The 2014 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2014 Formula One Season
Date: November 12, 2013 04:20PM
Posted by: Nickv
I'd think so. It could be you're allowed to use an engine that has been improved after homologation during one of the in-season tests, if a manufacturer deems it valuable. The Sporting Regulations say:

Track testing shall be considered any track running time not part of an Event undertaken by a competitor entered in the Championship, using cars which conform substantially with the current Formula One Technical Regulations in addition to those from the previous or subsequent year.

The question is what 'substantially' is. Still, you wouldn't have any benefit from it during a season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 04:22PM by Nickv.
Date: November 12, 2013 06:40PM
Posted by: IWE
Oh how lovely..

Formula 1 teams are concerned that the 2014 technical regulations are forcing them into 'ugly' designs with hooked nose sections, as shown by this AUTOSPORT image.

The rules for next season require a high chassis of 525mm and a low nose tip at 185mm.

But the regulations only demand a relatively small nose tip cross-section, and teams will want to minimise the width of this area to improve air flow under the chassis.

That raises the prospect of slender, drooping nose tip extensions to meet minimum rules requirements for this section, protruding from a higher, more bulky, section that will pass crash tests and fit teams' aerodynamic needs.

While not all teams are believed to be heading down this design route, it is understood that several leading outfits believe it is the best solution.

AUTOSPORT understands that some senior Formula 1 technical personnel have already called for changes to improve aesthetics, but this was not successful due to a lack of agreement on the need to do something.

An FIA technical directive has also been issued ruling out an alternative nose solution that was put forward with a request for clarification.

Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey and McLaren sporting director Sam Michael have admitted that the 2014 cars are likely to be "ugly" due to the front impact structure.

"The low nose is not a problem," Michael explained.

"The problem is the vagaries in the way you get through the crash test - and the teams will mostly be going down one solution.

"It is not because of the chassis height."

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 06:43PM by IWE.
Date: November 12, 2013 06:54PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Which clown wrote next season's regulations?? (N)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: November 12, 2013 09:13PM
Posted by: thestig88
looks like a limp d**k!
Date: November 12, 2013 10:30PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
[wp.me]

Looks like Robert Kubica's chances of a return to F1 are pretty much over now.

Even he has admitted that it'd be nearly impossible for him to ever race a single-seater again.

A huge shame as he was a real talent, and was as good as anyone back before his accident.

His performances in 2010 on the bumblebee coloured Renault were a real sight to behold. He practically single handedly saved the Enstone team with his performances that year.

He will be an absolute credit to the WRC though. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does at Rally GB in a WRC spec car.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: November 12, 2013 11:44PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Just bring back early 90's noses ;)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: November 13, 2013 07:42PM
Posted by: Frantic
Perez Out of McLaren for 2014 now officially confirmed

Magnussen in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2013 07:43PM by Frantic.
Date: November 13, 2013 07:52PM
Whitmatsh has added his comments. [wp.me]

Sort of a case of 'Thanks, but no thanks'

Poor old Sergio...

Date: November 13, 2013 08:55PM
Posted by: EC83
thestig88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> looks like a limp d**k!

It looks like something out of A Clockwork Orange.

Date: November 13, 2013 09:14PM
Posted by: IWE

(N)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: November 13, 2013 09:52PM
F1 2014?

Re: The 2014 Formula eOne Season
Date: November 13, 2013 10:04PM
Posted by: elcorredor
I don't think ricciardo is a good deal for red bull for the next season.another driver with more skills can go along with vettel and do a great job for red bull.And even,can challenge vettel.isn't it?.
Date: November 13, 2013 10:05PM
Posted by: Adman1138
IWE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> (N)

Pretty good sponsorship opportunity for durex there
Date: November 13, 2013 10:13PM
Posted by: elcorredor
I don't think ricciardo is a good deal for red bull.another driver with more skills can go along with vettel and do a great job for red bull and even,can challenge vettel.isn't it?
Date: November 14, 2013 11:58AM
Posted by: J i m
Maldonaldo "happy to leave Williams"

In which case Williams must be simply delighted.

I think this guy is close to delusional in many aspects, almost blissfully oblivious to the fact that effectively the only reason he is in F1 in the first place is that Williams desperately needed the silly money that he brought from PDVSA. They had a far more promising driver lineup before his appointment and motorsport society widely (and correctly) ridiculed his appointment over Hulkenberg.

Granted the Williams form has been pathetically poor and they have been consistently sliding into oblivion for many years now. But money excepted in what way did Maldonaldo give more to Williams than they did to him? One solitary good result (albeit a brilliant one) admist a sea of wasted opportunities, stupidity, fines and broken carbon fibre does not a world champion make.

It'll be a real shame if he lands at either Lotus, Force India or Sauber in favour of a more talented driver. And I'd quite laugh if...

Lotus said "You know what? Heikki did such a good job for us at Austin and Interlagos that we decided to give him the 2014 contract as well as he comes cheap".
Force India said "Sorry pal, taking the Hulk back is too good an opportunity to miss."
And Sauber said "Mr Slim is paying us generously to take Checo back"

Then'd he'd be flashing his PDVSA cheque towards Caterham and Marussia in exchange for a car probably even less competitive than the one he was so desperate to escape.

Unfortuately for F1 though, either Lotus, Force India or Sauber are likely to lunge for his money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 12:00PM by J i m.
Date: November 14, 2013 12:21PM
Due to financial models that all of the private teams are running on, Maldonado will almost certainly be snapped up.

That PDVSA money is far too juicy to ignore.

I say let him go to Lotus.

I think the team is set to decline once again anyway, all of its best assets, other than Grosjean (Didn't think I'd ever be writing that) have been pinched by other teams, in a similar way to what happened post 1995 and post 2006.

Date: November 14, 2013 02:58PM
Magnussen at McLaren is now official. And by official I mean that McLaren themselves have now confirmed and announced it not just half of the F1 media being in a competition to preempt actual news.

Date: November 14, 2013 05:57PM
Yep, good move for McLaren I suspect.

Date: November 14, 2013 06:36PM
Posted by: madotter
Drivers updated!
Date: November 15, 2013 12:58PM
Good work, the remaining silly season is beginning to show more of a firm picture as well.

Nico Hulkenberg

Turned down the chance to sub for Raikkonen and it is rumored that Ferrari settled his salary on behalf of Sauber by way of political pressure to prevent him from accepting the offer. Ferrari don't want to lose out to Lotus in the constructors championship after-all. Furthermore Hulkenberg himself now doubts that the Lotus deal for 2014 is realistic with the continuing doubts about the quantum investment threatening to be Prince Malik and t-minus at Arrows all over again.

His options would now appear two fold, remain at Sauber and hope that their Russian investors hold true... or to inflate Eddie Jordan's already overly big ego by returning to Force India. The latter looks most likely since Hulkenberg seems to be hinting at leaving Sauber.

Pastor Maldonaldo

Considered by most (including Hulkenberg) to be the favorite to land the Lotus drive assuming that PDVSA (seemingly confirmed as no longer in the Williams sponsor portfolio) are still in full support of the blue moon winner. And that might not seem quite the full gone conclusion if the political rumblings in Venezuela have anything to do with it. He himself seems confident and insists that not only does he know where he'll be driving in 2014 he also has "options".

Heikki Kovalainen

Not auditioning for the 2014 Lotus drive, little point to when Maldonaldo's money will do the talking but remains deep in negotiations about a full time return to Caterham.

Sergio Perez

Somewhat left hanging by McLaren, is a late starter in posturing for the remains drives. Will Carlos Slim assist him? Who knows? But I would be surprised if he's topping any shortlists and it's doubtful that Telemex would pay as much as PDVSA. He's staring F1 execution in the face, could be forced into sabbatical and may well be better off turning his attentions to Indy.

The rest...

Paul di Resta doesn't seem to have many F1 options outside of hoping that if the Hulk returns to Force India then they boot Sutil out again, which might be unlikely since Sutil brings in money. Past that? Return to DTM? Move to endurance racing? A phone call to Chip Ganassi?

Esteban Guitereze, very much dependant on Sauber being forced out of options.

Romain Grosjean, Safe at Lotus as long as Quantum don't bankrupt them...

Max Chilton, supposedly has more pocket money to spend, Marussia most likely customer.

Charles Pic & Geido van der Garde... dependant on Caterham chosing money over Kovalainen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy