Jenson Button in carjack attempt in Brazil!

Posted by ralv585 
Jenson Button in carjack attempt in Brazil!
Date: November 07, 2010 01:44AM
Posted by: ralv585
From BBC: [www.bbc.co.uk]

"Armed attackers have targeted British Formula One driver Jenson Button in the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo, his McLaren racing team have confirmed.

His car was attacked, but Button was unhurt, McLaren said.

Button had been in practice for the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos, and will start 11th on the grid.

Brazil's major cities have a bad record for serious crimes of violence, which have caused concern ahead of major events like the 2014 World Cup.

"Would-be assailants made an attempt to approach the car that was carrying Jenson Button" on Saturday, said the statement from McLaren.

Button, 33, was quickly driven away by an armed policemen in the reinforced armoured vehicle provided by McLaren.

Button's manager Richard Goddard and trainer Mike Collier were also in the vehicle.

"The police driver of Jenson's vehicle reacted swiftly and, using avoidance techniques, rapidly forced his way through the traffic, taking Jenson and the other occupants of the car immediately away from any danger and back to their hotel," McLaren said.

The team added "the Sao Paulo authorities have also acted efficiently and will be providing additional security" on for Button and other team members on Sunday."

Shocking it happened to him!

Not a good message for the race or country :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 08:21AM by mortal.
Re: Jenson Button Carjacked in Brazil!
Date: November 07, 2010 03:23AM
Posted by: Slash
it's always the same in brasil isn't it?... helmets, hotel rooms, and now a drivers car...

not a bad day for Jenson but damn, every years seems to get worse.... i tought Brasil was one of the SA countries with better culture but they don't seem to care if you're a public figure or not... geez
Date: November 07, 2010 08:10AM
Posted by: EC83
For a start he's not 33 yet! :P

But yeah, that's a bit shocking. How come there's always so much higher risk of crime in Brazil than anywhere else? It's stayed pretty consistent over the years, incidents like this keep on happening. The security around Interlagos must be @#$%&.

Re: Jenson Button in carjack attempt in Brazil!
Date: November 07, 2010 08:45AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
McLaren drivers haven't had a good time leaving circuits this year, after Hamilton's donut in Melbourne!

But yes, its disappointing to hear this stuff happening, and its obviously a big problem with the Olympics and the World Cup coming up in the country.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 07, 2010 09:49AM
Posted by: casabonka
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For a start he's not 33 yet! :P
>
> But yeah, that's a bit shocking. How come there's
> always so much higher risk of crime in Brazil than
> anywhere else? It's stayed pretty consistent over
> the years, incidents like this keep on happening.
> The security around Interlagos must be @#$%&.

I suppose that comes from it being in one of the poorer locations F1 travels too, whether it be an oppurtunist or just everyday thing Im not sure.
Would've shaken him up a bit though I assume!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: November 07, 2010 09:56AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Same story every year at Brazil. It's ridiculous.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 07, 2010 12:02PM
Posted by: Prblanco
Now that's something to be ashamed of :(

Sadly the security problem is not new in big cities here. Most people have gotten used to live with it.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: November 07, 2010 12:41PM
Posted by: marcl
The thing is from what Button said there is no way they could have known it was him in the car.

This is why Glock and Lewis were flown out the track in 2008 :).
Date: November 07, 2010 01:37PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
They really shouldn't have the World Cup there in four years time unless they can sort this problem out.
Seems the police can't stop it though, because it happens every year.
Date: November 07, 2010 02:20PM
Posted by: Frantic
as far as i know, around Interlagos there is one of the poorest suburbs of Sao Paulo...

Date: November 07, 2010 02:45PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I was interested to read on Saward's site that the cars that Button's car rammed during the escape followed him back to the hotel to get insurance details.

I don't know how the insurance companies work it out, but it could be quite expensive if a member of the public made a similar escape.

Also, some Sauber mechanics were also mugged at the same location yesterday.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy