How much of a Formula One fan are you?

Posted by McLaren Fan 
Re: How much of a Formula One fan are you?
Date: August 01, 2003 02:54PM
Posted by: Todays_Horse
You cant say that! He passed MS fair and square, it was all driver brilliance and talent.

Its only when my 'beloved team and driver' wins that its down to the tyres and the car. Unless its Rubens of course......go figure:)

'The beak of Ayrton Senna's chicken is pulling ahead!' ~ Murray Walker
Date: August 01, 2003 05:10PM
Posted by: LS.
the point was that you said "details of a feature by damon hill 'how to overtake' (PMSL!!)

which he quite clearly did starting from the back of the grid and ending up on the podium, therefore making your point incorrect

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 01, 2003 06:12PM
So i laughed at a feature from a magazine from 7 years ago...

On the two noticeable occasions he actually did some overtaking, in 7 or 8 years in F1, without taking out M Schumacher, and hes good at it. Ok point taken im wrong yet again for having an opinion.

Date: August 01, 2003 06:26PM
if you bothered to actually look at the results for yourself instead of reading features from 7 years ago you'd probably have a bit more respect

but you probably were'nt even interested in F1 back then, just jumped on the ferrari bandwagon along with the rest of the schumacher fans

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 01, 2003 06:51PM
Erm, dont think so. So now i have to respect Damon Hill? Ok, so he won a world championship. Thats great for him, great for britain, great for williams.

The fact i didnt cheer him on is up to me. But as i didnt follow formula one until Schumacher joined Ferrari and i jumped on the ferrari bandwagon in 96 then i dont really know why i was cheering Nigel Mansell on (now he could overtake) from his first season in F1 when i jumped on the Nigel Mansell bandwagon in the early eighties. Its beyond me.

Date: August 01, 2003 10:17PM
Posted by: Gill
OH MY GOD ! You guys are all sick dont you see that! well i must be a little , im trying to read all that bs

"When a driver wins his first Grand Prix,everybody is his friend,the moment he wins his second,he becomes a rival." Colin Chapman father of the Lotus team
Date: August 02, 2003 08:24AM
Posted by: Ellis
hungary 97 was about the tyres not the car or the driver,yes he might of passed ms but ms didn't have the best car,he was also ahead of the williams and mclarens,so it's not a case of he passed ms he was ahead of everyone.

MS didnt have the best car. thats correct, and Damon had an even worse car

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 02, 2003 09:17AM
MS didnt have the best car. thats correct

Are you sure? From what ive read, MS has had the best car in every season hes raced. But as i didnt follow F1 before 1996 (:)), i couldnt possibly comment

Date: August 02, 2003 11:05AM
Posted by: Zcott
MS rarely had the best car in the Benetton (pre-1996) days, but things have recently changed. From about 2000 onwards, he had the best car. McLaren undoubtedly had the upper hand in '98 and '99, and Williams had the best car from 1991-1997, IMO!

Date: August 02, 2003 11:09AM
I wud say in 94 by the end of the year the car might have been equal

1995 Willaism was better

1996 Williams was better, and possibly the benetton also

1997 Willaism was better

1998 McLaren was better

1999 McLaren was better, but it was close

2000 they were about equal

2001 ferrari is streaks ahead

2002 same again

2003 Right now the Willaism is better

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 02, 2003 11:22AM
Benneton had the best car in 94, even senna could'nt keep up with it, only senna's skill kept putting it on pole positon for those first few races

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 02, 2003 11:38AM
Posted by: Zcott
I'm not sure if it was the best car in '94....I know Senna had trouble keeping up with it, but how much of it was Benetton running traction control? Look to Jos Verstappen for the results that year, what Michael was doing it was extraordinary, but Jos probably showed as fast as the car would go.

Having said that, the FW16 was a beast, but by the end of the year, I think it was the best car out there.

Date: August 02, 2003 12:17PM
the 94 car was built around schumacher ( this was the first of many) and JOS was a rookie, schumacher was in 3rd year of F1

how can you compare?

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 02, 2003 12:57PM
Posted by: Mark
i'll say it again,the benetton was not found on any occasion to be running traction control and certainly wasn't the best car in 94,it was still a v8 while the williams was using a renault v10.
all we here about 94 is traction control and cheating,try giving him some credit for his victories that year,for all the rumours re launch control he certainly had some crap starts that year.
you need to look at where letto and verstappen where in his absence during his 2 race ban,in qualifying and the races in monza and estoril they where nowhere,and it's not a case of software was removed if ms wasn't driving that would of been obvious with the two other drivers so far back it was down to michaels performance in the car as benetton still wanted to win the constructors championship.

if anyone does have proof re launch and traction control i'd like to see it.
Date: August 02, 2003 01:14PM
and certainly wasn't the best car in 94,it was still a v8 while the williams was using a renault v10.
all we here about 94 is traction control and cheating,try giving him some credit for his victories that year

so what your saying is that schumacher in a poor car was better than senna in the best car?

get real

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 02, 2003 02:58PM
Posted by: b-tone
i've got a mclaren-grey dishwashing brush.

____
Tony

Date: August 02, 2003 03:35PM
Those first four races of 1994 didnt really give us the races we wanted to see. How the season would have panned out had imola not happened???

We will never know. The only thing we do know is early in the season the FW16 was an evil handling thing that even senna couldnt tame around interlagos, and Schumacher took advantge of it, but you cant blame him for that. Senna stuck the thing on pole every race, so the potential was there

Which car was 'the best' is debatable. On paper, it should have been the williams. In 1995, when they both had the same engine, things should have been more equal, but williams often poor race strategy cost Damon hill (along with a bit of poor driving on occasion)

wether it was designed 'around him' is also debatable. Looking at both the 93 car and the 94 car, are they really completley different?

Im not saying you are wrong, but if the team thought that was the way to go, then why not?

Date: August 02, 2003 04:47PM
Posted by: sasjag
"if anyone does have proof re launch and traction control i'd like to see it."

well accoridng to benetton engineers, they were using everything except turbos that year ;)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: August 02, 2003 05:08PM
i'll say it again,the benetton was not found on any occasion to be running traction control and certainly wasn't the best car in 94,it was still a v8 while the williams was using a renault v10.

Actaully in France TC software was found, just they cudnt prove it was used. Seems a bit odd the car with TC gets the best starts, but nvm eh.

And yes like Sasjag says ex-benetton employs said those cars were as illegal as they cud possibly be made.

Date: August 02, 2003 06:21PM
Those first four races of 1994 didnt really give us the races we wanted to see. How the season would have panned out had imola not happened???

We will never know. The only thing we do know is early in the season the FW16 was an evil handling thing that even senna couldnt tame around interlagos, and Schumacher took advantge of it, but you cant blame him for that. Senna stuck the thing on pole every race, so the potential was there

totally agree 100% with you ( theres always a first for everything :) )

Which car was 'the best' is debatable. On paper, it should have been the williams. In 1995, when they both had the same engine, things should have been more equal, but williams often poor race strategy cost Damon hill (along with a bit of poor driving on occasion)

again i agree with you, 94 saw the ban of all the hightech gizmo's that made williams so dominant in 92 -93 and williams 94 car was poor out of the box, they sorted the car out by the latter half of the year and with MS being banned helped hill to close the gap

but hill had to win those races dont forget, and beat schumacher in the wet at suzuka in a split timed race over two halfs to take it to the last race of the season

LS's Tip of the week
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy