Monaco GP Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by Joe_Satriani 
Re: Monaco GP Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: May 22, 2008 04:53PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Too early to say that Hamilton will have this one IMO. 4 tenths in a test isn't such a huge difference I think. Definitely have to see what will happen on Saturday.
Date: May 22, 2008 04:58PM
Posted by: marcl
He has had races in Monaco so he knows the place, out of all the new drivers this year he is the worst and he is in a top team.

At least RB has won races and did not look out of place when he joined F1.
I dont see how you can slag of massa and RB and rate piquet lol, you say we dont have good reason to slag of piquet what are your good reasons for not even calling them by name? what has piquet done for us to praise him?

Anyway enough now this is the race topic.
Date: May 22, 2008 04:58PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Hamilton will eat his tyres once again if he keeps sliding all the time, so this gonna be another Ferrari domination with Kimi ahead. But if it rains on Sunday... Kubica! ;)

Date: May 22, 2008 05:02PM
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He has had races in Monaco so he knows the place,
> out of all the new drivers this year he is the
> worst and he is in a top team.

GP2 cars = F1 cars? When it happened? Different cars, different days, different grip levels, different car setups... DIFFERENT EVERYTHING.

Renault top team? your kidding right? Just because they have two world titles? So is Williams a top team for you too? They cant barely keep up with the Red Bulls, yet alone the Force Indias.

>
> At least RB has won races and did not look out of
> place when he joined F1.

oh, yeah. 14 years, 257 races and 0 world titles... what a driving master eh? He's a LOSER. he was out of place when he did what he did at Austria.

> I dont see how you can slag of massa and RB and
> rate piquet lol, you say we dont have good reason
> to slag of piquet what are your good reasons for
> not even calling them by name? what has piquet
> done for us to praise him?
>

When they had a car to win the world title they failed, when they had a car to win races they played the coward #2 driver role (AUSTRIA anyone?), thats it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2008 05:04PM by Bruninho.
Date: May 22, 2008 05:05PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Bruninho, why does Rubens deserve criticism?
People aren't saying THEY could do better than Piquet, rather all of the other current and recent F1 drivers could be doing a better job.
Maybe Yamamoto would be closer to Alonso as well, plus he would be able to bring in a lot of sponsorship if he were a race driver (Has he driven the Renault yet?). They should promote him, or hire Sato I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2008 05:09PM by salvasirignano.
Date: May 22, 2008 05:12PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Raikkonen was very happy after the practise and said they improved a lot from last year..only problem was to get softer tyres to work immediately but when they do get them to work then they will be able to fight for pole position.
Date: May 22, 2008 05:14PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Soooo.... any times?

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: May 22, 2008 05:18PM
salvasirignano Wrote:
> Bruninho, why does Rubens deserve criticism?
> People aren't saying THEY could do better than
> Piquet, rather all of the other current and recent
> F1 drivers could be doing a better job.
> Maybe Yamamoto would be closer to Alonso as well,
> plus he would be able to bring in a lot of
> sponsorship if he were a race driver (Has he
> driven the Renault yet?). They should promote him,
> or hire Sato I think.

Yamamoto? ROFL.

Sato? ROFL.

Japanese drivers are crash dummies, will never make it in F1. They should just stop wasting time in being drivers and do engines. That's what they do best.

@Vesuvius: I hope that you are right, Kimi needs to win to consolidate his lead. Ferrari cannot afford mistakes at Monaco, Montreal is quite a fast and fluent track - just like Melbourne me thinks - and probably McLaren will improve there, so it's very important for Ferrari to win this sunday.

Date: May 22, 2008 05:18PM
Posted by: gav
Bruninho, stop rising to it and derailing every other thread time after time. Just have your say and move on. You gain nothing through pulling apart every sentence, and it only makes you more and more resented.

Piquet has been very poor. He made a mistake today and the minute people point it out, you're along to defend him. Alonso made the same mistake, though Alonso's not making them left, right and centre. Just accept that Piquet is struggling at the moment. If he doesn't get a break soon, then he'll be relieved of his duties - if that happens, then you've every right to defend him and say he was poorly represented in one way or another, and there'll be a thread all about it rather than converting every other one into a Piquet one. When he makes such a silly, costly mistake in practice, you can't defend him - same with Alonso. Same with any other driver.

It's hardly an awful car. People have driven far worse ones (and still do) without crashing them.

I'll all but ignore your Barrichello comment... as marcl said Rubens immediately impressed when he started in F1, and built on that all the way until he joined Ferrari (and perhaps he still continued to develop after that, depending on how you look at it). All Piquet has done so far is destroy what reputation he had, and he's got to dig very deep to rescue a future in the sport. The problem he's got is that when he digs deep, he makes mistakes. If he does have 2 races to rescue his job with Renault, then he's got big issues, as the next 2 tracks (this included) are street courses, and mistakes there end races. It's a big, big ask, but he's left Renault with little alternative.
Date: May 22, 2008 05:21PM
Lewis was not sliding any more than anyone else today from the feed I saw. He looked well in control.

Ferrari look good but just not on the same pace as Lewis. If they are not carefull they could end up with a williams in front of them. BMW did not look good at all.

So is the Renault faster than the STR and Force India? I think it is so why the hell is Piquet setting the same times as them then?

Alonso is up there with RBR etc.

As I said before lewis was straight on the pace of Alonso last year, why is piquet not?

"oh, yeah. 14 years, 257 races and 0 world titles... what a driving master eh? He's a LOSER. he was out of place when he did what he did at Austria. "

He was not allowed to race for the championship and he wanted to keep his job. I am not saying he is the best driver but he showed more promise in F1 straight away than Piquet has and he was driving for Jordan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2008 05:26PM by marcl.
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
vesuvius Wrote:
> Raikkonen was very happy after the practise and
> said they improved a lot from last year..only
> problem was to get softer tyres to work
> immediately but when they do get them to work then
> they will be able to fight for pole position.

That's good to know...we don't get very recent stuff about practice sessions here.
Posted by: marwood82
> Japanese drivers are crash dummies, will never
> make it in F1. They should just stop wasting time
> in being drivers and do engines. That's what they
> do best.
>

20-25 years ago you could have said the same thing about the Germans. They've all got to start somewhere.
Date: May 22, 2008 05:24PM
gav Wrote:
> I'll all but ignore your Barrichello comment... as
> marcl said Rubens immediately impressed when he
> started in F1, and built on that all the way until
> he joined Ferrari (and perhaps he still continued
> to develop after that, depending on how you look
> at it).

he did nothing to impress me when he started in 1993. I always classified him as garbage. He just collected some odd wins and sold his soul for money to play the cowardish #2 driver role at Ferrari.

Date: May 22, 2008 05:27PM
marwood82 Wrote:
> > Japanese drivers are crash dummies, will never
> > make it in F1. They should just stop wasting
> time
> > in being drivers and do engines. That's what
> they
> > do best.
> >
>
> 20-25 years ago you could have said the same thing
> about the Germans. They've all got to start
> somewhere.

Wolfgang Von Trips anyone? One of the first german drivers to win races back in the 50's and he didnt took years to do it? He had even finished runner-up in 1961.

Date: May 22, 2008 05:28PM
Was donnington 1993 rubbish then? He was brilliant that day in only his 3 gp I think it was.

Piquet already had a bad rep as many people said his team cheated in F3.

Anyway I am leaving it now back to the race.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2008 05:38PM by marcl.
Date: May 22, 2008 05:32PM
marcl Wrote:
> Was donnington 1993 rubbish then? He was brilliant
> that day in only his 3 gp I think it was.

What's so brilliant in starting P12, and retiring on lap 70 with a fuel pump failure to finish P10? Nothing.

> Piquet already had a bad rep as many people said his team cheated in F3.

ROFL... thats bullshit. They never cheated, this was just some rumour spreaded around by bad losers. You can prove it? these same people can prove it? No.

btw i found some videos of historic races at monaco? this week someone crashed under the tunnel? who was the poor soul that destroyed a great car there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2008 05:33PM by Bruninho.
Date: May 22, 2008 05:36PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
From the small vids I've seen, Lewis seems to have the control around Monaco that Senna and Prost had. Piquet and Alonso tried to find that, and missed!

I'm all for improving safety at Monaco, but I think there should be a barrier on the inside of Ste Devote to stop cheater Massa cutting it! Same for the swimming pool. It's a street circuit, it's supposed to be a challenge, not a training exercise.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: May 22, 2008 05:38PM
Posted by: marwood82
>
> Wolfgang Von Trips anyone? One of the first german
> drivers to win races back in the 50's and he didnt
> took years to do it? He had even finished
> runner-up in 1961.

yes i know Von trips was good. he was very good. but with the exception of Mass's 1 win, in post war F1 terms he was a 1 off.

the point i was making was that by the 80's they had BMW making a championship winning engine but in car/driver terms were reduced to that truck of a zakspeed and bernd schneider trundling around at the back.

mercedes and co, then invested in developing german drivers (as honda have been trying to do), and eventually we got the likes of schumacher, frentzen, heidfeld etc.

To just say, you've got no good drivers (though i personally think sato comes in for far more criticism than he deserves)
so you might as well just give up now and stop trying seems a bit unnecessary.
Date: May 22, 2008 05:39PM
"What's so brilliant in starting P12, and retiring on lap 70 with a fuel pump failure to finish P10? Nothing."

He was in a solid 3rd place when that happened.

Yes I agree about massa every single lap after he knocked that bollard out he cut that corner. They need to keep an eye on that, I dont know if you gain time or not but I think you get a better line out the corner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2008 05:42PM by marcl.
Date: May 22, 2008 05:40PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
I remember a rather unimpressed person(may have been Brundle), saying in 2006 how "it's taken two years, but Piquet has finally learnt to drive a GP2 car."
Whilst I don't think that was very fair at the time, I do think that his stock has not at any point was ever as high as it was with Rosberg, Kovalainen or Hamilton in his pre F1 days .
That may lead to him being dumped sooner rather than later I think, as instead of showing pace from the off, like Hamilton or Rosberg (2006 Bahrain, 19 out of the 50 fastest racelaps) he has been quite slow and erratic.
Not trying to wind you up Bruninho, just an opinion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy