Official Korean Grand Prix 2010 Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
Yeah the spray was massive, but i think at speed it would have cleared quite quick (warmer tyres + faster movement = more water dissipation).

Was surprised that many drivers commented that there was no aquaplaning. I would have thought that all that water just staying on the track it would be mayhem. Maybe it was the fact that because the track was so new it was still completely flat so all the water just spread over the circuit.

Really think this circuit has potential though.

gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The reason for starting behind the safety car
> isn't to get the drivers used to the conditions,
> but so they're spread out. What the organisers
> don't want is all the cars going side by side
> around the opening lap when they can't see either
> each other or the marshals posts.

As Lewis said at a previous event though, that doesn't work. A rolling start in the wet means you're creating spray before you even get to the start line, and you reach turn 1 at a higher speed. A standing start, you might be closer together, but the spray and speed is significantly less.

I agreed with the red flag, but not with the second SC. There has been much worse than that, even with the track issues.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: Official Korean Grand Prix 2010 Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: October 27, 2010 11:11AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
LOL Chet :P
Can someone find this photo in high resolution, and post a link here?

[cache2.asset-cache.net]

EDIT: Thank you Raulongo for the post below :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2010 09:39AM by alexf1man.

YEONGAM GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 24: Sebastian Vettel of Germany and Red Bull Racing drives during the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the
Korea International Circuit on October 24, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea.
(Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images)

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2010 01:06AM by raulongo.
This is how the championship standings would look like with previous point system:

after 17 rounds:

1.Alonso 93 points
2.Webber 88 points
3.Hamilton 87 points
4.Vettel 84 points
5. Button 77 points
6.Massa 57 points
7.Kubica 48 points
8.Rosberg 47 points
9.Schumacher 24 points
Its ironic, because despite all the praise of the new system, the old system makes it closer, as in the top 4 drivers are only covered by 90% of a race win instead of 100%

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 28, 2010 07:06PM
Posted by: chet
SchueyFan Wrote:
> Its ironic, because despite all the praise of the
> new system, the old system makes it closer, as in
> the top 4 drivers are only covered by 90% of a
> race win instead of 100%

No irony.

The point of the new rules was to increase the award of a win, relative to the other posistions, whilst keeping the gap between the rest of the points posistions fairly similar to the old system (as a %).

Alonso's won the most races, so its only right he leads by a bigger gap than with old system.

edit - we should be greatful that either RBR driver hasnt dominated. The only reason it's been so close all the way through is because no one driver has managed to get a real hold on the WDC, except Alonso recently. If someone did a Button 09 then we would be looking at a boring WDC.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2010 07:08PM by chet.
Well apparently Ferrari used some more team orders in Korea...

[www.grandprix.com]

Its surprising that it slipped under the radar for so long, but at the same time, I don't think Mark Hughes would make it up either.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 29, 2010 03:32AM
Posted by: Slash
when i first saw Hamilton overtaking Alonso i taught he was going "too fast" under the safety car and that would earn him a penalty, apparently it was just Massa slowing down... ;-) but either way there's no proof that was a team order, maybe Felipe pull a Vettel and fell asleep under the SC?
Date: October 29, 2010 11:56AM
Posted by: gav
That's not team orders - it's common sense. A team would do similar regardless of championship positions.

Either way, it made little difference as Hamilton was only just up the road, so Alonso would have still come out 3rd.
Pure lies.

On lap 31, Massa was 11 seconds behind Alonso when the safety car came out.

Massa pits, and his total time was 24 seconds, Alonso pits a lap later with a total time of 27.6 seconds.

Alonso was 5 seconds in front of Hamiton on lap 31, and by my reckoning, came out 3 seconds behind Hamilton after his pitstop.

Hamilton, was 8 seconds ahead of Massa on lap 31, so it's natural for Alonso to slip in between the two given he came out 3 seconds behind Hamilton.

Yes, on paper its not clear, but I think Mark Hughes is a reasonably credible source.

Even if he came out behind Massa, he probably still would have been ahead of Schumacher, so it wouldn't have really affected the final result as Massa would have moved over and even Hamilton said today that Alonso could have past him.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 08:04PM by SchueyFan.
The thing is, Hamilton had a 6 second lead over Massa. (got the initial times wrong, i counted wrong, so i said 8 initially)

Alonso came out 3 seconds behind Hamilton, so he would have had a 3 second lead over Massa anyway.

Alonso lost 3 seconds in the pit, if he had a good pitstop, he would have come out neck and neck with Lewis.

So it's safe to say, he lost a total of 5 seconds on his in lap, 3 seconds in the pit, and 8 in total.

He had a 5 second lead over Hamilton before the safety car, minus the 8 seconds he loses, and hey presto, come out 3 seconds behind Lewis.

His initial lead of 11 over Massa, would have decreased to 3 seconds, which looked about right.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 08:15PM by ralv585.
Date: October 29, 2010 09:33PM
Posted by: Slash
but ralv, that's assuming that every car on the track remain at full speed while SC was on track... they could've all slow down a bit?

the reason i think it's not true and it's pure speculation is that when Alonso came out, Hamilton was in the straight but Massa was nowhere to be seen, this track is not Monaco, even if he slow down massively he should've still been at least entering the main straight considering the lenght of it...

the only way that strategy could've been implemented was way before Alonso had his pitstop, probably by the time Massa left the pit lane, but like gav points out, that wasn't a team order, or at least one FIA would consider ilegal, is just a strategy call...

Mark Hughes can find more material on team orders in Suzuka if he likes to speculate, was Jenson sent to slow the Red Bulls so Hamilton can play the catch game?
but ralv, that's assuming that every car on the track remain at full speed while SC was on track... they could've all slow down a bit?

They'd have all raced to the delta times after the Valencia mess. Gaps would have stayed as near enough constant.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Yeah, the gaps would have stayed constant because of the set delta times.

The only question is where Alonso lost the 5 seconds (not the 3 second delayed pitstop)

My guess is that Lewis and Massa didn't really need to slow down that much as they might have been i sector 3 when the SC came out, and the deltas may not have been set as they pushed for the pits, where Alonso and Vettel had to stick to it because they passed the pits.

Date: November 03, 2010 09:55AM
Posted by: Ali
I find it ridiculous, honestly...

"...
Nobody can predict what would have happened if Alonso, whose tyres were in better shape later on, had been forced to attack Hamilton. He may still have won the race but it is also easy to envisage Massa winning with Hamilton second and Alonso third. Had that been the case, Alonso would now lead the championship by just a single point from Mark Webber instead of 11 points."
"
Again with the: "If 'scenario 1', then 'scenario 2', so then..." and so on.

Autosport if an obvious "anti-Alonso" site, there is no doubt. They do not want Alonso nor Ferrari to win in any case.
Ali Wrote:
> Autosport if an obvious "anti-Alonso" site, there
> is no doubt. They do not want Alonso nor Ferrari
> to win in any case.

I think you're exaggerating. Autosport, being a British rag, are sometimes biased for British drivers, but I wouldn't say that makes your statement true. Not even slightly.

Autosport isn't bias, they are just @#$%&. Have been for 5 years or so now.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy