Official Korean Grand Prix 2010 Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
Also what time in England does the Brazilian GP start? I remember it in previous years being 5pm. But according to BBC and f1.com it says 4pm. Im not sure whether this accounts for the clocks changing next week.

I hope its 5pm as i don't usually get out of work till around 4.15pm on a sunday :(

Re: Official Korean Grand Prix 2010 Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: October 24, 2010 08:10PM
Posted by: EC83
In the UK I think it'll be 5PM. There'll be some confusion because it's after the clocks go back. It'll start at the same time it would've done in 2008 if they hadn't delayed the start.
The 4PM time is probably for when the build-up will start.

I hope so, else im going to have to tell work i've got to leave early for a family commitment or something ;)

Images of the GP
[www.facebook.com]

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 12:28AM by raulongo.
Date: October 25, 2010 10:17AM
Posted by: LS.
What a farce watching the race was yesterday if you didn't watch it live!

I was out for a friends birthday and there was no way I would've made it in before 3am, so I set my box to record it

The wet weather screwed it up and as it over ran it only recorded upto to lap 35, so I put my laptop on and went onto to BBC iplayer

At around lap 40 legard said they were changing to BBC 2 to continue coverage and then Iplayer abruptly stopped, so I clicked on iplayer to find the last 15 laps and it took me straight to the F1 headline page with a photo of Alonso leaping in the air on the podium and the results of the race.

Major F.U on BBC,s part only putting a percentage of the race on iplayer

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
rapid_f1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its a shame that he didnt
> win in 2008 and that may have been his best chance
> of the wdc gone.

It didn't look like Webber or Button would ever get the chance to win a title, so who knows.

Professor Sid Watkins said in F1 Racing this month that it would take two years to fully recover from the sort of injury that Massa had. With a full off season this year, and new tyres, I think he should be stronger next year.

X (@ed24f1)
If Massa can string together some momentum in the last couple of races, he's looking good for next year.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
variante_ascari Wrote:
> [sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net].
> snc4/71611_494121614923_622379923_7136375_263263_n
> .jpg
>
> LOL

I think he is tapping the outside of Alonso's left thigh, but this shall be ignored for the purposes of LOL ;)

Actually, having watched the 90-second highlights on iPlayer, I really don't understand Webber's second turn, as pointed out by Gav. The only explanation I can think of is that he was trying to block the track and get the race stopped, รก la Senna in Formula Ford. If so, that's pretty stupid - I'm surprised Brundle didn't pick up on it.

/edit: Actually, I don't think it was a turn, so much as grabbing the wheel and really not understanding what position it was in. Still, quite odd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 03:14PM by senninho.
Date: October 25, 2010 03:40PM
Posted by: gav
No no, I didn't think he was making an intentional move to take someone out, I was just trying to understand the instinct of it, as you would expect him to automatically steer away from an oncoming car or a heavy rear-impact with the wall. I don't think there was enough to make a concious decision to do something in a situation like that.

Maybe was concentrating on getting as many swearwords out in as short a time as possible. ;)
Oh, gotcha - in that case, I still agree ;)

I wonder if it was an instinctive reaction to try and continue, like Alex Wurz steering into a slide with no front wheels...

Date: October 26, 2010 08:36AM
Posted by: chet

Engineer:Lewis, hows the visibility?
Lewis: Yeah fine, its al good, lets go to the end.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
gav Wrote:
> No no, I didn't think he was making an intentional
> move to take someone out, I was just trying to
> understand the instinct of it, as you would expect
> him to automatically steer away from an oncoming
> car or a heavy rear-impact with the wall. I don't
> think there was enough to make a concious decision
> to do something in a situation like that.
>
> Maybe was concentrating on getting as many
> swearwords out in as short a time as possible. ;)

Or theres the option that he knew the car was going to end up off the track rather than stopping in the middle of it and just let it keep rolling.
If Nico had gone the other way, he would've been ok.

Just crap for Nico =(

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: October 26, 2010 11:38AM
Posted by: J i m
Or in all the wall himself..... Nico had a split second decision to make, either of them could have put him out of the race and one did.

Looking at some of the photos from after the race, I was shocked how dark it actually was. I know TV cameras adjust for light values, but I didn't realise how bad it'd gotten. I agreed with Lewis at the start of the race, they definitely should have been racing. But towards the end of the race, I think he might have been pushing the limits a bit. But that's what Lewis does, he wants to race no matter what. I'm pretty sure if the tarmac had ripped up at Korea and it'd formed massive holes in the track he'd be saying "Bah, we have steering wheels, put a cone down and we'll drive around it!". I love and respect that, but I think I disagree with his assessment on the light levels now. :p

Vettel probably jumped the gun a bit with his evaluation, but it was much darker than I thought when I originally said Vettel was being too careful.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 26, 2010 03:47PM
As I said in this or your other thread, check how bright the lights were on the back of the cars and the those around the track (for instance the green light at pit-exit). Vettel's interview (shown after the race) as the race was finishing gave a more accurate representation of how dark it actually was.
If you want to compare how dark it was on the track with how the cameras around the track made it look like it was fairly bright check the on-board cameras. You'll see how dark it was on the track compared to what the cameras around the track showed.

I usually don't comment any race but I just want to say that F1 is turning into a big joke!!!

First, the race doesn't start because it's raining (not pouring rain, like Malaysia last year, or Suzuka qually this year). Just steady rain, not a huge flash storm, flooding the track. Then the race starts behind the Safety car, because the drivers have to get used to wet conditions. What is F1 turning into? It's an outdoor sport, therefore it has to deal with the elements. A few years ago, we used to see races starting normally weather the track was wet or dry. Now on wet conditions (especially when it only rains on race day), the race has to start behind the Safety car because the precious little drivers are not used to drive on those conditions and, therefore, are too scared to spin out on the first lap. You don't see that happening on Moto GP, and they are running on powerful motorcycles.

Other thing that annoys me is the penalties FIA is giving to drivers on racing incidents kind of stuff they inadvertently cause. Buemi and Sutil's penalties are ridiculous! Just because they made mistakes where other drivers were caught too? They just lost control of their cars while trying to overtake another guy, and couldn't do nothing to avoid contact. Webber also made a mistake, and Rosberg was caught in it, but just because he hit the wall first he shouldn't be penalized? Maybe, in fact, the one to be penalized was the wall for making Webber's car to bounce off into Rosberg's path and next year that wall will be moved to another spot of the track (a more hidden one where he can't send cars bouncing into the middle of the track).

F1 needs to be a real sport again, for real drivers, and not for some prima donnas who think that all races should be driven in perfect conditions. No wonder, I've been kept losing interest in F1. What a disappointment!

Well, this is all. Sorry for my little rant, but (although it turned out to be an exciting race) I hated who things were directed on sunday, with all the delays and stupid calls.
Date: October 26, 2010 08:42PM
Posted by: Slash
i agree racer, i mena what's next they're going to paint the "ideal line" for them as well?... FIA's been "too careful" with their measures, and that has spoilt some drivers naturally, as we humans adapt to the social environment around us..

however i think it was a safe measure to start the race behind the safety car, the track was new, and no one knew exactly how it was working with the water even if Tilke claimed that it was good... but they pushed it too much, after 5 laps you could clearly see that the cars where leaving their marks and that they where removing the water... the best way to remove the water is having this cars passing by... going fast is even better as the amount of water they push out increases and the tyres get hotter and hotter and that helps to increase the temp on the asphalt as well..

but like i said they just pushed too much to a point where they just wanted no water whatsoever and that wasn't going to happen,. tbh i think Lewis calling "ridiculous" and that the tracks was for intermediates probably influenced the decision to start the "real race"... there's been worst conditions before and races kept going... but again, they've been pushing this safety boundaries too much to a point hat it's just going to end american-ish.. if you run out of the racing line a yellow flag comes out...
i've always admired F1 for the spirit of the competition and how they keep the race going even if there's a crane removing a vehicle or a debris in some corners or a crashed vehicle, but Korea was a it too much for my taste..

about the Sutil penalty, i think he earned it really good... he was causing a lot of trouble, he seemed totally out of control, but he was still on the track and his competitors, though they where pushed off where still racing as well, so they couldn't really penalized him until it came to a point where he was just out of order, his move on Kobayashi was impossible, and he tried the same about 2 laps before but ended up running wide almost to china, and instead of rejoining the track where he left he cut about 3 corners and only lost his place to Kobayashi... and to top it all he claimed he had "brake problems"... how irresponsible to race the way he was if it was true he had brake problems

the Buemi incident is a bit different no doubt, but they might have more information that we don't, like telemetry and stuff... from the video you can see Kubica overtaking a Williams in exactly the same area he lost the car... so i don't think he lost the car due to the water on the track, more like he misjudged the braking area and lock the rears, loosing control of the car and ramming the "innocent Glock"

with Webber i don't see how he can be penalized, from a very cold point of view, it was Rosberg who decided to keep the pedal down and dive down the inside.

also in Webber's deffence, he had 3 wheels on the air, there's some complaints about him trying to take out his competitors... there's no way that 1 wheel could've stopped the whole car, you can clearly see his front right stopped whilst in the air
Date: October 26, 2010 09:32PM
Racer#73
First, the race doesn't start because it's raining (not pouring rain, like Malaysia last year, or Suzuka qually this year). Just steady rain, not a huge flash storm, flooding the track. Then the race starts behind the Safety car, because the drivers have to get used to wet conditions.

The problem wasn't the rain, it was the drainage, or lack of. It's completely fresh tarmac, so the resin was still on the top - not only did that make it very smooth and glossy, but it also meant that the tarmac wasn't taking in water as much as it usually does (and tarmac doesn't take in water well anyway). So what rain was falling was staying on the track for far longer than normal.

Added to that there was very little wind, so when the cars were kicking up the water of the track, it was just falling straight back down on it again - usually it gets blown slightly in one direction or the other, speeding up the drying of the track.

The reason for starting behind the safety car isn't to get the drivers used to the conditions, but so they're spread out. What the organisers don't want is all the cars going side by side around the opening lap when they can't see either each other or the marshals posts.

I'm sorry, I normally think that safety has gone too far (in so far as drivers are getting complacent about it), but in my view it was 100% right to first red flag the race and then start behind the the safety car. They could have restarted it a bit sooner when the restart came, but that's my only gripe.

You cannot race just for our benefit when you can't even see beyond your own tyres.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy