Is Lewis set to dominate?

Posted by LS. 
Re: Is Lewis set to dominate?
Date: November 17, 2008 09:34PM
Posted by: gav
Frantic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ford engines were pretty good in middle 90s...
> Michael Schumacher won his first title with a
> benneton ford...

Which was a far superior model to the one McLaren had.
Date: November 17, 2008 11:13PM
Posted by: Isaint
British Sensationalism .....? Know it all too well, being British myself.
The same experts that predicted Buttons smooth driving style would be a force to be reckoned with. That after M.S. Kimi would dominate the sport ... God, what bilge. Hamilton is with out doubt talented but comparing him to M.S. let alone Senna ...... give me a break. Yeah he won the title through all kinds of providential developements. Was it definate? No could've been Massa, it was not.
Just the way the dice rolled, no decisive or dominant result, just the way it happenend. He won but he is not the greatest..... he made history, but he's not the first to do that either.

Stop looking at him winning and start looking at how he wins. What's in place to enable him to do that.
Arguably the best car the best team and the best working environment.

Put Alonso,Kimi,Kubica or vettel in that situation and we will all be talking about a different Champion to Lewis ..... thing is all the above mentioned have shown thier worth in inferior Chariots, something Lewis has never had to do.

Would he fair as well, who knows? Will he dominate, don't be silly. One world Championship does not make you great .... ask Villeneuve.

PREDICTION> The driver you should be looking at for greatness is Vettel ....
You're seriously missing the 'Trick' if you think otherwise. Don't believe the hype ... There will be a new world Champion next year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2008 11:23PM by Isaint.
Date: November 17, 2008 11:57PM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
> Frantic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ford engines were pretty good in middle 90s...
> > Michael Schumacher won his first title with a
> > benneton ford...
>
> Which was a far superior model to the one McLaren
> had.

Think he's on about '94 ;-)

As regards the thread subject: Yes, in a word. The only things that have held Lewis back so far are his inexperience, and his tendency to get nervous under pressure(something that will improve naturally as his experience and confidence grows). His drive at Shanghai, for example, was a Schumi-esque tour de force; with another year or two of experience Lewis will constantly be delivering performances like that. He could eventually dominate the way MS did. The only real rival he'll have(short term, anyway) will be Alonso.

Date: November 18, 2008 12:12AM
EC83 Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> -----
> > Frantic Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Ford engines were pretty good in middle
> 90s...
> > > Michael Schumacher won his first title with a
> > > benneton ford...
> >
> > Which was a far superior model to the one
> McLaren
> > had.
>
> Think he's on about '94 ;-)
>
>
> As regards the thread subject: Yes, in a word. The
> only things that have held Lewis back so far are
> his inexperience, and his tendency to get nervous
> under pressure(something that will improve
> naturally as his experience and confidence grows).
> His drive at Shanghai, for example, was a
> Schumi-esque tour de force; with another year or
> two of experience Lewis will constantly be
> delivering performances like that. He could
> eventually dominate the way MS did. The only real
> rival he'll have(short term, anyway) will be
> Alonso.

Yep! 94 for sure and that bath-tub of a ferrari that Barnard designed, Berger said he could not even drive the Benneton that M.S. won the world title in ... that about says it all. B.T.W while Lewis is getting all this experience and getting better and better what do you think vettel and Kubica will be doing getting less experience and getting worse......?

Give me a car and I'll drive it fast ..... Give me a fast car and I might just win the world Championship ..... I wonder how many drivers that applies too?
Date: November 18, 2008 12:44AM
Vettel and Kubica are both awesome drivers, and both easily capable of being champions. But neither of them are with a truly top team(ie like McLaren/Ferrari). That's not to say BMW can't do great things next season, but they don't have the years of winning/fighting for titles that the top 2 have. So in pressure situations BMW could make mistakes the top 2 teams wouldn't make, even if Kubica is doing a perfect job. And Vettel needs to get himself away from Red Bull to become a genuine contender. It won't be raining every race.
Lewis, by contrast, looks like he/McLaren are already starting to become the same kind of force that Michael/Ferrari used to be. You're right, one championship win doesn't make a great driver, but considering Lewis' age and his potential to improve, we could be just looking at the tip of a very big iceberg. The other drivers will improve with experience, but so will Lewis.

Date: November 18, 2008 11:29AM
Posted by: gav
EC83 Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> -----
> > Frantic Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Ford engines were pretty good in middle
> 90s...
> > > Michael Schumacher won his first title with a
> > > benneton ford...
> >
> > Which was a far superior model to the one
> McLaren
> > had.
>
> Think he's on about '94 ;-)

Of course that's when MS won his title, but in '93 Benetton had a better engine than McLaren were given. There was nothing good about what McLaren had to deal with, as the rumoured Lamborghini test supposedly showed.
Date: November 18, 2008 12:06PM
Posted by: razgriz
i just can feel that rosberg is better than lewis,(just check their old times in kart etc...),also alonso is far more better than he is right now,lewis just got a perfect timing to get a good car this year and last year,anyway...i think vettel is the "baby schumacher" at the moment for me...
Date: November 18, 2008 06:06PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Vettel hopefully won't be baby Schumi, for reasons previously mentioned. Karting means nothing in F1, if it did then Liuzzi would have gotten Kovalainen's seat, and Senna was only 2nd place in the world karting championships.
Date: November 18, 2008 06:25PM
Posted by: LS.
remember Jan Magnussen? Jackie Stewart once said he was better than Ayrton Senna before he made his debut in F1.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 18, 2008 06:33PM
LOL! Major misjudgement by Jackie. Jenson Button was also compared with Senna before he made his debut. ;)

Date: November 18, 2008 07:09PM
Guimengo Wrote:
> Kimi in 2005 was amazing, especially when the
> McLaren became the best car in the grid, and even
> more so when the reliability improved.

Defo. Every season there seems to be a different Kimi. There was the Prost-like Kimi of 2003, then the Senna-like Kimi of 2005. In 2007 he was more like Carlos Reutemann or Piquet Snr. And in 2008... Pfft.

Don't think any top driver has shown this many sides of himself. He's the guy who has the most raw talent but does the least with it.

Date: November 18, 2008 07:35PM
Every one has made really good points here, something to be taken from all views.
However, as always I guess we will just have to wait and see ... still I just feel that we are all in for a shock next year. To say the least, I feel it will be very interesting.

Any way guys have you seen the cars that they will be driving ...Phhuu ...Phuu..
..Yuck!! They look like some cheap toy a kid would get in his Christmas stocking.
They do nothing for the credibility of F1, any one that can win a Championship in one of thosethings, Freakin well deserves it!
Date: November 18, 2008 08:50PM
Posted by: Guimengo
LS. Wrote:
> remember Jan Magnussen? Jackie Stewart once said
> he was better than Ayrton Senna before he made his
> debut in F1.

Unfortunately Jackie's comments for a while now have been as compelling and plausible as someone calling themselves a good wrestler after having knocked out a stumbling drunk hobo :P. In case of defeat to the drunk hobo, it's just sheer embarrassment but that falls more into the Niki Lauda comments ;).
Date: November 18, 2008 09:47PM
Actually Niki Lauda(though not great) is the less annoying of those two IMO. He's actually in touch with what's going on to an extent, and doesn't find a way to slip ass-kissing BS about Silverstone into every single TV interview he does.

Date: November 19, 2008 12:59AM
Posted by: J-C
EC83 Wrote:
> LOL! Major misjudgement by Jackie. Jenson Button
> was also compared with Senna before he made his
> debut. ;)

I would not call it that.

Magnussen had a dominating 1994 British Formula 3 championship with Paul Stewart Racing, winning 14 of the 18 events and breaking Ayrton Senna's F3 record.

Source: [en.wikipedia.org]

Now you can laugh all you like :)

07 No Tsm Track Pack__GPGSL08 Mod__range">97 TeamArt
Tutorial how to compile a No Csm Mod
Date: November 20, 2008 06:52PM
Posted by: danm
Looking back at previous driver history, I bet this photo might spark some debate!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 20, 2008 08:11PM
J-C Wrote:
> EC83 Wrote:
> -----
> > LOL! Major misjudgement by Jackie. Jenson
> Button
> > was also compared with Senna before he made his
> > debut. ;)
>
> I would not call it that.
>
> Magnussen had a dominating 1994 British Formula 3
> championship with Paul Stewart Racing, winning 14
> of the 18 events and breaking Ayrton Senna's F3
> record.
>
> Source:
> [en.wikipedia.org]
>
> Now you can laugh all you like :)

As it turns out I was well aware of Magnussen's achievements in lesser formulae when I made the post you quote. The fact is, F1 is a better barometer of a driver's calibre than F3 is. And in F1:

Ayrton Senna: 3 World Titles, 41 race wins, 65 pole positions, 2931 laps/13328km led, 19 entire races led(all-time record), 19 fastest laps, 610 points.
Jan Magnussen: 1 point(booted from Stewart team midway through 1998 for constant underachieving).

Now that's laughable. I know stats are meant to only tell half a story, but still...

Stewart made a major misjudgement when he described Magnussen as "better than Senna". End of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2008 08:25PM by EC83.
Date: November 21, 2008 01:40AM
Posted by: J-C
EC83 Wrote:
> Stewart made a major misjudgement when he
> described Magnussen as "better than Senna". End
> of.

Look what at what saying:
You comparing Senna with the mclaren cars he drove that where
top cars at that time with the Stewart Ford cars that Magnussen drove
that were middle field cars in 97 - mid 98.
NOW thats a real funny comparison from you.

Source: [en.wikipedia.org]

LOL !!.

07 No Tsm Track Pack__GPGSL08 Mod__range">97 TeamArt
Tutorial how to compile a No Csm Mod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2008 01:41AM by J-C.
Date: November 21, 2008 09:16AM
Posted by: mikef1
Senna drove for and achieved great results for Toleman and Lotus too, not just Mclaren.

In any case Jan just didn't do well when he could have shined against Rubens when they started out.
He was a real disappointment as he was widely expected to very competitive and the fact that he was replaced by Jos Verstappen says it all.

Stefano Modena was another driver who came into F1 with similar promise and achieved little.
Date: November 21, 2008 09:28AM
Posted by: gin
mikef1 Wrote:
> Senna drove for and achieved great results for
> Toleman and Lotus too, not just Mclaren.
>
> In any case Jan just didn't do well when he could
> have shined against Rubens when they started out.
>
> He was a real disappointment as he was widely
> expected to very competitive and the fact that he
> was replaced by Jos Verstappen says it all.
>
> Stefano Modena was another driver who came into F1
> with similar promise and achieved little.

what about Pizzonia? I remember he was blitzing everything before F1 and was also "hailed" "next senna"........and what happened to him when he got to f1? nothing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy