2009 season thread- I know it's a bit early, but hey...

Posted by msater 
Re: 2009 season thread- I know it's a bit early, but hey...
Date: November 05, 2008 09:21PM
Posted by: marcl
With Piquet racing u are near enough knocking 1 out straight away anyway so make that 19 :)
I would like to see Valencia chopped and replaced with Suzuka or Montreal. Valencia's race was disappointing.

Date: November 05, 2008 09:44PM
Posted by: gav
Not really deserving a of a new thread, but:

Formula One stewarding rules will be revised next year in a bid to bring some consistency to decision-making.

A new replay system will allow stewards to investigate incidents and take action during the race.

National stewards will also be required to observe at least one race before officiating for the first time.

The rules should help end controversial calls such as the one to give McLaren's Lewis Hamilton a 25-second post-race penalty at Spa and strip him of a win.

Hamilton was penalised after he cut a chicane to avoid a collision with Kimi Raikkonen and then did not sufficiently surrender his advantage before overtaking the Finn one corner later.

There was also controversy at Valencia when Ferrari's Felipe Massa escaped a rap after he was illegally released from the pits into the path of Adrian Sutil.

However, when GP2 driver Bruno Senna was involved in a similar incident, he was given a drive-through penalty.

The new system will also see a written explanation of the stewards' decisions published on the FIA website after the race.

At the meeting of the International Automobile Federation's world council in Paris, it was also agreed that former drivers will be able to apply for national stewarding licences.

Meanwhile, the sport's ruling body revealed that the life of an engine would be extended from two to three races and the Chinese Grand Prix will be stage in April instead of October.

Source: BBC Sport | FIA instigates stewarding changes

For the bold bits.

1) Presumably all stewards have witnessed a race to some degree, but I guess this means they'll have to have sat in a stewards room during a race before they actively do it themselves. But surely this is evidence that the FIA haven't given any training to stewards previously. :\

2) Yay! I'm sure it won't end the fanboys screaming, but at least it will stop the likes of me trying to think up why decisions were made in otherwise questionable circumstances. I'd still like to see a recording made available of stewards room though, or a channel on interactive channels or something. I want to know what they're thinking and discussing, not what they're trying to justify.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd still like to see a recording made available of stewards
> room though, or a channel on interactive channels
> or something. I want to know what they're thinking
> and discussing, not what they're trying to
> justify.

You want a "Big Brother FIA Stewards" TV Show. ;) hehe

Date: November 05, 2008 09:59PM
Posted by: gav
Yes. I want the chance to vote Piquet out.
His Daddy Must have Done allot of yelling to keep him there

The Thunder from Downunder

Piquet didn't take any points away from Alonso except the one or two times he finished ahead of Alonso and he'll never demand more attention than him. Piquet is such an excellent #2 that you could argue he's part of Alonso's racing engineers' team ;)
jbnd05 Wrote:
> I would like to see Valencia chopped and replaced
> with Suzuka or Montreal. Valencia's race was
> disappointing.

surely its hard to base it on one race. i would prefer they move replace Barcelona with Algarve and make Valencia the Spanish GP. barcelona's had probably 10+ boring races, compared to valencia's one.

X (@ed24f1)
SchueyFan Wrote:
> jbnd05 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would like to see Valencia chopped and
> replaced
> > with Suzuka or Montreal. Valencia's race was
> > disappointing.
>
> surely its hard to base it on one race. i would
> prefer they move replace Barcelona with Algarve
> and make Valencia the Spanish GP. barcelona's had
> probably 10+ boring races, compared to valencia's
> one.

Noooooooooo

Get rid of the freaking crappy valencia circuit, keep the awesome barcelona and make Algarve the european GP :D

I want to see teh damn cars almost flat out at Campsa, ffs!! Valencia and Singapore were the biggest boring piece of sh$#*! i have ever seen in my life and I can feel that Abu Dhabi will be the same thing.

we'll see how they go next year i suppose, with the new regs.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 06, 2008 02:27PM
Posted by: Stan
Bruninho Wrote:
> Valencia and Singapore were the
> biggest boring piece of sh$#*! i have ever seen in
> my life and I can feel that Abu Dhabi will be the
> same thing.

You call Valencia and Singapore boring and yet hail Barcelona amazing? Can you kindly tell us what you smoke pls?

Date: November 06, 2008 02:35PM
Posted by: Nickv
Must be good stuff!

Bruno likes to see it from a driver' perspective. He wants it to stay because he likes to drive on it. That nothing ever happens in the races there isn't that important.
Barcelona might be nice to drive on, the races there are boring. It's even more entertaining to look at a dead snail than watch a race at Barcelona.
Nickv Wrote:
> Bruno likes to see it from a driver' perspective.
> He wants it to stay because he likes to drive on
> it.

That's the point, I prefer to watch the onboards which are much more interesting for me - how they tackle the corners, the gearing, the throttle control and stuff like that. How they work at the wheel is what matters for me. Jenson's onboards always amazes me but its entertaining to watch them in tracks like Barcelona and Hockenheim.

Overtaking is just a consequence of their work.

Date: November 06, 2008 03:17PM
Posted by: IWE
Guimengo Wrote:
> Piquet didn't take any points away from Alonso
> except the one or two times he finished ahead of
> Alonso and he'll never demand more attention than
> him. Piquet is such an excellent #2 that you could
> argue he's part of Alonso's racing engineers' team
> ;)

lol so true! I did just ralize he is doing his job actually even better than Irvine and DC in 1998-1999! Irvine did complain too much and DC was maybe sometimes bit too fast for his team mate.. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: November 06, 2008 03:21PM
Posted by: J i m
Thing is... Barcelona isn't even that great to driver anymore... they've castrated most of it's corners over the years in the name of safety and/or overtaking corners... that ultimately failed to work.

It used to be a good drivers circuit, but it isn't anymore.
Date: November 06, 2008 03:30PM
Plus Piquet helped Renault win a race this year, by crashing so year you could say he done a good team job. And also by going out of races and not getting through to quali 3 more time can be spent looking after Alonso :)

Barcelona is a boring track, they test far to much on it so they know it to well.

I dont see how the on board pictures are better at Barcelona then Singapore where the driver is constanlty working. The main straight at Barcelona the driver is doing nothing apart from driving in a straight line.
Piquet isnt much worse then Kovoleinen, Kovoleinen didnt help anyway to Hamilton in taking points away from Ferrari, because he is crap. Mclaren lost the Constructors championship because of Kovoleinens poor speed.
It may well have been a clause in Alonsos contract to have a worse driver as teammate so he stayed at Renault, and Renault agreed to that because Renault need him, as he is the best driver in F1. I see Renault with Alonso next year as potentially title challenging again with the new car regulations. Alonso will help develop the car better then anyone, and next year we may even see Piquet with similar results to Kovoleinen next year, purely down to car performance, cos if you have the best car, you will always finish in top 8.
the onboard shots at singapore were fantastic i thought.

anyway, with several races due to enter in the next few seasons (india, korea, france, canda, portugal, usa etc.), one of the Spanish races may have to go, and tbh, i think Bernie would choose Valencia over Barcelona any day of the week, especially considering all the money they have spent building the track and the plans to rejuvenate the whole area.

X (@ed24f1)
Singapore onboards were boring as hell, nothing interesting and the bumps were bloody annoying.

Same for Valencia, boring and full of looooong straights.

I'd rather choose Barcelona over Valencia any day of the week. I dont care about their "new crap fake street circuit" or about the money theyve thrown there.

Date: November 06, 2008 04:28PM
Kovy though should do better next year, he joined mclaren to late and the car simply did not suit him. He just kept on over heating the tyres.

Plus in a few races he was unlucky and got the break downs. Spain was not his fault, Australia he was on for 2nd place until the saftey car, Japan he was on for a good result and the car broke, Turkey he was hit by kimi at the 1st corner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2008 04:36PM by marcl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy