Stewart considers legal action against Mosley

Posted by FRESCO 
Stewart considers legal action against Mosley
Date: October 09, 2007 10:41PM
Posted by: FRESCO
Sir Jackie Stewart is considering taking legal action against Max Mosley over remarks the FIA president made at a lunch with the British media last month.

Following the ‘spygate’ verdict, Stewart was vocal in his criticism of both the conduct of the case and the scale of the $100 million fine handed to McLaren by the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council.

Mosley responded by telling journalists that Stewart’s pronouncements were not taken seriously by anyone in Formula except some sponsors, and that the drivers saw him as “a figure of fun”.

He also mocked the Scot’s distinctive attire and allegedly labelled him a “certified halfwit”.

The comments were condemned by 1996 world champion Damon Hill, who wrote to last week’s Autosport magazine accusing Mosley of “a gross insult” and calling on him to make a public apology.

Mosley has refused to retract his comments, however, telling autosport.com that Stewart’s views on the spying affair were “ill-informed” and “partisan” and suggesting that unpopularity among sections of the “British motorsport establishment” was a price he was prepared to pay for upholding the governing body’s integrity.

“I have no apology to make for having said as much publicly and I am more than happy to repeat this view about him now and in the future,” Mosley was quoted as saying.

Stewart is now considering whether to sue Mosley for defamation and told ITV-F1.com on Tuesday evening that he has not been dissuaded from doing so by Mosley’s latest comments.

He also reiterated his view that the record fine meted out to McLaren in the spying case was unjust and said his opinion was shared by many others who had studied the evidence in detail.

“I am still considering legal action because I maintain my view that to resort to low-level abuse like this is hardly seemly for someone in his position,” Stewart told ITV-F1.com.

“More importantly, it actually avoids the main substance of an important motorsport debate.

“I’m not the only one questioning the findings and the punishment handed out to McLaren by the FIA.

“An increasing number of serious journalists and commentators who have studied the detail of the transcripts of the case have come to the same view.

“As a result of studying the detail, those journalists are saying they now believe that McLaren were the victims of an injustice.

“More people should study the transcripts and come to their own view about whether the punishment was unjustified.

“Is he [Mosley] going to personally demean everyone who holds a counter view?

“Because all I’ve given is my opinion. I was asked my opinion by the various channels – I didn’t phone them up and call them.”

Stewart confirmed that his lawyers have been in contact with Mosley but said he had not yet decided whether or not to take further action.

Source - ITV

Personally, I hope he takes him to the cleaners. Mosley's comments, regardless of whether Stewart was right or wrong, are hugely offensive. The very comment alone suggests to me that Mad Max is not somebody who can fairly represent the FIA, as he clearly holds personal grudges against people for as far as I can tell no good reason.

Re: Stewart considers legal action against Mosley
Date: October 09, 2007 11:16PM
Posted by: elio
I always gave Mosley the benefit of the doubt, thinking he is a fair man doing a difficault job. But anyone who has met Jackie Stewart would know (i have had that privilage)that to call Jackie a half-wit is to show yourshelf to be exactly that. He is one of the most inteligent people you could meet. He seems to weigh every word he uses as if his dyslexia has caused him to be particuarly afraid of mis-understandings.

Mosley needs to get over himself. Like Balestre before him he hs been doing the job too long and has lost perspective. Most of the teams have bent or broken the rules at some time or another. For any team to wag thier finger at mclaren is deeply hypocritical - thats if you asume them to guilty in the proper sense.

Stick the lot of them in go-karts and let them battle it out that way!
Date: October 10, 2007 12:18AM
Posted by: tripleM
I am somewhat surprised that an intelligent man who should be familiar with the yellow book (he did run a team, right?) is so much off-base on the way FIA decisions are made.

And frankly anyone claiming that any of the teams is deeply hypocritical is committing the same offense they criticize the FIA for.

Date: October 10, 2007 02:52AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Stewart is waving the national banner when he chooses to ignore that McLaren got caught cheating red handed. And I for one am deathly tired of the British media and the out of control propaganda churned out in the English press in an effort to give McLaren a free pass. Stewarts campaign on behalf of Ron Dennis is just another tawdry example of this behavior.

That said Max is the one looking like a halfwit in this affair, and for him to continue to utter such base comments about Stewart reflects badly on F1. If Bernie wasn't senile himself he would give Max his walking papers.

But I suppose like all rich, elderly power brokers they will have to pry the sport from his and Max's cold, dead hands in order to make any real changes to F1 or FIA....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2007 06:34AM by Jagdpanzer.
Date: October 10, 2007 04:07AM
Posted by: Mr_Fossy
Good on Stewart a true legend of the sport. I could not believe the rubbish Mosley said about him, it sounded to me like an emotional outburst by a man under pressure, something a man in his position should not have and these careless words should rightly be punished.
Date: October 10, 2007 07:29AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Stewart is waving the national banner when he chooses to ignore that McLaren got caught cheating red handed.

I highly doubt that is why he has been anti-FIA in this case. Jackie is a proud Scot, but has never really shown that he is a proud Brit. McLaren has nothing to do with Scotland other than Bruce's surname, if you back in his family history enough.

Whatever Stewart has said, it did not warrant that reply from a man who is supposed to be in charge of one of the most important motorsport organisation's in the world. Although in saying that, the FIAs deliberate killings off of several series should be enough to have him removed from his position of power, but it seems not.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 10, 2007 11:03AM
Posted by: tripleM
A (former) president of the BRDC doesn't change his spots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2007 11:04AM by tripleM.
Date: October 10, 2007 12:12PM
Posted by: mikef1
This is what the "certified halfwit" has done for the sport:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]
Date: October 10, 2007 12:55PM
Posted by: gav
tripleM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am somewhat surprised that an intelligent man
> who should be familiar with the yellow book (he
> did run a team, right?)

Nope, his son did, Paul Stewart. Jackie was there in an advisory capacity and because of his strong links to many throughout the motorsport world, most critically Ford.

Off topic, but Racing Stewart: The Birth of a Grand Prix Team is one of the very best books I've read. It's a great insight into how difficult it is to start up a team from scratch in the modern era (if the mid-nineties can be called that now). Highly recommended.
Date: October 10, 2007 12:59PM
Posted by: Muks_C
looked like a good video, but i had no sound :(

i've said it before, what he's done for safety can only be applauded and he has to be respected for his driving and particularly his safety campaign, but that doesn't give him licence to say anything which everyone has to accept as "fact" or "the truth".

he keeps going on about the "100 million dollar fine", but it's far from it. it's £50 million, and at least 35 of that is from prize money they won't now receive, so they are only having to dip their hands in their pockets for around £15 million, maybe less.

fair enough they will have budgeted all of next season counting on the prize money, but as Max has said, the "actual loss" of around £15 million only brings them down to the level of a lot of the other teams in the paddock.

it was wrong of Max to make personal insults, but i can't see what right Jackie has in continually criticising the FIA for the penalty it gave to McLaren.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 10, 2007 04:01PM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
> tripleM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am somewhat surprised that an intelligent man
> > who should be familiar with the yellow book (he
> > did run a team, right?)
>
> Nope, his son did, Paul Stewart. Jackie was there
> in an advisory capacity and because of his strong
> links to many throughout the motorsport world,
> most critically Ford.
>
> Off topic, but Racing Stewart: The Birth of a
> Grand Prix Team is one of the very best books I've
> read. It's a great insight into how difficult it
> is to start up a team from scratch in the modern
> era (if the mid-nineties can be called that now).
> Highly recommended.

Its funny how the team he created is probably F1's biggest upcoming teams now, RedBull ;-)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 10, 2007 07:47PM
Posted by: dkpioe
howcome there is no one around who can give mosley his come-up-ence (im not sure of the spelling). the guy is a total invert, totally great in his own mind, totally homosexualised in his understanding of formula one. cant someone make some top f1 figures do something about him, start a smear campaign or something to have him shut out for good? he is getting old, and id love to see this pathetic loser lose his mind after a public backlash, and see him locked up in a mental hospital, tied down after a suicide attempt. He is all ego, more then just a politician, he is a pure jerk, using his power to get his way.

Jackie Stewart is one of the nicest guys ever in Formula One, he doesnt lie, he is political. i hope he does sue Mosely, and take down this whole FIA-ferrari Mafia body that has ruined my favourite sport. if Stewart was FIA president, imagine how great the racing would be these days, it would be a sport for Gentlemen, and not political lies which this old homo Mosely promotes.
Date: October 10, 2007 07:59PM
Are you trying to get yourself banned? Do you put effort into it? Is it fun?
Date: October 10, 2007 08:27PM
Posted by: brnco
Leave him be. he's probably fed up.

BTW what is certified halfwit?
Date: October 10, 2007 08:40PM
Date: October 10, 2007 08:47PM
Posted by: Hologide
Certified halfwit is basically a fancy way of saying 'retard'.

Totally out of order from max - sure hope it wasn't in reference to Jackie's dyslexia.
Btw, great video/article posted above.
Date: October 10, 2007 08:48PM
@gav

is that:

brnco=dkpioe

or

brnco= certified halfwit

???
Date: October 10, 2007 09:01PM
Posted by: Muks_C
you asked what a halfwit was, he gave you a mirror. you can work it out.

@ Hologide, i doubt Max was referring to Jackie's dyslexia.

and halfwit is just a word like "idiot", it's not as insensitive or offensive as actually calling someone a retard or retarded.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 10, 2007 09:10PM
Well in that case I'm considering taking legal action against gav.
Date: October 10, 2007 09:17PM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
> [www.home-furniture-direct.co.uk]
> Pickwick-Cheval-Mirror.JPG

ROFL
that is actually the funniest reply ive ever read on here!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy