Turbos and ground effects back for 2013? (Topic Merged)

Posted by senninho 
Turbos and ground effects back for 2013? (Topic Merged)
Date: September 03, 2010 04:13PM
Posted by: senninho
So says Autosport

If it's true, good things might happen. I think i'm one of a very small minority that liked the way the turbo 4cyl engines used to sound :S

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 05:31AM by Bigbrother.
Ground effect, turbos set for F1 return
Date: September 03, 2010 04:13PM
Posted by: LS.
[www.autosport.com]

By Jonathan Noble

Formula 1 teams are closing in on finalising all-new regulations for 2013 that will likely see a return of ground effect cars and turbo engines - as the sport witnessed in the early 1980's.

Several think-tank Working Groups have been set up to get consensus on moves to improve the spectacle of F1 and ensure it becomes more environmentally friendly.

On the engine side, draft regulations were circulated among teams a few weeks ago and the latest plan is for 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo engines to become standard.

The power units will be bolstered by numerous energy recovery systems, and should produce around 650bhp. Plans are also being considered to limit engines to just five per driver per season.

In a bid to further increase F1's green credentials, teams are also keen for there to be a fuel flow rate limit - which will ensure the engines are economical.

Williams technical director Sam Michael said: "Rather than dump as much fuel in as we can at the moment, there will be a fuel flow metre - so you won't be able to blow more than a certain amount of fuel. It is a good chunk less than we had at the moment."

On the chassis front, Williams co-owner Patrick Head and former Ferrari designer Rory Byrne are working with the FIA to head up concepts for new car rules.

Teams are keen for the cars to be better for overtaking than the current generation of machines - with ground effect being actively considered.

"They are talking about putting a greater proportion of down force to the diffuser, a ground effect car - like the early 1980's," added Michael. "They have been looking at that, as well as increasing crash protection at the front of the car by moving the sidepods further forwards."

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: Turbos and ground effects back for 2013?
Date: September 03, 2010 04:49PM
Posted by: gav
Not sure about more emphasis on the diffuser. Isn't the concern with multi-deck diffusers that they lift a lot of air away from any following car?

Turbo's I don't mind so much - it's not like we've got good-sounding, rough, challenging engines at the moment, so there'd be little lost and potentially more gained.
Re: Ground effect, turbos set for F1 return
Date: September 03, 2010 04:53PM
Posted by: superchargednut
Rubbish.

1.6? Jesus.

Supposed to be the PINNACLE. WHY ARE WE ALWAYS GOING BACKWARDS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2010 04:54PM by superchargednut.
Date: September 03, 2010 05:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
They are just randomly guessing now. The engine format and drastic aero changes every year show they aren't really on top of the issues are are just changing things hoping to hit the jackpot.

Alternatively you could standardise the diffuser and hire Swift to develop it, thus removing the dirty air issue. But this is F1, we don't want simplicity!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 03, 2010 05:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Not sure about more emphasis on the diffuser. Isn't the concern with multi-deck diffusers that they lift a lot of air away from any following car?

Yup. Which is why Swift developed a diffuser which produces almost no air disturbance to the car behind.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 03, 2010 09:52PM
superchargednut
1.6? Jesus.

It was 1.5 in the 80s, and they were producing upwards of 1,200bhp in qualifying.
Date: September 03, 2010 09:55PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure about more emphasis on the diffuser.
> Isn't the concern with multi-deck diffusers that
> they lift a lot of air away from any following
> car?

IIRC, moving the centre of pressure further forward and lengthening the path that the air has to travel reduces the turbulence. I'm sure Chetson will correct me ;)

Date: September 04, 2010 01:06AM
Posted by: casabonka
going to make our aussie v8s with also 650hp look a bit outdated!!
they r gonna have smaller engines than wrc..

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: September 04, 2010 02:01AM
Posted by: Morbid
Always with the whining. What is it with all these size queens? If they made regulations where the engine produced 650 hp, but had to be the size of a thimble, people would still be moaning "but F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport technology!"

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: September 04, 2010 05:21AM
Posted by: Bigbrother
I have merged those two topics to 1 since its going about the same subject :-)
Date: September 04, 2010 09:38AM
Since when has Bigbrother been a mod? :\
Always with the whining. What is it with all these size queens? If they made regulations where the engine produced 650 hp, but had to be the size of a thimble, people would still be moaning "but F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport technology!"

Well for a lot of people it's not specifically the size, but more the noise (which tends to be related to size). An F1 engine should sound as awesome as it looks. The current V8s only sound good if you don't compare them to the V10s and V12s of the 90s and 00s.

I don't mind V6s from a technical stand point I suppose, but the sound I see getting worse again.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 04, 2010 10:06AM
Posted by: Bigbrother
gav Schreef:
> Since when has Bigbrother been a mod? :\

since a week :-)
Date: September 04, 2010 11:19AM
Posted by: chet
senninho Wrote:

> IIRC, moving the centre of pressure further
> forward and lengthening the path that the air has
> to travel reduces the turbulence. I'm sure Chetson
> will correct me ;)

haha, i wouldnt so sure :p

lengthening the path would help, but how can you increase the length? swifts idea is probably the best thing as people have said.

As for the CoP... i thought the problem last year was the CoP was moving too far forward when following. So it wasnt so much a loss of downforce that was the issue, but more so a change in balance. That will change year to year though, depending on what the tyres demand. Like last year they needed more front loading to work. I still thought generally designers aimed to get the CoP as forward as possible, though I know with aircraft, stability depends on the distance between the CoP and CoG... im not sure how that works with 4 wheels.

All in all, i cant accuratey answer :p

Rules sound great though imo, but as Dave said, its like guessing now, seems to change every week!!!! i like small capacity turbos though, f1 needs to work on engine efficiency!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
DaveEllis Wrote:
> I don't mind V6s from a technical stand point I
> suppose, but the sound I see getting worse again.

Depends what you look for in an engine sound. The engine in this video is a 1.5-litre 4-cylinder turbo that produces about 400bhp. It is very similar to what we will see in F1 in 2013, but the 2013 engines will be far more powerful (650bhp compared to 400bhp). Bear with the video becuase he doesn't really get stuck in until about 0:37.

As far as I can see, F1 cars are going back to the golden years - both in looks, technology and sound :) first we had slick tyres, traction control and other driver aids banned, flipups on the bodywork have gone aswell. Now, we will see ground effect cars make a return as well as engines that sound similar and are characteristically similar to the golden years :) if we heard this back in the early 2000s, how could we ever complain?!

EDIT: Bit more info here...

[axisofoversteer.blogspot.com]

Looks like KERS will apply in 30 second bursts, and will increase the engine from 650bhp to 800bhp.

The sidepods being stretched forwards will mean that there will be less reliance on front wings and that there will be increased crash protection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 11:50AM by flat tyre.
Date: September 04, 2010 12:44PM
flat tyre
if we heard this back in the early 2000s, how could we ever complain?!

Because good cars on a @#$%& track is still @#$%&. ;)
Date: September 05, 2010 02:31AM
Posted by: superchargednut
gav Wrote:
> > 1.6? Jesus.
>
>
> It was 1.5 in the 80s, and they were producing
> upwards of 1,200bhp in qualifying.

I realised this straight after I posted it, but I was very tired and couldn't be bothered to correct myself :(

Date: September 05, 2010 05:03PM
chet Wrote:
> lengthening the path would help, but how can you
> increase the length?

In the early 80s, the underbody aero started more or less just behind the front wheels ;-)

Date: September 05, 2010 05:30PM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
gav wrote:
> Since when has Bigbrother been a mod? :\

Bigbrother wrote:
> since a week

WOW! Give him moderator status after causing trouble but ban Jorge, way to show your true character mortal and show how trashy the site has become. Very Sad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy