Honda threaten to leave F1
Date: October 12, 2008 12:36PM
Posted by: BAR#10
[www.timesonline.co.uk]

If the one engine fits all goes ahead.

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Re: Honda threaten to leave F1
Date: October 12, 2008 12:42PM
Posted by: chet
It would be an absolute joke if it went ahead, but it wont. Too many would oppose it, both manufacturers and fans.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 12, 2008 12:56PM
Posted by: IWE
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be an absolute joke if it went ahead, but it wont.

Dont be so sure. Everything (negative) is possible as long as Mosley is hanging around..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: October 12, 2008 01:07PM
Posted by: Peat
Honda should put all their funding into the Acura LMP1 project. F1 should be left to die on its arse after today.

Date: October 12, 2008 01:23PM
Posted by: stipe
Standard engine (one manufacturer dealer) will NEVER happen in F1, or FIA and FOA want to do a suicide. With many big companies in the 'game' that can't live.
Imagine for example; Scuderia Ferrari-Renault, or even better Vodafone McLaren Mercedes-BMW (as McLaren is half or even more owned by Mercedes).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2008 01:25PM by stipe.
Date: October 12, 2008 01:34PM
Posted by: airefresco
This was covered in the press conference with the team managers before the race. I can´t be bothered to read the whole press conference again, but I remember that BMW, Honda and Toyota said they would look at their position in F1 if a standard engine became the norm. I imagine you could also add Renault to that list too.

To be honest, I think this is probably one of the FIA´s leak an extreme idea and let the teams compromise on dubbed down version. For example, If the FIA want the teams to use their engines for 4 races, they propose a engine has to last half the seasons, so the teams negotiate an engine has to last say 3 races and the FIA refuse that, then propose 4 races and the teams agree. The teams think they´ve got a good deal and everybody is happy. I think this will be a similar thing.
Date: October 12, 2008 01:36PM
Posted by: Nickv
I really really hope that EVERY manufacturer pulls out if the eninges are standarized. Yes, it would kill F1, but hey, there's not much good left anyway!
Date: October 12, 2008 02:32PM
Posted by: Q1s2
"...alonso leads for Rover f1....Hamilton no far behind in second for mclaren rover..." lol

Date: October 12, 2008 03:21PM
Posted by: stipe
hehe, ...maybe some really cheap engine, like... some 4 cylinder 1000 ccm from compact car, like ...Clio, hehehe LOL
Date: October 12, 2008 03:22PM
Posted by: Monza972
Put a cosworth in all cars ;)
Date: October 12, 2008 06:40PM
Posted by: J i m
If Honda pulled out... would anyone actually notice?
Date: October 12, 2008 06:45PM
Posted by: Team CLR
I see your point, but the answer is YES, it would be noticed. Perhaps not many fans would pay much notice, but other car companies would pay considerable attention.

Date: October 12, 2008 08:45PM
Posted by: gav
Exactly. As Ron Dennis alluded to over the weekend, you need cars on the track. He was talking about the independent teams (and FI, (or what will soon be the McLaren B team, with strong rumours of FI getting Merc engines and a McLaren chassis) in particular), but the point stands.

It's a tricky situation though. The main cost in engines isn't in the manufacturing or running of them, but in the design and development, even during these freeze periods. That will never change. So having 2 engines per season isn't going to make a massive difference to the budgets, and for those teams who are spending zillions and end up cutting back a bit in the engine department, it will just be spent elsewhere.

Then again, there's little doubt that the manufacturers are going to be suffering massively if this economic problem is a mid-long term issue. I'm not financially minded at all, and all other things being equal I've little doubt that disposing of an F1 team would make little more than microscopic change in their turnover, but it could make one hell of a difference to their stock holders, so is there more to gain through ditching an F1 team (in Honda's case a vastly overfunded and underperforming one)?

It may make little difference to the likes of Ferrari, as their client base is rather different to Joe Public, so I'm sure they'll be happy whatever the situation, whether the sport stays relatively similar or they inevitably end up supplying the stock customer engines.

I'm not in favour of this one tiny, little bit, but it goes far beyond what Max said a few days back. F1 needs to cut back on its budgets massively.
Date: October 12, 2008 10:23PM
Posted by: msater
The thing is, it's all about saving money. Who else would come into F1 if Honda/BMW/Renault/Toyota were to pull out? I heard Audi were interested a couple of seasons back...

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: October 12, 2008 11:16PM
Posted by: airefresco
They won´t be interested if BMW and/or Mercedes aren´t there. Just imagine if all the car makers pull out of F1. There would only be the 2 Redbull teams, Williams, Force India and maybe Ferrari if they get to build the engines. That´s only a 10 car grid and almost half of it would be made up from Redbull. There´s no way the FIA are that stupid. Like I said before they´re just throwing around ideas that they know knowone will be happy with, so the teams make suggestions.
Date: October 12, 2008 11:56PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
In my opinion they are looking at the whole cost cutting idea from the wrong perspective. The overwhelming majority of the costs are in aero, with the wind tunnel tests and the aerodynamic engineering that constantly takes place to gain .100's of seconds.

Clamp down on aero, ban the various horns, winglets, barge boards, etc. and then let the boys do as they will with engines as long as the meet specific criteria. Hell, even allow turbo 4 cylinders or diesels like Audi and Peugeot have in the Le Mans Series.

Motor racing has always been about teams who have money vs. those who have innovation. There ought to be a middle ground in there somewhere....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: October 13, 2008 12:21AM
Posted by: Guimengo
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Honda pulled out... would anyone actually
> notice?

Honda:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2008 12:22AM by Guimengo.
Date: October 13, 2008 01:18AM
Posted by: Q1s2
next years areo rules will ditch those horns and winglets

Date: October 13, 2008 11:26AM
Posted by: red 5
Date: October 12, 2008 08:45PM
Posted by: gav (IP Logged)

It may make little difference to the likes of Ferrari, as their client base is rather different to Joe Public, so I'm sure they'll be happy whatever the situation, whether the sport stays relatively similar or they inevitably end up supplying the stock customer engines.

It is Fiat (marque largely aimed at average Joe) that keeps them alive.

Date: October 13, 2008 12:18PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Ferrari is owned by FIAT but not run by FIAT. It is a completely seperate entity and no longer takes financial backing from them.

Last time I checked, Ferraris profits were better than FIATs losses anyway.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy