Active Suspension Bose

Posted by chet 
Active Suspension Bose
Date: December 13, 2008 09:33PM
Posted by: chet
Im sure some of you have seen this already but I thought ill post it here.

[www.bose.com]

This is simply incredible. A few of my friends have recently been learning about active suspension, and they primarily focused on its use in Motorsport, well F1. And were involved in a debate whether it was a driver aid or engineers aid... They said everyone came to same conclusion on one thing. Active suspension road relevance is an extremley important area for future car design. For saftey more than anything!

We've seen with the Audi TT ( first model before the little spoiler ) the effects of heavy braking from highspeeds is extremley dangerous. As for the Audi TT it was more of an aero problem ( the car being extremley rounded featured many different velocity flow fields around the back end ). Under heavy braking the weight distribution movement and the aero problem caused a few crashes on the German Autobahn!! Then hense the introduction of the spoiler.

Clearly Active suspension in F1 will help kickstart its introduction onto roadcars. F1 needs to live up to what Bernie and Max say it is. A help towards roadcar technology!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: Active Suspension Bose
Date: December 13, 2008 10:08PM
Posted by: anze89
F1 already had active suspension (not this type) and it got banned before 1994 IIRC.

Date: December 13, 2008 10:34PM
I know tht... apparently they said it was a driver aid. I mean we all these new things coming to F1 imo they should at least try make it more road relevant like they keep banging on about.

Date: December 13, 2008 11:07PM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [...] featured many different velocity flow fields
> around the back end ) [...]

Ladies and gentlemen, we have the Chetâ„¢ buzzwords for 2009.

As a side note, vortex generators are so 2007. The book needs a reissue.

;)
Date: December 13, 2008 11:08PM
Sadly not my word :(
Just a bloke from Volvo.

Date: December 13, 2008 11:09PM
Posted by: gav
Vortex generators weren't yours either, but that didn't stop you using them at any given opportunity. ;)
Date: December 13, 2008 11:40PM
Lol. That reminds me, I recently was reading a little something on F1 front wings. The guy called a front 'basically a vortex machine' or something like that. I was going to post it here but realised it probably wasnt the best of ideas :p

Date: December 14, 2008 01:07AM
Posted by: MarcLister
Wasn't it Max Mosley who said things like traction control, ABS etc on road cars made them safer. But on F1 cars just made them go faster. Which is why he didn't want them in F1.
Date: December 14, 2008 06:16AM
Posted by: razgriz
ABS etc,should be retained for some safety purposes, not for more challenging for drivers,which audience doesnt pay attention to.
Date: December 14, 2008 09:10AM
Posted by: J i m
ABS hasn't been seen in F1 since 1993, mainly because it's banned. F1 drivers are supposed to be best in the world... why shouldn't they be able to control their own brakes?

The reactive suspension was more of a performance aid than driver aid as it didn't really take a control away from the drive, it merely gave him more aerodynamic grip to use.

It wasn't like semi automatic transmission which actually took an element of effort out of the driving.
Date: December 14, 2008 01:43PM
MarcLister Wrote:
> Wasn't it Max Mosley who said things like traction
> control, ABS etc on road cars made them safer. But
> on F1 cars just made them go faster. Which is why
> he didn't want them in F1.

I dont agree with ABS because what more is there to develop on roadcars. Same with traction control.
These were things which were optimized a long time ago.
Active suspension is something new for the automotive industry. Well new isnt the word, just never really taken full advantage of.

Date: December 14, 2008 03:15PM
Posted by: J i m
It's not even that new for the industry to be honest. Land Rover have been dabbling with it for years.
Date: December 14, 2008 07:21PM
Posted by: MarcLister
chet Wrote:
> MarcLister Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wasn't it Max Mosley who said things like
> traction
> > control, ABS etc on road cars made them safer.
> But
> > on F1 cars just made them go faster. Which is
> why
> > he didn't want them in F1.
>
>
> I dont agree with ABS because what more is there
> to develop on roadcars. Same with traction
> control.
> These were things which were optimized a long time
> ago.
> Active suspension is something new for the
> automotive industry. Well new isnt the word, just
> never really taken full advantage of.

That's nice chet. :) So nice in fact, I'm having a Chet LOL (TM). ;)
Date: December 14, 2008 08:11PM
Why thankyou :p.
I do think thats all of my trademark phrases around here isnt it?

Date: December 15, 2008 10:24AM
Posted by: razgriz
Actually Active suspension can get rid the stiffness of your car's handling,make them softer and more controllabl;e
Date: December 17, 2008 04:12AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
What could the current performance gains be when adding active suspension to F1 cars, dya think? When the FW14B was launched in 1992, it had more than 2 seconds a lap (3 on the longer circuits) on it's predecessor, and gained another second a lap or so with the FW15C. I think these days, with F1 cars so aerodynamically sensitive in 2008, and even more so in 2009, active suspension could not only gain a couple seconds, but could be the answer the FIA are looking for to generate more overtaking.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: December 17, 2008 12:05PM
Posted by: senninho
turkey_machine Wrote:
> What could the current performance gains be when
> adding active suspension to F1 cars, dya think?
> When the FW14B was launched in 1992, it had more
> than 2 seconds a lap (3 on the longer circuits) on
> it's predecessor, and gained another second a lap
> or so with the FW15C. I think these days, with F1
> cars so aerodynamically sensitive in 2008, and
> even more so in 2009, active suspension could not
> only gain a couple seconds, but could be the
> answer the FIA are looking for to generate more
> overtaking.

And therein lies the reason for it being banned. The cars would simply be too fast with it.

As far as road cars go, i seem to remember a Citroen Saxo being advertised with it, as 'F1 technology'.

Date: December 17, 2008 12:45PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Just a note about the TT - it wasn't only aerodynamics, and the spoiler only solved the aerodynamic issues (obviously). But the 4wd system differs from other Audis. What technically is different I don't know, but the result is the car has absolutely no feel what-so-ever. You don't get any sensation that you are approaching the limits of grip (front or rear), because the 4wd system masks the whole feeling. Only when you step over the boundaries of what the 4wd system can cope with, and the grip is lost do you feel what is going on.

My Dad owned an original TT (with a spoiler of course) and said if you drove it like a sportscar (not dangerously, just a little firmly), it was a death trap. You had no idea what it was going to suddenly throw you into a tree because you didn't know when the 4wd system was going to lose grip.

He has since sold it and got a Golf MKV R32, which he says is a much firmer, nicer car to drive, despite being basicly the same 4wd system under the bodywork.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 17, 2008 06:14PM
It was hard to know what Audi wanted the TT to be really. I suspect on the new one they have a new 4wd system because so far ive not heard many bad comments about it.

Date: December 17, 2008 10:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The new one is a sportscar. The old one was a hairdressers car, pretending to be a sportscar.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy