Kubica 2010

Posted by mitadumapaga 
Re: Kubica 2010
Date: April 28, 2010 12:10AM
Posted by: Lex
chet schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dont even begin to compare Kubica nad Petrov.
>
> [...]
>
> To compare a grandprix winner against a rookie is
> impossible.

QFT.

Hamilton has spoiled us. We now think that, if a newcomer doesn't fight for wins right away, from the get-go, then he isn't a worthy driver. Take Petrov's results: he may have finished only one race out of four, but two of those three DNFs were mechanical failures (suspension in Bahrain and gearbox in Malaysia), and the other one was a spin-off in a wet race (understandable imo). In China he was very lucky because of the weather conditions, yes, and spun once, which may have costed him one position, still he has more points than the eterno Rubinho, who has finished every race this year.

Besides, we have to remember how much closer the field is this year. On China's Q2, for example, there were 12 cars within a 1.119 second gap (Hamilton's 1:34.928 and Alguersuari's 1:36.047). If we add another 0.264 seconds, we get Petrov on 14th.

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Date: April 28, 2010 05:36PM
Posted by: kubica2
@chet, look at all the recent world champions, they have been quick against their teammates straight away when they entered f1, even Kubica was quick straight away, petrov hasnt been. i think it is ok to compare rookies to their teammates, because if you have the talent you will be fast. a lot of rookies get to make thousands of miles of testing f1 cars before driving in a race, and if you are a strong driver, thats all that is required to be competitive from the outset in f1, thats how the real stars of the show are made. if your not competitive straight away (at least against your teammate), its highly unlikely you will ever be a world champion, and you will just be making up the numbers, or you will get some podiums or win races, and people will say its because of the car, not the driver.
Date: April 28, 2010 06:44PM
Posted by: marcl
^Not always the case.

We all new Mika was a talent but he never blew Herbert away, they were about the same. Mika also never showed that well against DC then in 1998 that changed even so he never blow DC away.

You can be the best driver in the world but in a bad car you are never going to show well.

This years Renault is meant to be easy to drive, so its helping Kubica and Petrov. Petrov is doing an ok job for a new driver with very little testing, remember even before Kubica's 1st race he had a lot of testing and was the Friday driver for BMW.

Petrov will now go to tracks he knows so will be interesting to see how he goes,

Due to the lack of testing it would probably take a new driver at least one year to fully settle into F1.
Date: April 29, 2010 12:28AM
Posted by: zulu_85
Well we could look at our most recent champion - looked very promising in 2000 of course, but didn't exactly blow Ralf Schumacher away, nor did he Fisichella during 2001. And as marcl said, the rookies this year really didn't get to do a huge amount of testing beforehand. Sure, Petrov had more testing than Di Grassi or the HRT boys (though both had tested F1 cars in the past) but most of his running was in the wet... hmm...quite handy in the end though to be honest...

I think round 4 is a little too soon to judge Petrov's career however. We have just one race finish (two others being car failures) to gauge his overall race-pace - he drove a strong race, albeit with spins and offs. His pace may completely fall away at Spain, who knows. It's only round 4 - I say wait until the mid-season before we start "concluding" anything. Ultimately however I say if Petrov keeps his place in F1 then it will be because he's earned it - if he hasn't then he won't. Personally I believe at the moment he shows the potential to stick around - he's not as fast as Kubica but then not many drivers are.
Date: April 29, 2010 08:47AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
chet Wrote:
> Petrov seems closer to
> Kubica, than either Grosjean or Piquet ever did.

But now you are comparing Alonso and Kubica, which isn't really a fair to Grosjean in particular.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 29, 2010 04:18PM
Posted by: kubica2
marcl Wrote:
> This years Renault is meant to be easy to drive,
> so its helping Kubica and Petrov.

Who told you? and can anyone say if its any easier to drive then any other car on the grid??? i think the mclaren and redbull would 'easy' to drive too, since they are easy to finish high up the grid in, and the mclaren is easy to overtake in. People who have made this claim of the Renault being easy to drive.. i sense its because it looks balanced on track, i think that is more because Kubica is comfortable with this car and setting it up well, and driving it very well.
Petrov on the other hand, watch him from onboard camera, he seems to have trouble with the car, very twitchy, it doesnt look 'easy' at all.
There are always different ways of reading into things in f1, if you read the Renault as being easy to drive, then to me that suggests Petrov is really struggling, as an easy car whould help him get closer to his teammate. so far he has one good result, which was in changing conditions, and with mistakes along the way, and still a long way behind his teammate (dont forget if there wasnt a safety car, he wouldve been further back).

Now im not seeing he will be bad f1 driver in the future, i am just judging on what we have seen so far. and to me it does not look that good.

So if Petrov is still performing at this level in relation to Kubica at the end of the year, i wonder if he will be praised or not praised? at the moment, most are praising him (mainly feel-good positivity) i would think it would be a dissapointment if the results are like this at the end of the year, but i get a sense that people will say 'oh but its his first year'.

I hope he performs better in the upcoming races, at tracks he knows.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy