Is Lewis set to dominate?

Posted by LS. 
Is Lewis set to dominate?
Date: November 14, 2008 12:57AM
Posted by: LS.
Lewis Hamilton underlined the prodigious talent that was evident from day one by sealing his place in the record books as Formula 1’s youngest champion in Brazil earlier this month.

Is he now poised to dominate the sport so that he comes to define it, in the manner of a Clark, Senna or Schumacher? Or does he face too much competition from too many plausible rivals for that to be a likely prospect?

We asked you this question in a recent Talkback; now it’s over to itv.com/f1’s expert analyst Mark Hughes…

Is this the dawn of the Lewis Hamilton era? That’s what’s being asked in the wake of him becoming the youngest ever world title winner.

Is he about to dominate the sport for years to come, to make Formula 1 his own in the way Michael Schumacher did previously and Ayrton Senna before that?

It’s easy to see why the question is being asked: his talent is outrageously high, he’s already produced performances that will come to be part of the legendary fabric of the sport – and he has a close, long-term relationship with arguably the best, most powerful team on the grid.

Let’s be clear: it’s more than possible. He’s gifted enough to do it in the right circumstances. But those circumstances are not in his control.

It will depend on where any number of potential challengers to his status find themselves in the future, how competitive the cars into which they get their backsides turn out to be, and how influential they themselves are in shaping their environments.

If there is going to be one dominant figure in the years ahead, Hamilton has got himself into pole position to be that man.

It’s about so much more than just the way a driver presses the pedals and turns the wheel though.

At the most obvious level it’s about how fast his car is – what its aero numbers, brakes, suspension and engine are like.

Beyond that, it’s about how his approach and personality influences those things.

Historically there are rarely more than two teams during a season capable of fielding a potentially title-winning car – and if you’re not in one of them, no matter how great a driver you are, you aren’t going to win a championship.

In a typical season, therefore, there are four seats from which a title challenge could feasibly be launched.

Are there four drivers of the necessary calibre to prevent Hamilton domination should they get themselves in those seats? Yes, probably.

Fernando Alonso and/or Robert Kubica could spoil his party pretty much immediately and are good enough to go bat-to-bat with him, Alonso having already proved as much last year.

In his rookie year Hamilton was quicker than Alonso more times than vice-versa, but the margins were tiny and the question remains which of them was at the bigger disadvantage: Hamilton through being a rookie or Alonso through his relationship with the team and F1’s move to low-grip control tyres?

It’s an unfathomable that even they cannot know. What is clear is that Alonso in a potential title-winning car is a potential world champion, whether Hamilton is there or not.

Kubica’s performances this year in an inferior car and at the end of 2006 suggest he’s of a similar calibre, and certainly both Hamilton and Alonso regard him as a potential champion.

Pre-season Alonso even went so far as to express the view he believed Kubica to be the best of them all; that may have been a bit of typical Fernando mischief to diss Lewis. Maybe not.

They are the obvious two challengers to Hamilton’s future status, but is either of them in the right place?

Could they get to the right place? Recent history suggests they need to get into a Ferrari. It’s unlikely they’ll both do so.

Then again, could BMW or even Renault turn out to be smart places to be?

Beyond Alonso and Kubica, there are other possibilities. Felipe Massa, after all, pushed Hamilton all the way this year; what’s to say he couldn’t go one better in future?

Or that his team-mate Kimi Raikkonen won’t regain his spark as the characteristics of the cars move back towards his driving style?

What does the future hold for Sebastian Vettel? Or Jenson Button? Or Mark Webber?

Maybe those guys have what it takes if given the opportunity, maybe not. But it’s another unfathomable.

Time is against the likes of Raikkonen, Button or Webber being Hamilton’s long-term threats even if they were in title-capable machines; the youngest of them is giving away five years to him.

But not Vettel. It’s very easy to picture a scenario where he ends up in one of the best cars not too far distant from now. Once there, would he be good enough? Quite possibly.

But even once in the fast car, there’s more to it than being a fast driver. He needs to dovetail his natural driving style with the characteristics of the car.

It can just happen this way by chance but it’s such a fast-moving sport it won’t stay that way, and when the requirements move the driver needs to be able to adapt and, critically, he needs to be the sort of personality that the team will not only accommodate but go out of their way to please.

He needs to be smart enough to understand what his needs are, to know his own weaknesses and work on them, to be as savvy and ruthless as necessary and to be able to build good relationships with those who are important to his performance.

Hamilton is in the early stages of working all this out but will have achieved much of it already; certainly he has fully on-side arguably the best F1 team of all. And that is an achievement none of his would-be rivals have yet managed.

He’s doing his bit. The rest is down to the others.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: Is Lewis set to dominate?
Date: November 14, 2008 01:25AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Could a one eyed dwarf from the deepest depths of the Borneo jungle win the world championship next year?
Maybe, possibly, perhaps, who the hell knows?
Let wait and see ffs, I remember Alan Henry saying in 2007 that Kovalainen would certainly win a race in the Renault, load of bs that turned out to be..
I'm not too fond of these 'expert' articles where they predict the future, most of the time it turns out to be crap, and you don't glean anything decent from them anyway.
Nice post though ;)
Date: November 14, 2008 03:40AM
Posted by: J-C
Lewis Hamilton is the yoongest driver to win a WDC. He maybe talented.
He is also the luckies driver ever to enter in a F1 team directly to a top team
instead of going through normal channels like all true champions did from a low or middle team or even as a tester.
He also had a team mate to learn a lot from in his first year, yes everyone knows Alonso.
I still think what could have happened if Alonso stayed at Renault in 2007, im very curious also what would had happend to lewis and mclaren team without Alonso in 2007 because that year was crucial for lewis understanding of a F1
car and the mclaren team with alonso´s feedback on what to improve.

As for Lewis to dominate like Schumy i seriously have my doubt. Look
at Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel, Kubica, Raikkonen or even Massa. He
has a tough competition out their. We all saw how spectacular Vettel passing
in Hamilton in the rain in Interlagos with a Toro Rosso wich is much worst car than a mclaren. Their other situations and im sure he is beatable.
Date: November 14, 2008 04:17AM
Posted by: SAMF1
no way!!!!

Date: November 14, 2008 09:56AM
Posted by: gav
LS. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It’s an unfathomable that even they cannot know.
> What is clear is that Alonso in a potential
> title-winning car is a potential world champion,
> whether Hamilton is there or not.

Love that. Alonso's gone nose-to-nose with Schumacher and beaten him. Whatever you think of Schumacher's controversial career, he always had the raw talent, experience and nous that Hamilton can still only dream of. And Alonso beat him. Twice.

With all respect to Hamilton, Alonso in an equal car, without favouritism, would wipe the floor with him as of right now. He did a pretty good job of it in an inferior car.

I said in another thread that Hamilton can be the dominant force. But he's still got a hell of a lot of learning to do, as 2008 showed.
Date: November 14, 2008 10:13AM
Posted by: SexySam182
gav Wrote:
> Love that. Alonso's gone nose-to-nose with
> Schumacher and beaten him. Whatever you think of
> Schumacher's controversial career, he always had
> the raw talent, experience and nous that Hamilton
> can still only dream of. And Alonso beat him.
> Twice.
>
> With all respect to Hamilton, Alonso in an equal
> car, without favouritism, would wipe the floor
> with him as of right now. He did a pretty good job
> of it in an inferior car.
>
>
>
> I said in another thread that Hamilton can be the
> dominant force. But he's still got a hell of a lot
> of learning to do, as 2008 showed.

+1,000,000 Gav

A lot of people think Hamilton is better than Alonso just because of last year. But in reality they both finished with the same points, and as you said Alonso had to fight against massive favouritism.

I think we all knew stupid articles like this would crop up after he won the championship.

And I also think the British press and public need to see Hamilton lose next year to keep their expectations in check.

Date: November 14, 2008 11:14AM
Posted by: marcl
I think people need to look at how former world champs went in their 1st and 2nd years of F1 before they keep putting Lewis down. Yes he went into a top car straight away but the Renault and Benetton were not exactly crap cars.

Plus if the mclaren was that good in 2007 why did alonso not win more races? why was he making so many errors.

MS 1st and 2nd year many spins many crashes.

Alonso, bit hard to say really. Had a good 1st year in the Minardi but 1st year and Renault was a bit up and down, had a lot of testing as well.

I think now Lewis has his 1st world champ we will see him just get better and better. Plus next year is new for everyone so lets see who stands out.

But the driver to watch out for is Vettel, I actually think he will become the best driver out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 12:20PM by marcl.
Date: November 14, 2008 12:33PM
Posted by: kv88
I don't think Hamilton will be as dominant as Schumacher was, but I have very little doubt he'll win another championship or 2, maybe 3. As some have already said, guys like Kubica, Vettel and Alonso are his main challengers, but within a few years he's going to fend off Hulkenberg, Di Resta and Grosjean as well.

Date: November 14, 2008 12:55PM
Posted by: marcl
We could see one team dominate next year though, if one team does a better job with the new regs.
Date: November 14, 2008 01:02PM
Posted by: Ali
Schumacher was the one driving, but the dominance was set not only by him but also Brawn and Todt (and Schumacher exceptional skills to make his team the most perfect in terms of pspeed, reliability, etc...) so I don't know if Lewis has those skills. Many drivers have speed out there.
Date: November 14, 2008 01:54PM
Posted by: Nickv
No, he is not going to dominate yet. He needs to learn a lot to be able to do that. Learning the more technical aspect better, an area in which Alonso is by thousands of miles better than the rest, and he needs to learn to keep his head. He nearly lost the title at Brazil, again.

If he can do that, he can dominate.
Date: November 14, 2008 02:08PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
if mclaren keeps providing a good car it will depend on the other teams, because i don't think any other driver will beat him to the championship as his team-mate. i don't think he will dominate. i think he will probably win one or two more championships, but there will be heaps of drivers breathing down his neck

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 14, 2008 04:41PM
Posted by: Guimengo
LS. Wrote:
> Is he now poised to dominate the sport so that he
> comes to define it, in the manner of a Clark,
> Senna
or Schumacher? Or does he face too much
> competition from too many plausible rivals for
> that to be a likely prospect?

> Historically there are rarely more than two teams
> during a season capable of fielding a potentially
> title-winning car – and if you’re not in one
> of them, no matter how great a driver you are, you
> aren’t going to win a championship.

Senna won what, 5 races in that horrendous 1993 McLaren? Don't they dare compare Lewis to Ayrton like that.
Date: November 14, 2008 04:44PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Is he now poised to dominate the sport so that he comes to define it, in the manner of a Clark, Senna or Schumacher?

lmao, quite frankly.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 14, 2008 05:33PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
LS. Wrote:
> Is he now poised to dominate the sport so that he
> comes to define it, in the manner of a Clark

get out.

H E L L O
Date: November 14, 2008 05:35PM
Posted by: Stan
did the SUN write that?

Date: November 14, 2008 05:57PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Highly unlikely of a hamilton era, theres plenty of talent on the field who can take on hammy easily. Vettel proving to be one of them atleast along with Alonso,Kubica and Massa who should be in f1 for plenty of more years. Its not going to be easy for him, next year he wont be champion imo

Date: November 14, 2008 06:34PM
Posted by: Muks_C
here's the source of the article: Click

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: November 14, 2008 06:50PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Did anyone expect Schumi to wipe the floor with them when he was in Spa in 1991?

Also, how is Lewis not a 'true champion' because he started in a Mclaren? He got there on talent, and he deserves it. He's repaid the investment in both trust and money that Mclaren made in him.

Don't even get me started on Alonso in 2007. In 2008, he's done a good job, but nothing less than he should have been as a two time world champion.

Tbh, I think everyone should get used to Lewis. If he lasts as long as MS he'll be around until 2022!

Date: November 14, 2008 07:01PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Lewis is a mighty fine driver when it comes to his natural ability, he just needs more experience and to stop this trend he seems to be setting of being the next Michael Schumacher. We don't need any more behind the scenes crap and "allowed cheating" to happen.

Alonso in 2007 was very shady, he behaved like a child but it's hard to tell what really went on inside the team. It's hard to argue that Ron Dennis didn't have Lewis as his favorite from the beginning, he raised the kid -automobilistically speaking, and yes I just made that up ;)- and wanted him to win, not Alonso. When he signed Fernando he maybe didn't know he'd put Lewis in F1 so soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy