Lotus Renault GP - wtf!?

Posted by danm 
Lotus Renault GP - wtf!?
Date: December 08, 2010 10:57AM
Posted by: danm
[www.gpupdate.net]

Renault F1 to morph into ‘Lotus Renault GP’

8 December 2010

Genii Capital and Group Lotus plc today announced the creation of 'Lotus Renault GP', the successor to the Renault F1 Team that will contest the 2011 FIA Formula One World Championship. The announcement comes as part of a 'strategic alliance' between the two companies and at the moment means there will be two teams running as Lotus next season.

“Following the return of the Lotus name to Formula 1 in 2010, under licence from Group Lotus, this historic announcement marks the complete return of the Lotus manufacturer to the sport, with the full backing of its parent company Proton,” read an announcement to the press.

Group Lotus plc will become a major equity partner of Genii Capital in Lotus Renault GP, and the two parties have concluded a title sponsorship agreement that will run until the end of the 2017 season.

“We are delighted that we can now go public with the news that we will be racing as Lotus Renault GP in 2011,” said Gerard Lopez, Chairman of Renault F1 Team. “It is extremely exciting to begin a new era for the team in partnership with Group Lotus, and we will continue to enjoy a strong relationship with Renault over the coming seasons.

“It is a tribute to the excellent work this year by the team in Enstone that we have been able to attract both major sponsorship and new investment for a very bright future.”

“I can think of no better platform for automotive brand communications than motorsport and F1 is the very pinnacle of open-wheel racing,” added Group Lotus CEO Dany Bahar.

“We’re well aware that there has been a lot of controversy around the usage of our brand in F1 and I’m delighted to be able to formally clarify our position once and for all: we are Lotus and we are back.”

The new partnership has been enabled by Renault selling its remaining shares in the team to Genii Capital. Group Lotus plc will subsequently become a major equity partner in Lotus Renault GP, which it will co-own with Genii Capital.

Renault meanwhile will continue its support of the team with which it won the 2005 and 2006 world championships, as a supplier of engines and technological and engineering expertise. Reflecting this, Lotus Renault GP will continue to compete with the Renault chassis name and Renault will enjoy ‘pre-eminent brand exposure’ on the livery.

For 2011, the Lotus Renault GP cars will race in a ‘new interpretation’ of the iconic black and gold colours that were last used when Lotus and Renault joined forces in the 1980s.

Where this leaves Tony Fernandes’ Team Lotus, which is also planning to use the famous ‘John Player’ livery in 2011, as well as Renault engines, is unknown. The dispute between Team Lotus and Group Lotus is currently due to go before the High Court in London next year.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 10:57AM by danm.
Re: Lotus Renault GP - wtf!?
Date: December 08, 2010 11:00AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Not sure it's a wtf. We've known this was coming for months. We'll have 2 Lotus GPs on the grid, with slightly different names, completely different owners, but extremely similar colour schemes.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 08, 2010 11:05AM
Yeah, in the pipeline for a while, but all the same a little bizarre.

Being that the Proton part of Lotus is now the REAL Lotus, and the other, a fake version of itself. I wonder if they just fold over and rename as 1Malaysia.

Clever move though on Protons part. Podiums next year highly probable.

Date: December 08, 2010 11:22AM
Posted by: chet
A shame for Tony, he seemed a great guy and was doing a good job...

The ironic thing is although;

"we are Lotus and we are back.”

You never were, so you cant be back.

GL or Lotus cars had nothing to do with the former team :s. Am I right or can someone correct me....

Its a complete mess, and a shame for F1 that GL are being this way. Tony is going to have no choice but to give up the name. Its also a shame we no longer have Renault F1 (though I guess that was so last year!!!).

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 08, 2010 11:23AM
Being that the Proton part of Lotus is now the REAL Lotus, and the other, a fake version of itself.

Well not really. Some consider "real" Lotus to be the 2010 F1 team, given the rights to Team Lotus are legally owned by them. Group Lotus, the cars, are owned by a generic Asian company and have no ties at all to the racing side.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 08, 2010 11:24AM
GL or Lotus cars had nothing to do with the former team :s. Am I right or can someone correct me....

Correct. They were never in F1. Team Lotus is the old F1 team, and the rights to that have passed on to Tony F and the 2010 F1 team.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 08, 2010 02:03PM
Its a bit of a hash.

The REAL Lotus as a manufacturer split and created what became Lotus in F1 as we knew way back in the 50's.

But since they ceased in F1 in 94, the leftovers are merely the Lotus name as a brand with nothing to do with anything bar the title which TF now owns.

So really, the REAL Lotus leftovers (now Proton owned) are actually the closest to the original Lotus from which the Lotus in F1 as we knew of stemmed.

So Renault is actually more Lotus than we'd like to think. Assuming that when Proton aqquired it, it took with it all personnel and such.

Date: December 08, 2010 02:05PM
Posted by: raulongo
Full-Size render here...

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.
Date: December 08, 2010 02:15PM
Posted by: WestPunx
I'm confused by it all...so the 2011 season will have 2 Lotus teams (4 Lotus cars?!) on the grid?
Date: December 08, 2010 02:19PM
Posted by: IWE
Ugly it is.. (N)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 02:19PM by IWE.
Date: December 08, 2010 02:48PM
Posted by: ipswich2007
so will the chassis be the renault r31?

lotus-renault r31
renault-lotus r31?

or is lotus purely a sponsor and Renault/Genii still runing the team and it's like Vodafone McLaren?

WTF is going on?

edit - or will it be a new chasis lotus 128 etc?

Edit 2 - Will the FIA even allow this to happen? because they are on the entry list as Renault F1 Team, FIA might say no way you're changing it's way too similar to someone elses?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 02:49PM by ipswich2007.
Date: December 08, 2010 02:52PM
Dont all the teams have to agree to the name change in order for them to get the prize money of Renault F1?

Date: December 08, 2010 03:01PM
screw the prize money its more important that the FIA put a stop to this silly fight between Team Lotus and Proton :@

its simple Tony Fernandes got there first! the team in the fans eyes is Lotus thats it no lotus racing no team lotus just Lotus

now proton come along being idiots

it should be called proton renault

would be better for exposure because proton get more global sales and are in more markets than lotus

i was saying to my dad they could plaster Lotus stickers on it for the British and US GP's - Lotus big markets. but still call the team proton ?

Date: December 08, 2010 03:21PM
Posted by: Frantic
This is a complete mess... Group Lotus should support 1Malaysia, and Team Lotus and Group Lotus would be together like 1958-94. they are argueing like teenage girls and ruining an historic name. btw That Renault looks horrible (what is the bloody problem of changing the Total colours?). we are losing an awesome livery like this year´s for that?!

also i would like to know what thinks John Player Special for two teams using their corporative colours ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 03:24PM by Frantic.
Date: December 08, 2010 03:23PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dont all the teams have to agree to the name
> change in order for them to get the prize money of
> Renault F1?

Correct. So on one hand you have a company buying into a top team but cant change their constructors name from Renault without the other teams agreeing to it (you can guess which one won't) and on the other you have a team promoting a brand which they are currently suing for breach of contract and name disputes. Not to mention the liveries being a commentators/journalists/fans nightmare.

Date: December 08, 2010 03:47PM
Lotus (Fernandez outfit) > Name only.

Lotus (Proton to Renault) > Investment from the actual road going car company Lotus.

It is basically the Lotus F1 name, by name only, versus the actual Lotus car company who make Lotuses.

I have no idea why Proton are being awkward, probably some financial gain to take the brand to Renault and take eyes off the back of the grid Fernandez' Lotus.

Still, Proton are getting free exposure under TF Lotus when it has nothing to do with Lotus the car company.

Date: December 08, 2010 03:52PM
I think TF should bite the bullet and accept defeat. He wont lose the many fans he's got this season, and the Norfolk based team will still be a favourite of many fans. Ive earned alot of respect for TF (and Manor)... It's not Lotus who I supported this year, it was the team.

He should let GL do this... 7 years is a big committment to make, and I dont reckon they'll have enough Lotus sales to maintain the Lotus coverage. IMO Proton will soon feature on the cars. I just really really dont hope they ruin the great team Renault have created under Boullier.

Another ironic thing about this all... We all remember the Litespeed Lotus entry (Mikey G's effort amungst others!) welll.... It was TF who then went behind litespeed and took control via Protons assisstance, and then poached Mikey G. The guy who was behind the litespeed entry was offered a role within the team (accepted) but was obviously very unhappy at how things happened. In hindsight he probably thinks the right thing happened... But its all business isnt it.

Date: December 08, 2010 04:53PM
im quite surprised group lotus havent told renault to cancel their engine deal with team lotus tbh , would be no stupider than the rest of this mess

Date: December 08, 2010 06:30PM
Posted by: Nickv
Mike Gascoyne's Twitter:

Lots of fans saying we should stick with the green and yellow livery now, let me know what you think
1 hour ago

Green and Yellow - 77%. Black and gold - 15%. Red and gold 4%. Others - 4%. Seems pretty conclusive
28 minutes ago

It would make this whole affair a tiny bit less embarrassing if they stuck with green and yellow.
Date: December 08, 2010 07:15PM
Posted by: Frantic
i think this will end when

1. Clive Chapman says if he supports Lotus F1 Racing or Proton.
2. The issue with David Hunt and Proton about Team Lotus name is finished.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy