2010 European Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
Re: 2010 European Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: June 28, 2010 03:04PM
Posted by: zulu_85
Yeah I'd have to agree - for me the Grand Prix had controversy, a stand-out, gutsy drive from an unfancied driver and a horrific accident to keep us all talking for quite some time. Otherwise I'd say about, what, 80% of the field spent the entire race just staring at the gearbox of the guy ahead?
We forgive Turkey because the McLarens were right on the tail of the Red Bulls and then of course the Red Bulls took each other off and it'll be one of the stand-out points of the season, but then you had the likes of Schumacher, Rosberg, Kubica, Massa, Petrov and Alonso spending the entire racing just following each other around and around; with the exception of Petrov and Alonso - on account that they actually fought at the end - I think most of them reported back saying what a thoroughly boring Grand Prix it was to take part in.

Still, even though a lot of it just blanded out, I'm still delighted with Kobayashi and that Barrichello got 4th. Lovely result for him and Williams, though shame about Hulkenberg. Hope to see more of the good stuff for them. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 11:41PM by zulu_85.
Date: June 28, 2010 03:40PM
Posted by: marcl
Ferrari are still going on about it, can the FIA please take action against them as they broke the testing rules last week. They tested new parts with both drivers during a photo shoot, did they really need both drivers and new parts for a photo shoot lol. Even Luca said they pushed the rules. Maybe Mclaren should have a photo shoot next week to test their new parts, god if that had been them Ferrari would be going mad. Difference for every other team though is they have to book out a track and cannot just goto their own test track, good job it was all caught on video :)

Anyway Ferrari were not behind the safety car for a whole lap it turns out, Alonso lost 20 seconds being stuck behind it. MS has said they all got waved past until the leader was picked up. Alonso enters the pits as Lewis and Vettel leave. It took nearly 3 laps for the leader of the race to be behind the safety car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 04:01PM by marcl.
Date: June 28, 2010 04:35PM
Posted by: ipswich2007
The new Ferrari are not the same team as they used to be , the photo shoot all though questionable even for me a tifosi, was perfectly legal otherwise the FIA would have said something. If McLaren had their own test track they'd be doing the same, as would Renault Mercedes Williams everyone, F1 teams will always try anything just above the rules to stay ahead.

It is not something we can change in this forum so I don't know why people are getting so irate about it.

As I said Ferrari is a changed team now Ross Brawn and Schumi have gone so has the need to break rules. It seems to me Ferrari are trying everything to play by the rules

Key example - the F-duct in Barcelona everybody Red Bull moreover, went mental over how unsafe it was to use the hand off the wheel to turn on the f-duct, Ferrari then went away and moved the activation hole to make sure everyone was happy, yet now Red Bull themselves have an f-duct that is activated by the drivers wrist meaning they have to take their hand from the wheel (force india too have the same action) , yet nobody is moaning this time around despite how unsafe it still is.

As I said Schumacher is gone so any references to Rascasse-gate have nothing to do with anything the 'new' Ferrari does /will do. Stefano has too much integrity in the team to let that happen again.

Date: June 28, 2010 06:44PM
Posted by: WestPunx
Well done to Hamilton! Had a good enough pace to render the penalty practically useless. He almost cleared the safety car line, though...it was probably like, a nosebox length?

My hair stood up when I saw Webber taking flight...thank goodness he had no major injuries or anything. I guess he did prove that Red Bull does give one wings.
Date: June 28, 2010 07:01PM
They are changing the rules now so that no new parts can be tested during a photo shoot, its a bloody photo shoot there was no need for the entire new rear end to be on the car. That was used as a test session. Remember the FIA cannot really do much as this is an agreement between the teams.

[www.autosport.com]

In my view they got their just deserts this weekend, photo shoot the car as it was not with your 2 race drivers and the new rear end. It's going against the test ban.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 07:05PM by marcl.
Date: June 28, 2010 07:03PM
Posted by: chet
I call it as a pure racing incident. The speed differential was huge but I dont think anyone was to blame. It was amazed at how quick Webber got his car though. The bump in the tyre wall looked bad enough! Then again, its the not the first time Webbers flipped like that :p

Nice to see the roll hoop fully intact too! A true testiment to the saftey of modern F1!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 28, 2010 07:10PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my view they got their just deserts this
> weekend, photo shoot the car as it was not with
> your 2 race drivers and the new rear end. It's
> going against the test ban.

According to Edd Straw from Autosport on Twitter, Ferrari are definitely not the only team to use this loop-hole.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 28, 2010 07:21PM
Maybe we just dont hear about it then, but its not right is it.

Some teams do straight line testing which is allowed, but what Ferrari done was a whole lot more and I think this is why so many are angry about it and it needs to be stopped.
Date: June 28, 2010 08:10PM
I thought Ferrari made amazing use of that loop-hole.

They were filming and they decided to use a new car to do so. Had they been pounding round at full speed for 20+laps we would have known and there would have been a much larger uproar imo, but I dont think they exceeded what Merc did with Schumacher at Rockingham. Well played by Ferrari imo.

Date: June 28, 2010 08:34PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
chet Wrote:
> Had they been pounding round at full
> speed for 20+laps we would have known and there
> would have been a much larger uproar imo

You might to find and view the helmet cam on this "test" as while he probably wasn't blitzing it, he certainly wasn't out for a leisurely drive either.

Date: June 28, 2010 08:47PM
Well thats what I thought when I saw the video, but you can bet Schumacher wasnt out for a leisurely drive at Rockingham either ;-)!

As far as I can see whether its labelled at a promotional day or shakedown, what Ferrari and Merc did was no different, its just that nobody moaned when Merc did it. Maybe because it wasnt quite as public, I dont know...

Date: June 28, 2010 09:50PM
Ms was not out there testing a whole new rear end on the car and he was not on race tyres, alonso and massa were. When they do promo work they are not meant to use race tyres.

Yes it's a clever way around the loop hole, but then to turn round and say others are doing damage to the sport they need to look in the mirror. Did they really need both drivers and over 70 laps for their filming? No way.
Date: June 28, 2010 10:08PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
marcl Wrote:
> Ms was not out there testing a whole new rear end
> on the car and he was not on race tyres, alonso and massa were.

Neither Ferrari were on race tyres, they were on GP2-spec Bridgestone tyres as that is in the regulations for these photo-shoot days.

Date: June 29, 2010 07:04AM
Ah ok that's not as bad then, the pictures I saw made it look like race tyres. I still don't think it's right that they used all the new parts for a photo shoot but whatever.
Date: June 30, 2010 06:08PM
Posted by: Slash
Michael overtaking some cars.. just a nice video i tought i'd share

watch Sutil driving crazy

Date: July 01, 2010 11:20AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Ferrari break the rules, the world ends. McLaren break the rules, it's all right, because Ferrari did it. F**king AMAZING logic going on here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 01, 2010 06:22PM
Posted by: senninho
Slash Wrote:
> Michael overtaking some cars.. just a nice video i
> tought i'd share
>
> watch Sutil driving crazy
>
>
>

Thanks - that's a pretty cool perspective, and shows you he's still got his wits about him. His getaway was almost too good - listen to the revs.

Date: July 01, 2010 06:31PM
It was a great 1st lap, he must have passed about 5 cars even his team mate.

The Force India cars got so close to each other.
Date: July 01, 2010 06:50PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Ferrari break the rules, the world ends. McLaren
> break the rules, it's all right, because Ferrari
> did it. F**king AMAZING logic going on here.

When did Mclaren break the rules, in relation to the Ferrari subject?

edit - My simple solution...

Lewis was given the penalty, and as always was given 3 laps for which to do the penalty.

Now, knowing that info, and knowing the gap to Kobayashi and JB, lewis drove some storming laps, laps which got him second. It was very close with him, the Sauber and JB. Had Lewis been ordered to enter pitlane the first time possible then he would have been behind both JB and Kobayashi. Okay it would have ended him in 3rd, one place difference, but it was those 2/3 laps which bagged him 2nd. adn made the penalty pretty pretty pointless/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 07:05PM by chet.
Date: July 02, 2010 06:08PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
When did Mclaren break the rules, in relation to the Ferrari subject?

Don't stick qualifers like "in relation to" on the end. You know EXACTLY what I mean. If Ferrari step over the line just a tiny bit, then all hell breaks loose. Lewis/McLaren @#$%& up, and suddenly it's a "silly rule" and "being petty". Cut the crap.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy