williams at bahrain

Posted by Muttley 
williams at bahrain
Date: March 23, 2004 05:43AM
Posted by: Muttley
it seems there is some (rightful) concern that williams have already driven 25 laps of the new bahrain circuit with marc gene. whilst i am much more of a williams fan than ferrari, its a fair comment that jean todt made - 'imagine the reaction if we had done this' does anyone think that williams will have gained any advantage from this???
Re: williams at bahrain
Date: March 23, 2004 06:12AM
Posted by: Pooky
to be honest i dont think so

yes they would have got some tyre data and some data on setup - but hardly anything worth it

the track was VERY sandy and dusty - so tyre data will not be valid as the track would clean up immensely when all the cars are running

and as the grip levels were so low then setup data is rendered pretty much useless

Date: March 23, 2004 06:43AM
Posted by: HaGGiS
It'll help them in the first practice session as they already have a basic setup to go on, after that the others will catch up as the fine tuning starts
Date: March 23, 2004 06:44AM
Posted by: Vader
I guess they will have taken at least some advantage from it - why else should they have done it in the first place? Transport is so expensive and time-consuming these days that they hardly carry there stuff anywhere just for fun. The reason for doing Bahrain laps is either to gather information or because BMW thought it might be good publicity. In any case they will have an advantage from it. Is this fair? Actually not - but Jean Todt complaining about things not being fair makes me think of glasshouses and throwing stones.

Post Edited (03-23-04 13:48)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 23, 2004 08:07AM
Posted by: marcl
Did u see the dust on the track looked bad.

I read some where that williams had to use an old car old tyres so do not think they would have gained.
Date: March 23, 2004 08:59AM
Posted by: Muks_C
Jean Todt is right, if Ferrari had done 25 laps of a new circuit before anyone else people would have been screaming blue murder, even if the data gathered was useless.

But I don't think williams got much out of it anyway. Most drivers and team bosses are of the opinion that any decent driver can learn a new circuit in about 10 laps, and start improving their times from then on, so within half an hour of the first practice session, everyone will know it ok, and can then work on optimising the setup.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 23, 2004 10:11AM
i will put my neck on the line right now and say michael schumacher will qualify on pole with at least half a seond over 2nd place.

you can quote me on this after the qualifying.

because schuey is a master at new tracks, he has a great car, great tyres, and also the bahrain figuration with fast sweeping corners bit like sepang should play into the ferrari's hands

Date: March 23, 2004 10:13AM
Posted by: Lanky-Lad
If they did those laps at racing speed I'd say it would've given them an unfair advantage.

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Date: March 23, 2004 10:43AM
Posted by: LS.
its a fair comment that jean todt made - 'imagine the reaction if we had done this'

**TRANSLATION**

Jean Todt - I wish we had done this' :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: March 23, 2004 12:05PM
Posted by: twiglet
there is no way in the world the could NOT gain an advantage, i mean, no-one in the world has driven on the track and i presume the best teams can have till now is layout specs of the track and simulations. Williams have now tested for 25 laps there so they can know lots of details, i.e, actual physical layout of corners taking into account kerb sizes, noticble bumps, possibilities of top end gear ratios, and just so many other suspension information and traction information.
They may not have been given any real setup work time or even driver familiarity if it was gene driving but if you ask any team what helps them get setup and finding time quickly during a weekend it is going through all the data from the previous years race, analysing it and using it to prepare the car before it turns a wheel. With Bahrain, no-one has any data cos of no running but williams suddenly has acquired 25 laps (30-45mins of track time) that with a team in F1 and all the money pumped into it would be invaluable at gaining a few tenths from the off. Not to mention mitchelin getting some samples of tyre wear and effects even on old used tyres in sub race speeds. These guys are the top of their proffesion and no how to glean info from every source.
If scientists and engineers can find one small fault on a totaly destroyed space shuttle and know why it happened when it crashed and incinerated to on earth, then tyre technicians and engineers will know how to go away from bahrain and learn valuable info from their data recorded, even if it wasn't at optimum circumstances.
In my opinion, it should have been Minardi, Jordan, Toyota and Sauber who attended and opened bahrain and given 25 laps as this would have brought more sponsers intrest collectively to the event and given the struggling teams a chance to test and learn a new circuit that would benefit them on finding set-ups, but wouldn't bother the top teams if they gained a small advantage because their advantage outright is huge already and so wouldn't be any real threat to the championship result.
It was foolish of the FIA to allow a big name team to run at a circuit like that and could only have been more contraversial if it was a german driver driving his red car there instead.
This is yet another insight into how the FIA is flawed and needs a complete overhaul. They seem to believe that people have more interest in all the controversy and backbiting in F1 and not about pure racing.

now wake up and post a reply....lol

only thing better than F1....... My dream for a PLAYBOY F1 championship!!!
Date: March 23, 2004 12:19PM
fair enough

i agree with you on the flawed FIA part!

Date: March 23, 2004 12:29PM
Posted by: P-ranha
How come only Williams were the only ones to test at Bahrain ?

were the other teams not allowed to ?

Date: March 23, 2004 12:40PM
Posted by: twiglet
well ferrari seemed shocked and i doubt they or mclaren would miss a trick

only thing better than F1....... My dream for a PLAYBOY F1 championship!!!
Date: March 23, 2004 12:46PM
Posted by: NickKK
I've always been bemused by how teams would approach a completely new circuit. Aparently they have simulators and such for the drivers to get a feel, but first time out on track how do you set up your car ? 15 front wing 15 rear wing ;) as well as all the other factors like gear ratios and such you don't exactly want to be wasting laps over-revving(:s) the engine coz you got your ratios too low especially now with one-engine rule.
Date: March 23, 2004 12:57PM
Posted by: Muks_C
nice translation LS, so true!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 24, 2004 04:46AM
Posted by: G_Force
How come only Williams were the only ones to test at Bahrain ?

were the other teams not allowed to ?

Read the team principles briefing from Malaysia, i seem to recall that there was something mentioned about why and how it all came about, can't rememer what was said exactly and i'm too lazy to go back and find out so u'll have to try urself!

----------
[timblair.net]
----------
Homer Simpson: "Well i would like to live long enough to see the effects of global warming, cos i've got an inside line that its all a load of crap"
Date: March 24, 2004 08:04AM
Posted by: HaGGiS
its a fair comment that jean todt made - 'imagine the reaction if we had done this'

**TRANSLATION**

Jean Todt - I wish we had done this'

lol it seems your absolutely correct because Jean Todt has just asked to 'preview' the Shanghai circuit!
Date: March 24, 2004 09:50AM
Posted by: chet
>> its a fair comment that jean todt made - 'imagine the reaction if we had done this'

**TRANSLATION**

Jean Todt - I wish we had done this' <<

I agree with this. I think that they would have got an idea of tyre wear, but not much.

Patrick Head said that the track was very grippy despite dust?? (that could be interesting)
Date: March 24, 2004 10:35AM
Posted by: LS.
Hungaroring is notorious for its dusty enviroment and causes problems for the drivers, yet the clip that i saw on ITV showing Gene lapping the new track looked 10 times worse

Goodness knows what tyres patrick head made gene put on the Williams to get that kind of grip

Probably caterpillar tracks LOL :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: March 24, 2004 10:47AM
Posted by: dreams come trulli
hehe lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy