Montoya who?

Posted by CDN_Merlin 
Re: Montoya who?
Date: June 01, 2002 08:03AM
Posted by: Mark
nothing was proved about illegal devices on the benetton,and to quote something damon might of said doesn't add proof.i still believe that if benetton were using traction control they would of been thrown out,we all know from it's re-introduction last year that you can hear it on a car so there would of been no doubt.

i also believe that a story would of come out,maybe an ex employee to confirm this but it just hasn't happened.benetton used an old airstrip for their drivers to make practice starts which is why michael was good off the line,when alesi moved to benetton in 96,for those of you who have the season review or any races on video,see how many times alesi gets a flyer,most races in fact,though cause his name isn't schumacher there is no mention of traction control though the same team.
benetton just made a big issue of drivers making practice starts.

from memory,though if i am wrong please correct me.traction and launch control had only recently been banned,benetton still had their launch control program on the car but, like a few other teams didn't remove it for fear it would corrupt other software programs on the car.

a big deal was made about this but because benetton were suprise front runners they were the team tarnished,it goes to show if you are at the back of the grid no one is interested but near the front it's a different matter.
the fia computer people found the programme was disabled and the best evidence suggested that it hadn't been used in 94.
Date: June 01, 2002 08:53AM
Posted by: Zcott
nothing was proved about illegal devices on the benetton

True. Nothing was confirmed, but there were LOTS of suspicions. Michael's starts were never his strongest point, and I think Alex will agree on that.

from memory,though if i am wrong please correct me.traction and launch control had only recently been banned

Yep. It had been outlawed for '94. There was an amusing moment in Hungary where Phililpe Alliot, standing in for Hakkinen, said he could have gone faster if he had hit the traction control switch on the dashboard....
Date: June 01, 2002 11:44AM
Posted by: _Alex_
The whole thing about Benetton running illegal traction control in '94

Think about it. If that was the case, then somebody - anybody - an ex-employee - who worked in the Benetton F1 team in 1994 would have spilled the beans by now. If they were running illegal devices, it would be known about now.

Michael's starts were never his strongest point, and I think Alex will agree on that.

Yup I do agree but I still don't think Benetton were breaking any rules. Schumacher's starts are much better now, and even when they weren't so good, he's made some of the best starts I've ever seen.

However the prize for the highest number of fastest starts must surely go to Alesi. Sixth to the lead in Monza '96!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 01, 2002 12:50PM
Posted by: Ellis
The main reason i dont like MS was confirmed at Austria

Why did MS raise his hand after the win and keep it up for most of the lap? The only take it down when his engine is off and he can hear the crowd booing

i find that slightly odd.....

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 01, 2002 03:50PM
He raised his hand for about 2 seconds after he crossed the line, and then put it down again. Of course he didn't think he deserved the win.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 01, 2002 04:05PM
Actaully he raised it again after turn 2, there is grandstand thereand clearly both ferrari drivers raised there hands there

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 01, 2002 04:27PM
Posted by: chris
It was at least raised all the way down the main straight.

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 02, 2002 01:42AM
Posted by: Bruno_dc
In '89 it was Prost pushing Senna off the track. Senna eventually won the race, but was disqualified because he was pushed by the marshalls after the incident. Prost won the title by knocking off his teammate.

In '90 I think the main motivation for Senna's move was to get even with Prost for the year before. And Senna got the title he should've had in '89.
Date: June 02, 2002 03:54AM
In '89 it was Prost pushing Senna off the track

You could argue for hours about this one, but I do agree with you. Prost should not have turned in, and the point where he was turning, he was by no means heading for the apex. Having said that, Senna's move was ambitious to say the least.

In '90 I think the main motivation for Senna's move was to get even with Prost for the year before

Does that make it acceptable? Perhaps, in that case, Schumacher's motive at Jerez was revenge for Villeneuve's dangerous swerving at Suzuka, the previous race. Don't try and suggest that Senna took Prost out in 1990 for all the right reasons. You're the perfect example of a blatent Schumacher-hater, without justification.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 02, 2002 04:01AM
I have mixed views on 89.

Ok, Senna wasnt ahead when Prost was turning in, but like Alex said he was not going for the apex.

Its confusing really. Was ahaead, but going for Senna.

Seena move was ambitios but as we see, he was along side come the turn in point, so it would have worked if Prost played fair

90 is Sennas fault, no question, he did NOT have the right to do that, theres no reason to take out anther driver delibratly.

At least MS doen it on a slow corner, senna done it at 150mph

Date: June 03, 2002 08:22AM
Posted by: Bruno_dc
So maybe you can say that Senna should 've been the champ in '89 and Prost in '90 :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy