Webber broke shoulder after Singapore GP

Posted by SchueyFan 
Webber broke shoulder after Singapore GP
Date: December 07, 2010 02:25AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
[www.jamesallenonf1.com]
[www.jamesallenonf1.com]

There are two issues to this, i think; did it affect his performance, and why didn't he tell the team?

Well considering he only lost out to Vettel in qualifying by less than a tenth in Japan, Korea and Brazil - it may well have. I'm sure it also played on his mind quite a lot, particularly in and after Korea, when he realised it must have been slipping away from him.

The reason he didn't tell Horner is more interesting. Did he fear Horner putting more support behind Vettel, or pitying him? But the fact that he didn't even tell Horner after the season seems to indicate that Webber seems to be more of an outcast within the team, especially if he's not even confident enough to tell the team boss of an injury which may have ruined his career dream.

X (@ed24f1)
Re: Webber broke shoulder after Singapore GP
Date: December 07, 2010 08:46AM
Posted by: gav
On one hand, he named two people within F1 who he'd told, so it's going to be true, but on the other hand, he's trying to sell books, so how much impact did it actually have?

Everyone expected Vettel to move over had he been ahead of Webber and Vettel himself was unable to win, so while the two sides of the garage weren't exactly friendly, they were going to play the team game if it was needed. What's happening in Webber's mind is interesting though - he must have assumed that the team would have instantly put all their effort into Vettel's car, and he didn't need another reason for them to do so.

It may have coincided with Vettel getting the upper hand again, but nothing changes - Webber lost the title when he sideswiped the wall in Korea.

I guess he's not offering it as an excuse so much as publicising his book. We all know he's got a book coming out now - before I had no idea.
Date: December 07, 2010 01:20PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
On one hand, he named two people within F1 who he'd told, so it's going to be true, but on the other hand, he's trying to sell books, so how much impact did it actually have?

Well it's clearly hyped up since the bike information is wrong. He said he hadn't gotten on the bike since his last accident, yet we seen him at Singapore on it.

It may have coincided with Vettel getting the upper hand again, but nothing changes

It didn't though. He lost the upper hand to Vettel at Monza, 2 races before his accident. He was awful at Singapore before it too. In the 2 events leading up to the accident, he didn't lead Vettel on any lap other than during pit stops. The upper hand was already lost, the accident in Korea just hammered it home.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 07, 2010 03:25PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
And it was only due to Vettel's errors and bad luck (Silverstone, Hungary, Spa) that he ever had the upper hand at all in the second half of the season.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: December 07, 2010 07:23PM
Posted by: Slash
yeah i don't think it cost him the championship either, but he is not saying that anyway.... i would've done the same thing though, it was probably the only shot he'll have and with just 4 races to go and leading the championship.... he probably taught it wasn't that bad to tell it to the team as that could've probably cost him a lot more... not because they would've gone 100% on Vettel's but probably because of the precautions (is that a word?) and the team stressing out could've ultimately cost him on performance or even miss a race

gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I guess he's not offering it as an excuse so much
> as publicising his book. We all know he's got a
> book coming out now - before I had no idea.

but Gav i'm not sure if Webber has publicly spoken about it, more like someone read it and decided to make a "news" out of it... i wonder if he wrote his view on the Silverstone wing incident, that would be more interesting but i doubt he has permission to talk about it
Date: December 08, 2010 10:51AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
but Gav i'm not sure if Webber has publicly spoken about it, more like someone read it and decided to make a "news" out of it

Well he published it in a book. Is that not public enough?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 08, 2010 09:32PM
Posted by: Slash
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but Gav i'm not sure if Webber has publicly spoken
> about it, more like someone read it and decided to
> make a "news" out of it
>
> Well he published it in a book. Is that not public
> enough?

what i meant is that he didn't went to a newspaper claiming that he had in his book details about a late season injury... he just wrote it in his book, if you want to read it, good if not who cares?... but then somebody read it and decided to made a "news" out of it, and i think (i might be wrong) that Webber had no intention to use that as a way to promote his book..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy