, 2011 02:54PM
Posted by: J i m
Pfffft Vettel will still open his DRS flap on the entry to Ste Devote ;)

I love Monaco, I went there in December and gained a new found respect for the track, it just looks insanely narrow and tight... even with the modifications in recent years.

Date: May 25, 2011 03:01PM
@Nick - the megablaster hotlap qualifying of the mid 90's where everyone can go for broke in qual without it compromising the race.

Still, probably wouldnt change anything than it is now with the same fast guys upfront, so I guess the current system works to an extent.

The current system gives the slower guys a chance to mix it up with strategy whereby the old system their lack of raw pace would KO them from the start.

So to conclude myself, maybe the old system isn't so good. Lol.

Date: May 25, 2011 04:06PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Here's the new strip of tarmac at St Devote. You can't get much more on the racing line than that! It should be another good challenge, it'll be good to see how the drivers cope with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: May 25, 2011 04:43PM
*waits for the gp4 requests on the track update textures* :P

Date: May 25, 2011 07:29PM
danm Wrote:
> *waits for the gp4 requests on the track update
> textures* :P

LOL!!

Hopefully it makes it abit more challenging...

I cant say enough how much im looking forward to this race! We saw how good Kubica, and the Renault was here. Though it seems they've lost ground relative to the front runners this year for whatever reasons, but hopefully they will still be able to put up a strong fight.

Im also looking forward to seeing Heikki giving Q2 a run! With di Resta and Pastor I think Heikki has a chance. I figure the rookies will either adapt well, or be slow.

Im also hoping Jenson does a better job in qualifying than last years god awful attempt!!! Best thing about Monaco is it starts a day early :D:D!

Date: May 25, 2011 07:33PM
Maldonado will not even take part in qualifying, he'll have destroyed all Williams' chassis' by then.
Date: May 25, 2011 08:39PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Surprisingly, Maldonado is very good round Monaco but it'll be interesting to see how long he lasts with an F1 car before the inevitable.

Date: May 26, 2011 01:03AM
Posted by: Slash
Nickv Wrote:
> Maldonado will not even take part in qualifying,
> he'll have destroyed all Williams' chassis' by
> then.

probably for the best.. i doubt many people in the paddock would like to see that car with the PDVSA advertisment finish the race
Date: May 26, 2011 12:08PM
97kirkc Wrote:
> Surprisingly, Maldonado is very good round Monaco
> but it'll be interesting to see how long he lasts
> with an F1 car before the inevitable.

Only FP1 but so far he's proving to be pretty okay :)

Look's like we could see a real close one! Massa looked abit scruffy but fast, then I guess the sooner you find that edge here the better. Lewis looked pretty on it from the go. Didnt see live timing, but heard most his best laps had traffic. Wasnt sure about Jenson, didn't look as quick but he tends to take his time :p

Hopefully the gearbox incident will not effect Webber's weekend. I suspect not... Im just glad he missed FP1 rather than any other session!

I really don't want to see Vettel win here!! Not because he's leading the championship, but because he will win almost every race throughout his career and I want this one to stay away from him... for me, im hoping for another Webber win, Nico win, Schumacher win or of course a Jenson win (which is probably as unlikely as Schumacher winning!).

Date: May 26, 2011 02:20PM
It'd be a nice mix to have Massa take a surprise win this weekend, it'd change his fortune for the better.

What's the weather report like?

Date: May 26, 2011 02:53PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
danm Wrote:
> It'd be a nice mix to have Massa take a surprise
> win this weekend, it'd change his fortune for the
> better.

Yes, he actually has quite a good record here. He hasn't been outside the Top 4 since 2006.

Ferrari looks great today, and both are fascinating to watch onboard

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 26, 2011 03:13PM
Posted by: madotter
Just grabbed a screen from iplayer...

Ummm... Nice?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy