Peugeot-Citroen For 2009 F1?

Posted by razgriz 
Peugeot-Citroen For 2009 F1?
Date: December 15, 2008 10:42AM
Posted by: razgriz
The French manufacturer PSA, selling cars under the names Peugeot and Citroen, has reportedly expressed interest in buying Honda's beleaguered Formula One team.

Anonymous sources apparently told the Belgian motor racing magazine Autosportnieuws that the carmaker, last involved in F1 as an engine supplier with the now-defunct Prost team, has made enquiries to buy the Brackley based team as an active F1 competitor.

Citroen's world rally team is the reigning drivers' and constructors' champion, and Peugeot is involved in Le Mans racing.

It is suggested that, given F1's willingness to vastly reduce operating costs, PSA is interested in stepping because it has not been hit as hard by the world economic crisis than some of its peers abroad.

The French government is also pledging financial support to the car sector, in return for Renault and Peugeot-Citroen promising to limit job cuts and plant closures.

It is suggested that Sebastien Bourdais, the French F1 driver whose Toro Rosso seat is in doubt for 2009, would be part of a PSA buyout, with Jenson Button as his team-mate.

taken from www.f1-live.com

@topic
quite interesting, CITROEN & PEUGOT have very good reputation on motorsport.eg WRC & LEMANS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 10:43AM by razgriz.
Re: Peugeot-Citroen For 2009 F1?
Date: December 15, 2008 10:44AM
Posted by: Nickv
I bet the French will love that. Their tax money was used to get Citroen and Peugeot back on track and then they use it for a F1 team.
Date: December 15, 2008 11:34AM
Posted by: SAMF1
i think Peugeot was use for jordan engine in 1997

Date: December 15, 2008 11:47AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
ha fantastic! only a couple ofmonths after i bought my 106 ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: December 15, 2008 12:33PM
Posted by: BAR#10
Hopefully it's true.

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: December 15, 2008 12:51PM
Posted by: flat tyre
It would be good if Bourdais could get another drive. It's another manufacturer team, but it's better than nothing by far.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: December 15, 2008 01:04PM
Posted by: chet
Just a rumour for now.

With citroen wanting to pull of rallying for advertising reasons running an F1 team could help solve that problem... F1 cars are afterall the fastest billboards in the world!

If this has any substance I suppose its good news, though I know the least possible solution is Dave Richards, its what I would prefer.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 15, 2008 02:01PM
Posted by: msater
This'll be interersting...

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: December 15, 2008 02:08PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
mixed feelings about this. having too many car manufacturer teams in F1 is often not a good thing, but it would be great to go back to 10 teams in F1...

if they wanted to join, maybe they should wait a year - because it will be hard to prepare a decent team in a few months, even with Ross Brawn and infrastructure from Honda.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: December 15, 2008 02:12PM
Posted by: Frantic
What is more possible, Peugeot F1 or Citroen F1??

I think Citroen, because they want to quit rally when Loeb retires, and as Loeb wants F1 in 2010, Button-Loeb in a F1 Citroen for 2010!!! ;)

Date: December 15, 2008 02:13PM
Posted by: Team CLR
SAMF1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i think Peugeot was use for jordan engine in 1997

Yes, Peugeot then went on to supply the now defunct Prost team, and was regarded as one of the reasons for the start of the team's decline.

Date: December 15, 2008 02:20PM
you could have both i suppose. Citroen powered by Peugeot or something like that.

Loeb did mention a switch to F1 in 2010. i think that would work out great for both parties, as it will allow Citroen to quit rallying, and still have the services of Loeb.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: December 15, 2008 02:27PM
Posted by: Brianf666
The idea is a tempting one, especially with their rally experience and Loeb available soon. Brawn, Button and Loeb is such a mouth-watering prospect.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: December 15, 2008 02:28PM
another French team could also help stimulate some interest to save the GP as well

X (@ed24f1)
Date: December 15, 2008 02:38PM
Posted by: SAMF1
rumors rumors rumors.......it never happen!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 02:42PM by SAMF1.
Date: December 15, 2008 03:01PM
Posted by: Damas
I wouldn't hold my breath on this being successful even if it does come about. Just because both have tasted success in WRC I can't see that automatically translating into F1 success.

Remember when Peugeot first came to F1 in 1994 to much fanfare at the time with promise of huge development programmes with McLaren (it was enough to convince Ron Dennis not to pen a contract with Chrysler following a very impressive test with the Lamborghini engine) and the deal was terminated at the end of the year in favour of Mercedes? This was following a VERY successful few years for the concern in World Sportscars and Rally / Rally Raid before it (fronted by one Jean Todt BTW)

Also lets not forget that Peugeot are one of only 2 of the big manufactures to have never won a race in BTCC (The only other one being Proton) so all they touch will not necessarily turn to gold.

And as for Citroen, well they have only ever been rallying and most of that was set up off the back of Peugeot so I wouldn't go getting too excited about this.

I wouldn't like to see the Honda team disappear completely but I'd also like to see them be competitive and like SchueyFan said, if PSA do buy in, it may be better to wait a while and become acclimatised to help gain a little more experience of running an F1 outfit
Date: December 15, 2008 05:27PM
Posted by: superchargednut
Would be good to see but I can't see Loeb in F1 now, he is getting old.

Date: December 15, 2008 09:10PM
Posted by: le_jaguar_2004
I work for PSA. I can tell you that it's a pure joke...
PSA's factories are stopped this month : you really think that they gonna spend millions of $$$ while workers are workless ?

Never trust a Belgian ;)

Date: December 15, 2008 10:57PM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
Doubt it will happen the only Honda will come back is a private buyer i think

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: December 16, 2008 12:06AM
Posted by: gav
Not entirely sure any buyer won't be already involved in F1. If no one else picks up the pieces, there's a lot of assets to be had for an existing team - particularly a low budget privateer team, such as Williams or FI. It depends on how much that supposed $1 asking price covers, facility and contracts wise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy