Bruno Senna to Toro Rosso?

Posted by msater 
Bruno Senna to Toro Rosso?
Date: July 15, 2008 06:17PM
Posted by: msater
Hi,

If Sebastien Vettel does indeed go to Red Bull, as expected, who will be the new Toro Rosso driver in 2009. Here is a link to F1-Live.com:

[en.f1-live.com]

I hope it is Bruno Senna, as I was a big fan fan of Senna, when he was around, as was most other people. Post your comments here:
Re: Bruno Senna to Toro Rosso?
Date: July 15, 2008 06:43PM
Posted by: Nickv
berger has also said that he'd rather have a driver from the RedBull family.
Date: July 15, 2008 06:46PM
Posted by: J i m
Hmm I don't know, I think Bruno would benefit more from a whole years testing before making his Grand Prix Debut.

He's getting better all the time, but he's not as dominant in GP2, as Rosberg, Kovalainen and Hamilton seemed to be with an argubly stronger field to compete against than Senna.

I fully expect Senna to eventually make it to F1, it is after all a dream marketing opportunity, but I sense that he's going to be very methodical and sensible about how he does it.

But when he does arrive, I doubt he'll be making a huge impact, not in the sense of Ayrton's heroics in the Toleman anyway.
Date: July 15, 2008 06:56PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Senna is a good chance at STR next year i think, as they are more likely to go with a young driver than someone with more experience (such as Pantano) to partner Bourdais. Senna would also give them some nice publicity i suppose, although considering they have no sponsors at STR, he could well be more useful elsewhere.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 15, 2008 07:00PM
Posted by: Nuvolari
I only can say one thing about this... muuuuuuuuuu!!!! muuuuu!!! lol :D
Date: July 15, 2008 08:25PM
Posted by: Frantic
but.. if some team buys Toro Rosso for the 09 season?

Date: July 15, 2008 08:39PM
Posted by: LS.
At goodwood on sunday they were talking of Sebastian Buemi as a star if the future (hes the current Redbull test driver)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 15, 2008 08:39PM
Posted by: J i m
Well it is up for sale, or part of it is anyway.
Date: July 16, 2008 01:46AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
More than likely Toro Rosso won't exist after this season anyway...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: July 16, 2008 06:24PM
Posted by: badger27
It would make sense for the survival of STR that they get Salvador Duran, for the long term anyway. Berge needs a new business partner, and Telmex is a very stable one indeed. Can't see it happening, but if I was Berger, that would be the most logical proposal.

Williams' Wonders: Jones, K.Rosberg, Piquet, Mansell, Prost, Senna, Hill, Villeneuve, .....?
Date: July 19, 2008 01:44AM
Posted by: brunoboi
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmm I don't know, I think Bruno would benefit more
> from a whole years testing before making his Grand
> Prix Debut.
>

With today's strict rules on testing there doesn't seem to be all that much testing for non-race drivers to do. I mean look at Piquet, all he did for Renault was sit and watch the races from the pit wall then got one or two tests of the car during the season. It certainly didn't help him to prepare for racing.

So I think putting Bruno into STR is the best idea, a solid car to start off with and learn the sport before progressing up to RBR or another team once he is ready.

Date: July 19, 2008 01:49AM
Posted by: matt3454
Is Bruno actually any good, or is he only preferred because of his name?

Date: July 19, 2008 03:07AM
Posted by: Bruninho
I can guarantee that he is good.

Ayrton: "If you think that I'm good, wait until you see my nephew."

And he said it 4 real.

Date: July 19, 2008 03:30AM
A big answer going on here, so sorry :P I tried to explain it to matt ;)

He has speed, he has a good race pace, the only thing he needs is experience. Like Raikkonen, he's capable of learning the things quickly.

When he gets enough experience - Remember, his family didnt allowed him to race for 10 years after Ayrton's death - he'll be damn strong and recover everything that he lost since when he was starting in karts 14 years ago.

The name has nothing to do - He even wants to do the things on his own way. Comparisons are inevitable though, mainly because of the surname.

I quite understand Ayrton's words, "If you think that I'm good, wait until you see my nephew.".

Ayrton never managed to beat him in go-karts races in his farm @ Sao Paulo. ofc the weight was an advantage and they even tried to put some weight in Brunos kart.

I am not saying that he can do better than Ayrton but in some aspects he is already better. In others, he will never beat Ayrton. His obssession for pole-positions and for being the fastest on track, his will to win at all costs was a high price despite of some wins and titles - some cars didnt even survive the stress he put in them when pushing so hard.

For example, while others and drivers like Prost started the races building up speed and in a conservative way, Senna was immediately pushing harder and aggressively. Towards the end of the race, the conservative speed of some at the start allowed them to pull some fastest laps, while Sennas car, already raped, was falling down but he already had built a gap huge enough to win. In some cases it wasnt enough and Prost got the upper hand.

This is where Bruno is better: He's more rational, less emotional than Ayrton. Something he has got from his mother - Ayrton's sister, Vivianne Senna (she is also a psychologist). He cares enough of his car in order to extract the most of it, races for points when he cant win and races for win when he can. If you are expecting to see a "win or win" attitude just because he's a Senna, forget it. This is where people should start to realize that he will not be a replacement or whatever.

I support him not only because he's a Senna, because of his helmet or because he's Ayrtons nephew. I support him because i believe that hes good, I saw some of his races in F3 and GP2 and I can say that better than these so-called "brazilians" in F1. Well, they arent. They dont show up the true brazilian spirit. Bruno Senna does.

Date: July 19, 2008 03:32AM
Posted by: ro4die
i think Bruno not is a genius like your uncle, but will be good to see Piquet and Senna in F1 again!
Date: July 19, 2008 07:42AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Bruninho Wrote:
> I can guarantee that he is good.
>
> Ayrton: "If you think that I'm good, wait until
> you see my nephew."
>
> And he said it 4 real.

your opinion means naught

Date: July 19, 2008 10:13AM
Posted by: IWE
Fast or not, he is so old he wont stay for long.. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: July 19, 2008 01:12PM
Posted by: gav
Bruninho Wrote:
> I support him not only because he's a Senna,
> because of his helmet or because he's Ayrtons
> nephew. I support him because i believe that hes
> good, I saw some of his races in F3 and GP2 and I
> can say that better than these so-called
> "brazilians" in F1. Well, they arent. They dont
> show up the true brazilian spirit. Bruno Senna
> does.

Your interpretation of such spirit. Rubens in particular has always had a massive following in Brazil. He's pretty much the opposite in terms of persona compared to Senna, but despite his comparative lack of success, he's still idolised. Massa much less so.

Having watched him growing up in the European stage of his career, Bruno's changed no end. You'd have expected someone with such an old head (compared to his competitors) to have been a lot more restrained that he was. His Formula BMW days were dire. The number of times he crashed or spun from near the front in the early laps were beyond belief. Of the drivers expected to arrive in F1 soon, he's the one who jumps out at me who benefits from the tarmac run-offs we have now more than the others. Aryton never had that luxury.

He may have a much more measured approach now, but he's still too hot-headed, making too many mistakes to succeed to any degree in F1. He's more naturally gifted than Piquet, but I can see him going a similar way - getting a very poor reputation early on in his F1 racing career. How well he overcomes that will be critical to whether he turns into a Montoya or a Zonta. He's got the ability to win races, but not a championship. Ironically, I feel Massa is the closest current F1 driver I'd liken him too in terms of temperament, ability and likely success.

The Brazilian quest for a new star is going to have to carry on. None of the up-comers are anything more than capable.
Date: July 19, 2008 03:35PM
IWE Wrote:
> Fast or not, he is so old he wont stay for long..
> ;)

He's 24...

Date: July 19, 2008 03:51PM
gav Wrote:
> Your interpretation of such spirit. Rubens in
> particular has always had a massive following in
> Brazil. He's pretty much the opposite in terms of
> persona compared to Senna, but despite his
> comparative lack of success, he's still idolised.
> Massa much less so.
>

Massive support? Well, to be honest, seems that your interpretation of "massive support" in Brazil is based in the number of fans that attend to the F1 races @ Interlagos you see on TV. His support began to drop off after several consecutive failures @ Ferrari.

I can say that the communities here that hate him are bigger than his followers communities. He's often criticized and Comedy shows always refer to him as a slowpoke, a turtle, a loser, they do fun of the fact that he's a loser. There's almost no support for him except for a few critics in newspapers who were losers like him when they tried to tackle a motorsport career.

Idolised? By who?

#2 Ferrari is going by the same way. He's a 2.0 version of him, first he gets all the support, and once he starts to fail in every attempt to win the title, he'll end pretty much like the #17 Honda. Both are losers of the same specimen. They could be fast, they could be winners, but they will never win a world title, the goal of those who are in F1. Ayrton once said that F1 is a waste of time if you're not there to win. I agree.

Both drivers never admitted their errors, they always blame this driver, this car, this engineer or the whole world. It's never their fault and that's why they fail in F1 - arrogance.

Both are pretty arrogant and acts like twats when they are in Brazil. How they have fans despite of having a such behaviour, I don't know.

> Having watched him growing up in the European
> stage of his career, Bruno's changed no end. You'd
> have expected someone with such an old head
> (compared to his competitors) to have been a lot
> more restrained that he was. His Formula BMW days
> were dire. The number of times he crashed or spun
> from near the front in the early laps were beyond
> belief. Of the drivers expected to arrive in F1
> soon, he's the one who jumps out at me who
> benefits from the tarmac run-offs we have now more
> than the others. Aryton never had that luxury.
>

Indeed, but Bruno improved a lot in F3, I was amazed by his wet-weather driving skills by then. His Silverstone drive under rain isnt a surprise to me - it was expected.

> He may have a much more measured approach now, but
> he's still too hot-headed, making too many
> mistakes to succeed to any degree in F1. He's more
> naturally gifted than Piquet, but I can see him
> going a similar way - getting a very poor
> reputation early on in his F1 racing career. How
> well he overcomes that will be critical to whether
> he turns into a Montoya or a Zonta. He's got the
> ability to win races, but not a championship.

We'll see. For now, I believe that he's more capable than these "brazilians" that are in F1.

> Ironically, I feel Massa is the closest current F1
> driver I'd liken him too in terms of temperament,
> ability and likely success.
>

He's a hotlapper, but as a racer hes still a piece of s***. No consistency at all and no wet-weather driving ability either. How can you expect him to be a world champion if he's not a complete winning material? Hamilton isnt either, and he's more capable of winning it than him.

> The Brazilian quest for a new star is going to
> have to carry on. None of the up-comers are
> anything more than capable.

We'll only know when they have a winning car in F1... None of them, apart of Bruno, has the ability to build a charisma similar to Ayrton's levels with his fans. And it's not because of his surname.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy