Monaco GP *spoilers*

Posted by mitadumapaga 
Re: Monaco GP *spoilers*
Date: May 28, 2011 02:01PM
Posted by: chet
Most exiting part of weekend :D:D:D:D! Or even, most exciting hour of F1 weekend all year :D!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 28, 2011 02:59PM
Posted by: EC83
Perez :(

Date: May 28, 2011 03:03PM
Posted by: Slash
damn poor Perez he was doing great... Jenson had a similar accident in 2003 i think and he couldn't race... i hope Sergio is ok
Date: May 28, 2011 03:13PM
Posted by: littleone90
what a bad incident that took perez...hope he will took part to the race..

Date: May 28, 2011 03:19PM
He was having such a good session too!

Date: May 28, 2011 07:07PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Concussion apparently for Perez, so he's unlikely to start tomorrow :-(
Date: May 28, 2011 07:22PM
Posted by: Carlitox
I feel sorry for Checo. It was his first Q3... he didn't deserve to end like that. Rosberg also had an identical crash earlier, but he was luckier.

Seventeen years ago something similar happened, in the same circuit, in the same spot and to a driver of the same team, remember?

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: May 28, 2011 07:30PM
Posted by: alonso0506
Carlitox schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I feel sorry for Checo. It was his first Q3... he
> didn't deserve to end like that. Rosberg also had
> an identical crash earlier, but he was luckier.
>
> Seventeen years ago something similar happened, in
> the same circuit, in the same spot and to a driver
> of the same team, remember?

ye karl wendlinger but good for perez saftey is much better today than 14 years ago.

Anyway Q1 was really interresting with Lotus beging very close to making it into q2 (they need to solve the power steering issue).

Q2 i was really dissapointed by Renault as they only managed to get some thents out of the option tyre and lost out big time to others. Also great fight for p10 at end and Perez and Maldonado beating their teammates.

Q3 were Perez crashed wasnt that exciting as q1 and 2 as no one really especially Ferrari didnt improve from practice. Jenson did very well i think and Schumi with 5th also not bad.

Now for tomorrow i hope vettel crashes somewhere and Ferrari uses their good race pace and Renault improves to score some good points. Dark horse for a good performance is Maldonado for me. So lets wait and see what happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Date: May 29, 2011 12:20AM
Posted by: Muks_C
@ Gav, re DRS behind lapped cars, yes any car can use it behind any car it's within 1 second of, it happened a lot in Turkey. i noticed something else in Turkey too, where a car (i think Webber) was catching someone and would have been within1 second anyway, but overtook him into the corner where the DRS detection line was, but then on the exit of the corner, despite Webber now being infront, both he and the car he overtook (can't remember who) were able to use DRS. so had Webber stayed behind over that detection line, he would have been allowed to use it. if he had passed the other car before the line meaning the other guy was now behind and obviously within 1 second, then Webber wouldn't have been allowed to use it but the other car would have. something weird happened (or there's more complexity to the rule) that allowed both cars to use it. can we imagine that they crossed the detection line at exactly the same time so both were allowed to use it?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 29, 2011 12:31AM
Vettel has officially ended Webber.

half a second, on such a small track where Webber is considered to be one of the best. Vettel really is mega this season. Kimi at his best mega! Though in Barcelona he surpassed Alonso with worst win celebrations ever.

Date: May 29, 2011 01:40AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
Spot on !!
...or the treatment they have at red bull is not equal. i really really think that mark is getting not the best input to deliver. But ... of course it might be just paranoia by myself.

P.S. i am not a webber fanboy but you have to blame red bull for me being suspicious, especially affter what happened last year in that team
Date: May 29, 2011 02:20AM
Posted by: Slash
well.... can't blame them.. Webber is for Vettel what Rubens was for Michael...

Webber was in a clear position to win the championship last year.. but he threw it all away himself... Vettel seems to guarantee that he can get the job done if given full support, Webber can't.. why risk?

people used to blame Ferrari back then but the truth was Rubens was never in a position to challengue Michael and he wasn't as efficient either... Webber might be able to challengue Vettel sometimes, but he's proven not to be as efficient
Date: May 29, 2011 08:24AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
It's not surprising that Webber's been blown away. I thought it would happen last year, to be honest, but Webber managed to build some momentum through Vettel's bad luck.

Anyway, it should be an interesting race with a (relatively) mixed grid, particularly to see what Hamilton and Rosberg can do. I think the Ferrari race pace will be very good, so it will be interesting to see if they can use good strategy to move up the field.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 29, 2011 11:15AM
Posted by: Nickv
Drivers say the resurfacing of the road at the exit of the tunnel make the bumps there far worse, which increase the chance of having an accident. I also don't understand why they still have that ridiculous pointy barrier there. Is the run-off area for the situation that a driver goes straight on? Are there tyre barriers at the end of that run-off? James Allen reported the suggestion of having a diagonal armco running from the right side of the track to the point of Perez' impact. Seems like a logical idea for me. But with the situation as it is, and having had four of this kind of accident, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a similar accident during the race.
Date: May 29, 2011 11:48AM
Button's race is entirely dictated whether Webber jumps him or not imo.

If Webber jumps him he will just go backwards, if he maintains position he can stay there, and hopefully challenge Vettel. Button has such an amazing opportunity today, I hope he makes the most of it!

Date: May 29, 2011 11:53AM
Posted by: gav
I think the likelihood of an accident during the race is less. They won't be running quite as on edge as they were during qualifying and the cars should be a bit more supple with the heavier fuel load (though if any of the accidents were caused by bottoming out, then the risk is still there, though I don't think either were).
Date: May 29, 2011 11:54AM
Posted by: Morbid
Fernando claims that the aggressive aero designs this year are at the root of the four crashes out of the tunnel this weekend. Brawn denies this is the case, and said Nico crashed because the tyre pressures were low, and he had a high fuel load. I side with Alonso though.

When you are braking, the car pitches forward and the rear lifts up. All the crashes we have seen were due to rears locking up. We also saw cars bottoming out over the bumps. The only way I can see rears locking at the start of the braking zone, is if they are not sufficiently in contact with the tarmac. The exit speed is so great, that all the downforce should delay lock-ups until further into the braking zone. This is just what we saw with Liuzzi and he, note this, is also the only driver that does not benefit from an off-throttle blown diffuser!

IMHO the off throttle blown diffusers are sucking the rear of the car onto the bumps at the crest while braking. This happens to be the start of the braking zone too. Normally the car would lift it's rear end, and when the downforce is reduced sufficiently the rears might lock up. Instead we see cars that immediately bottom out under braking, leaving the car to be driven by the front tyres = massive oversteer into the armco. Low tyre pressures only exacerbates the problem.

Come to think of it, it was exactly these kind of problems (low tyre pressures, cars bottoming out at high speed, massive oversteer) that created the infamous weekend at Imola in '94. It is not the track that is the problem. It is the cars. Another reason to ban off throttle blown diffusers. Which is probably why Brawn denies they are to blame and Fernando doesn't.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 29, 2011 12:46PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2011 12:55PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
These accidents have a lot to do with the bigger bumps in the resurface and slightly later braking causing the new braking point to be on the top of the crest, rather than before it.

Drivers say the resurfacing of the road at the exit of the tunnel make the bumps there far worse, which increase the chance of having an accident. I also don't understand why they still have that ridiculous pointy barrier there. Is the run-off area for the situation that a driver goes straight on? Are there tyre barriers at the end of that run-off? James Allen reported the suggestion of having a diagonal armco running from the right side of the track to the point of Perez' impact. Seems like a logical idea for me. But with the situation as it is, and having had four of this kind of accident, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a similar accident during the race.

Well the barrier isn't that pointy. It isn't like hitting the end of an unprotected armco or wall. But if you extend it over to the drivers right and cover the gap, you've still got a small run off area anyway. If you install an angled barrier then it'll spit them out on the exit of the chicane into traffic and we've created a new problem.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2011 01:00PM
Wont get any other clearer evidence than that Dave.

Morbid - good points, and fine reasoning, but I think each incident so far has been different. There's no doubt that the line Perez took out of the tunnel, and into the braking zone was slightly odd. Did he get onto the marbles and dirty up his tyres?

Also, Nico's accident was further into the braking zone I believe, im tending to agree with Brawn about the tyre pressures, fuel load etc. We also need to consider KERS as Ant mentioned.

I wouldn't outright blame the engine map settings being used... I guess even with the data, the bumps will make any analysis very difficult to understand, and I would bet that both Sauber, and Mercedes reach different conclusions of what the car is doing and how it's reacted after looking at their data.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy