Lotus Renault GP - wtf!?

Posted by danm 
Re: Lotus Renault GP - wtf!?
Date: December 08, 2010 07:48PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
This whole situation pissed me off no end. So much so I couldn't focus on the DT I was supposed to be doing at the time. Group Lotus were getting good coverage with Fernandes and co, and to pull the coverage out and pump a large sum of money into another team seems a bit petulant.

What's more annoying is they hijacked the black/gold livery idea from Lotus Racing, who were getting their fans involved with the colour scheme. Talk about kicking a man whilst he's down.

It makes no sense to me. Why have Lotus Cars decided to get involved now? It would be a bit nicer for most fans if Renault either stayed Renault, or changed to Proton, and Team Lotus was given to Lotus Racing.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: December 08, 2010 07:51PM
Posted by: pironi14
at least the names arnt going to be

Renault Lotus
Lotus Renault

I would be very suprised if the Current Lotus go with Lotus Renault as Well , Truth be told maybe they should go for a whole new Name from the past. Brabham,Shadow to name a couple
Date: December 08, 2010 08:01PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lotus (Fernandez outfit) > Name only.
>
> Lotus (Proton to Renault) > Investment from the
> actual road going car company Lotus.
>
> It is basically the Lotus F1 name, by name only,
> versus the actual Lotus car company who make
> Lotuses.

Colin Chapman must be spinning in his grave over this. TF has bought the name back with the tradition of the old Lotus and the blessing of the family name. Lotus Group, who have always been separate from the F1 side since its inception, are now being blindly bought in to make a quick buck, based on sales of new models which currently don't exist, and wont do for a few years. Not to mention the fact the last time new models were bought in Lotus went bankrupt, because it simply is not what Lotus are about.

Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> It makes no sense to me. Why have Lotus Cars
> decided to get involved now? It would be a bit
> nicer for most fans if Renault either stayed
> Renault, or changed to Proton, and Team Lotus was
> given to Lotus Racing.

Because Danny Bahar, who heads this up, is quite bitter against TF and the current Lotus F1 operation. He wanted to bring Lotus into F1 in a different way to TF, the way they are currently doing it with Renault (very much not the ethos of Lotus). So he objected when the rights were sold for TF to use the name on a multi-year deal. Now they've had an opportunity, they've gone for it, and done their best to force the current Team Lotus out of it by any means necessary.

The thing is TF will probably win the naming rights court case to legally use "Team Lotus". As much as Group Lotus object, they have tried to buy the rights many times from David Hunt for the same reason. I swear they still don't realise they cant actually use the constructor name "Lotus Renault F1" as all the other teams would have to agree to change it from Renault F1, including Team Lotus. Parts of this seem so terribly thought out it does have a bit of an Andrea Moda stance to it.

In essence, this will probably end up destroying the brand, and that is the core of why F1 fans, old and new, are extremely angry at the news of this. Pure greed on such a blind, moronic level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 08:12PM by 97kirkc.
Date: December 08, 2010 09:20PM
Posted by: gav
Frantic
i think this will end when

1. Clive Chapman says if he supports Lotus F1 Racing or Proton.

Clive Chapman won't have a say in this. This is a purely political situation and he holds no weight. He's sold or licensed his rights to the Team Lotus name and that's as much influence as he can have. In terms of clout, he's a nobody in this.

I don't know why everyone (meaning Malaysia) is clamouring to get the black and gold livery. That's not lotus. That's just a sponsor. The only reason they can be after it is that it's associated with Senna and to a lesser extent Andretti, Peterson, Fittipaldi, Mansell and de Angelis. Pre-sponsorship Lotus had probably the best driver of all time, and it is Lotus. As much as I like black cars (indeed what got me into F1 was my dad's large model JPS Lotus), if I were a Lotus die-hard, I'd be desperately clamouring to use or stick with the green and yellow.

Still, as much I want Tony's Lotus to stick to their guns, use a black and gold livery and show a large middle finger to Proton, seeing 4 Lotus Renaults with almost identical liveries would be ridiculous situation and frankly a farce.
Date: December 08, 2010 09:31PM
gav Wrote:
> > i think this will end when
>
> 1. Clive Chapman says if he supports Lotus F1
> Racing or Proton.
>
>
> Clive Chapman won't have a say in this. This is a
> purely political situation and he holds no weight.
> He's sold or licensed his rights to the Team Lotus
> name and that's as much influence as he can have.
> In terms of clout, he's a nobody in this.
>
> I don't know why everyone (meaning Malaysia) is
> clamouring to get the black and gold livery.
> That's not lotus. That's just a sponsor. The only
> reason they can be after it is that it's
> associated with Senna and to a lesser extent
> Andretti, Peterson, Fittipaldi, Mansell and de
> Angelis. Pre-sponsorship Lotus had probably the
> best driver of all time, and it is Lotus. As much
> as I like black cars (indeed what got me into F1
> was my dad's large model JPS Lotus), if I were a
> Lotus die-hard, I'd be desperately clamouring to
> use or stick with the green and yellow.
>
> Still, as much I want Tony's Lotus to stick to
> their guns, use a black and gold livery and show a
> large middle finger to Proton, seeing 4 Lotus
> Renaults with almost identical liveries would be
> ridiculous situation and frankly a farce.

Indeed, in fact JPS used to get very annoyed when people referred to them as Lotus cars, as they wanted everyone to called them John Player Specials. I would have thought the FIA will step in regarding the livery issue if that really did go ahead. We could barely tell The Force India and the McLaren apart from a distance in 2007, despite them not being that similar up close, so this would be an obvious nightmare for journo's, commentators and fans.

Date: December 08, 2010 09:36PM
Posted by: Slash
like Red Bull and Toro Rosso? :-p

no but i think in the end TF will win... it just seems to be a move feed up by pure anger against TF and his team, like kirk says, terribly thought out
Date: December 09, 2010 08:28AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Lotus (Fernandez outfit) > Name only.

Name, history, and Chapman family involvement.

Lotus (Proton to Renault) > Investment from the actual road going car company Lotus.

The car company Lotus does not exist. It is Proton. They have no links to the real Lotus. It is a name only.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 09, 2010 09:50AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 09, 2010 01:27PM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
The Lotus in IndyCar ( with Sato ) is from Team Lotus or Group Lotus?
Date: December 09, 2010 02:47PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
chet Wrote:
> Dont all the teams have to agree to the name
> change in order for them to get the prize money of
> Renault F1?

Lotus are only a sponsor (like Vodafone or AT&T), so they don't need to change the name.

They probably would have removed Renault from the team name if they could have without losing money.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: December 09, 2010 02:58PM
Posted by: ipswich2007
why is renault even in the name if renault dont even own 0.1 % of the shares anymore , all sold

so why dont they call it Genii Capital GP or at the very least Lotus Genii not Lotus Renault because of my previous point

car could be Genii-Renault?

the oficial team name could be Lotus Genii Renault (Title Sponsor - Chassis - Engine such as Rothmans Williams Renault)

what wrong with that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 03:00PM by ipswich2007.
Date: December 09, 2010 03:35PM
Posted by: IWE
ipswich2007 Wrote:
> the oficial team name could be Lotus Genii Renault
> (Title Sponsor - Chassis - Engine such as
> Rothmans Williams Renault)
>
>
> what wrong with that?

Chassis is named Renault and it wont change.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: December 09, 2010 04:51PM
i wrote that because i thought Renault had sold 100% of their involvement but they still own 25% so its cool :P

so on the FIA graphics then it wil still be a Renault and in the constructors title, theyll still be called renault.. like williams were still called williams even when BMW enforced it being BMW williams.

if thats so then im fine with that , i have no problem with it being a lotus sponsered renault.

cos we will still have renault & lotus racing on the grid in 2011

easily distinguishable

Date: December 09, 2010 05:12PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Renault have 0% ownership of the team now.

They owned 25% during the 2010 season, but sold that to Genii, who then made the deal with Lotus.

Now, Group Lotus and Genii each own 50%

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 05:13PM by SchueyFan.
Date: December 09, 2010 07:10PM
Posted by: Slash
thx Dave, that clear things i've no idea how everything evolved since Chapman
Date: December 09, 2010 08:20PM
well then so i refer back to my previous message

why is renault even in the name if renault dont even own 0.1 % of the shares anymore , all sold

so why dont they call it Genii Capital GP or at the very least Lotus Genii not Lotus Renault because of my previous point

car could be Genii-Renault?

the oficial team name could be Lotus Genii Renault (Title Sponsor - Chassis - Engine such as Rothmans Williams Renault)

what wrong with that?

Date: December 09, 2010 08:28PM
Posted by: chet
Renaults support apparently will be more than engines. It will be technical support too... I think the reason to keep Renault as the constructor is to avoid the name change (and risk of not getting the prize money).

I just hope this doesnt change anything with the managment.

Boullier was 2nd to Horner for team boss of the year IMO. Renault did a fantastic job this year (amazingly they've only this year solved problems going back to 2007 to do with the wind tunnel).

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 09, 2010 10:01PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
ipswich2007 Wrote:
> well then so i refer back to my previous message
>
> why is renault even in the name if renault dont
> even own 0.1 % of the shares anymore , all sold
>
> so why dont they call it Genii Capital GP or at
> the very least Lotus Genii not Lotus Renault
> because of my previous point

What the @#$%& have you been smoking, sonny?

RENAULT SUPPLY THE ENGINES TO LOTUS - HENCE, LOTUS-RENAULT.

Jeeeeeeeeeeez. It's not that difficult to comprehend.
Date: December 09, 2010 10:31PM
loque Wrote:
> What the @#$%& have you been smoking, sonny?
>
> RENAULT SUPPLY THE ENGINES TO LOTUS - HENCE,
> LOTUS-RENAULT.
>
> Jeeeeeeeeeeez. It's not that difficult to
> comprehend.

A massive +1. He could try reading the bloody thread as well! What part of Constructors names have been set is also hard to understand?

Date: December 09, 2010 10:48PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I think TF's Lotus should go Green and White like the BP days. @#$%& car, nice livery. Either that or something similar to the Camel livery, which was also nice.

Whuddy'a think?

Something like this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 10:51PM by loque.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy