Williams Lexus/Toyota

Posted by Brianf666 
Williams Lexus/Toyota
Date: June 06, 2006 09:00PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Autosport magazine claim the deal for Williams to have cheap Toyota engines from 2007 is done. There is a suspicion that part of the deal will see Nico Rosberg going to Toyota. If these claims are true, it seems to me a very high price for a lame-duck engine. What say you?

Nico bites yer tyres!
Re: Williams Lexus/Toyota
Date: June 06, 2006 09:11PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
At this moment a engine is more important then a driver , there are enough good drivers in the world , take montagny or someone and you have a good driver.

Date: June 06, 2006 09:12PM
Posted by: Sauber89
i think the toyota boss ruled out having rosberg there next year engine's not that bad certainly more reliable

Date: June 06, 2006 09:13PM
Posted by: Nickv
I am gonna LMAO if Williams totally pwms Toyota next year if they get Toyota engines ;)
Date: June 06, 2006 09:15PM
Posted by: MarcLister
Brianf666 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Autosport magazine claim the deal for Williams to
> have cheap Toyota engines from 2007 is done. There
> is a suspicion that part of the deal will see Nico
> Rosberg going to Toyota. If these claims are true,
> it seems to me a very high price for a lame-duck
> engine. What say you?
>
> Nico bites yer tyres!
Seems to be true. [www.itv-f1.com]

A pity Williams have dumped Cosworth but I think Williams wanted/needed a richer engine partner if it wanted to contest for wins and championships any time soon.

I had heard about the Williams/Toyota connection so whoever picked up on this in the paddock was on the ball with this one.

Could be quite a good partnership for Williams. That article says Williams could get more sponsor money if they have a Toyota engine. One thing that I'm unsure about is are the engines going to be customer spec or not? Will Williams have access to the most up-to-date engines/the same spec as the main Toyota team?

Wait for LS. to give us his views, he being the resident Williams fan. Incidentally I'd like to be his deputy I've decided. Not having had a team to support since Damon Hill departed the sport I'm back supporting the team of 1996 again.
Date: June 06, 2006 09:23PM
Posted by: LS.
*** elbows way into the thread**

Well, for the short term its better to have a company with the resources of Toyota than a short term stop gap like Cosworth, in todays F1 i dont really think Cosworth has a chance against the manufacturers, so what Williams are doing is taking a step up ( not a massive step)

No team can really be truely competitive when being second inline for the engines from a manufacturer, so i'm hoping that the bods at Williams are talking to other engine manufacturers behind the scenes at this very moment in time.

There were rumours about Hyundai breaking into F1 and rumours about Williams so who knows

I'd be happy if the VW/Audi group came into F1 and supplied Williams in the not too distant future :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 06, 2006 09:33PM
LS. Wrote:
> I'd be happy if the VW/Audi group came into F1 and
> supplied Williams in the not too distant future
>
Hasn't that been a rumour for quite a few years now? If I remember correctly VW own Audi and isn't it thought that VW could enter F1 under the Audi marque? With Mercedes and BMW now controlling (or having some say in a team)/owning F1 teams it could be prudent for Audi to get in and compete with the other German marques in F1.

But with Mercedes owning a large chunk of McLaren and BMW having taken over Sauber then wouldn't Audi want their own team? Not just supply a team with engines but run the team itself?
Date: June 06, 2006 10:15PM
Posted by: Sauber89
vw have said they see no benefit in f1 cost hundreds of millions and doesnt do much to your reputation if you fail (toyota anyone)

Date: June 06, 2006 10:22PM
Sauber89 Wrote:
> vw have said they see no benefit in f1 cost
> hundreds of millions and doesnt do much to your
> reputation if you fail (toyota anyone)
>
>
Yeah that is what would stop new engine manufacturers entering F1. The massive cost of getting into F1 either by buying a team or setting up a team. Then the engines and their design.

And only one team can win a race/championship so we have Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes, BMW and Toyota spending mega bucks yet only one can win. I mean of course that Ferrari could win the team championship and Renault could have the driver's champion.

And as you say Toyota aren't getting much for their buck, yen or euro depending on which currency they want to use. They outspend Ferrari don't they? Or if not are spending close to Ferrari yet Ferrari are achieving more success for their dollar than Toyota.

I didn't know Toyota owned Lexus. I take it Williams would run Lexus badged Toyotas in 07 then? So officially Williams Toyotas couldn't beat Toyota Toyota?

Suppose it also makes sense from a marketing sense. Williams get the Toyota power and support and sponsor money indirectly yet Toyota get to market two brands in F1.
Date: June 06, 2006 10:24PM
Posted by: mikef1
VW spent an untold amount of money on the Bugatti Veyron project so they are prepared to spend if they think it's worth it. Also if they are spending money in the DTM series and doing as well as they are then they could potentially take the step up to F1, i really hope they do.
Date: June 06, 2006 10:30PM
mikef1 Wrote:
> VW spent an untold amount of money on the Bugatti
> Veyron project so they are prepared to spend if
> they think it's worth it. Also if they are
> spending money in the DTM series and doing as well
> as they are then they could potentially take the
> step up to F1, i really hope they do.
The thing with the Veyron was it was a brilliant car and didn't really have to compete with anybody else. It didn't have a limited slice of a sports revenue nor did it tax the VW board. It was just a challenge to see what a car like that would be like.

Would VW want to throw money at an F1 team for what 10 years minimum? Like it threw money at the Veyron project as a one off.

It would be nice if another engine company made it into F1 and either supported another team such as Williams or started up its own team rather than remove a bit of history from F1. Like Minardi and Jordan. Towards the end they weren't that good but Minardi/Torro Rosso apart (thanks to Red Bull cash) Midland have totally ruined the team that was effectively Jordan.
Date: June 06, 2006 11:18PM
Posted by: Slasher
Could this be a stepping stone for Toyota to pull out of F1?

Current Toyota president Tsutomu Tomita promised a win in 2006 to director-general of toyota's Motorsport Division Yoshiaki Kinoshita, and obviously that is not going to happen.

It is estimated that Toyota spent $1.265 Billion, thats right, BILLION dollars between the 03-05 season. Surely they cannot continue to spend this kind of money and still be unsuccessful.

If Williams are successful with Toyota engines, they will be getting their name up in neon lights for the fraction of the price. In fact, Williams will be PAYING THEM for their name to be up in neon lights.

These next couple of seasons could be the catalyst for the Toyota team.

If they continue to flop, and Williams shine with their engines, trouble maybe a brewing in Toyota land.
Date: June 06, 2006 11:35PM
Posted by: tripleM
Williams >>> Midland

Indeed more pressure for the guys in Cologne

Date: June 06, 2006 11:40PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
*cough* VW

[v12racing.net]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 06, 2006 11:48PM
Posted by: tripleM
A quick search reveals that they are technical partners.

Must be some sort of connection remaining from the previous ownership(of Cosworth).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2006 11:49PM by tripleM.
Date: June 07, 2006 01:29AM
Posted by: LS.
I wonder if Webber and Rosberg will have to have Tartan blankets in the back and a white fedora and a crown bowls set in the rear to conform to the Toyota car image?

And instead of the drivers drink bottle to help them through the rigours of a GP they'll instead be given these

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 07, 2006 02:23AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Technical partners is a lovely start to a full working relationship however :)

Red Bull sponsors Audis DTM efforts. Audi is owned by VW.
Red Bull runs the "official" Skoda WRC effort. Skoda is owned by VW.
I belive they sponsor some random Seats and other race cars too, which are owned by VW.

Is it conincidence that its a VW logo on an RBR owned site?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 07, 2006 04:25AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
This could be potentially interesting. Seeing STR with VW/Audi engines on the future might make me like them more. Not that I dislike them though...RedBull is an ok team IMO.
Date: June 07, 2006 04:45AM
Posted by: danm
ITS 100% OFFICIAL!!! :D cooool!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 07, 2006 06:46AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
There has been some suggestion recently of Red Bull dumping Ferrari engines and buying Cosworth outright as it's own in-house engine company. The guys at Cosworth claim they would not be against such a arrangement. Williams leaving Cosworth behind would open the door for such a deal in 2008...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy