The 2014 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2014 Formula One Season
Date: October 29, 2013 12:25AM
Posted by: gav
Why would McLaren return to a sponsor's livery? It has no connection with Honda, barring the few years they were together.

Honda might want a white-based livery, while I hope McLaren plump for their orange heritage (even if the first McLaren cars weren't orange at all, it soon became Bruce's stock colour).
Date: October 29, 2013 10:50AM
Posted by: J i m
Yeah, as much as I loved the Marlboro McLaren cars, this simply isn't going to happen for so many reasons. Besides which it always looked far better on the older low nose style of cars anyway.

To be honest, I doubt that McLaren are going to drastically change the current branding scheme as they seem to operate on the basis that partners buy into their brand and not the other way around.

Date: October 29, 2013 12:42PM
Posted by: Frantic
isnt Telmex confirmed as their title sponsor for 2014 onwards? (tough i dont think McLaren will adopt a light-blue and white scheme)

Withmarsh said in some ocassion that if they found some sponsor that liked orange it could be back. It would add some color to the grid

Date: October 29, 2013 01:51PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Frantic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> isnt Telmex confirmed as their title sponsor for
> 2014 onwards?

No.

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: October 29, 2013 03:36PM
The Orange livery theory has more credit to it though as it is the original colors and brand of the McLaren team. It is part of their heritage which they remain proud of as they have displayed in the past by occasionally painting the cars orange for testing.

As iconic as the Marlboro livery is, and as long reaching as it's association with McLaren was it is still not a McLaren brand but a Philip Morris one. And it also related to several other teams as well including Penske in Indy Cars and numerous teams in lower categories.

Date: October 29, 2013 04:16PM
Posted by: Isaint
Brawn to leave Mercedes after season

[www.gpupdate.net]

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 04:17PM by Isaint.
Date: October 29, 2013 04:46PM
Saw that on the BBC earlier, but it sounds like an Eddie Jordan special, with the lack of quotes and confirmation. It's fairly obvious he's going to leave sometime soon anyway, with the rumours a couple of months back of him purchasing Toto Wolff's shares in the Williams team.

I'd have just bought Wolff's wife to be honest. Much more fun.

J i m
And it also related to several other teams as well including Penske in Indy Cars and numerous teams in lower categories.

Not least of course Alfa in Formula 1 itself (though I suppose you could argue they were in a lower formula ;)
Date: October 29, 2013 06:52PM
Maldo to leave Williams (apparently) [www.crash.net]

GPGSL -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 06:53PM by smoglessbutton4.
Date: October 29, 2013 10:27PM
Posted by: n00binio
news about maldonado on a site called crash.net. oh the irony... ;)

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: October 30, 2013 11:52AM
It's looking increasingly likely that Maldonado is going to secure a release from Williams and obviously he'd be hoping to take PDVSA backing with him to Lotus. I hope Lotus secure their Quantum deal to ease their way to signing Hulkenberg instead. I envisage a line-up of Hulkenberg and Grosjean as being pretty strong with both now being capable pair of hands to bring in points and the odd big result when the car performance allows.

That would leave Maldonaldo either wafting his notes in the direction of Force India and Sauber, sticking with Williams or leaving F1 in a hissy fit. If Maldonaldo does manage to extricate himself from Williams then it's almost inevitable that his replacement will be Brazilian due to the political support from Bernie Ecclestone which will ease the way for some Brazilian investors. The favorite seems to be Massa, and in fairness there's few viable alternatives unless they want to welcome back the B00bens.

It seems all but confirmed now that Brawn is leaving Mercedes which is kind of funny that the team which is on a mission to employ every single technical director in F1 is now set to lose one of the best technical directors off all time. His option reportedly include heading Honda's return with McLaren, buying off Toto's stake in Williams or going fishing.

Personally I'd welcome his involvement at Williams, but seeing how he'd want to be absolute charge it would also be quite unlikely as Williams is unlikely to relinquish overall responsibility for his team. Although getting Brawn there in a kind of Patrick Head role and teamed up with Pat Symonds does sound like a decent recipe for rebuilding Williams a technical strength in depth which it has all but lost.

Date: October 31, 2013 03:03AM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd have just bought Wolff's wife to be honest.
> Much more fun.

+1. Now that would be a doable deal. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 05:47AM by EC83.
Date: October 31, 2013 02:31PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
The worst looks about to come. As far as the rumours go, Hulkenberg's out of a seat for 2014.

- Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and Toro Rosso are all signed up.
- It seems that Lotus can't finalise their Quantum tie-up and therefore will take on Maldonado. Grosjean's pretty much got a deal in the bag too.
- McLaren will probably hold onto Perez
- Force India look set to keep Sutil, and Chilton has been linked with the second seat.
- Sauber can't afford to keep him; it appears the lineup will be Petrov or Sirotkin alongside Gutierrez
- Williams will probably pursue a Massa/Bottas lineup.
- Caterham have Pic under contract and will probably retain van der Garde
- Marussia have Bianchi contracted for next year, and probably will either retain Chilton or pick up Magnussen

This is so messed up.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 31, 2013 03:11PM
If Chilton gets that FI and Hulk is out of a seat next year... hot
(N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) (N)

GPGSL -
Date: October 31, 2013 04:39PM
If Hulkenberg finds himself without a F1 drive going into 2014 either through the likes of Maldonaldo and Chilton having more money or the ridiculous refusal to increase the minimum weight limit it would be a travesty. It'd be the biggest waste of driving talent in recent memory.

I fully accept that sponsored drivers have always been (and always will be) a part of F1, but if Chilton's pocket money pushes the likes of Hulkenberg and Di Resta out of F1 it will be extremely irritating.

Date: October 31, 2013 06:58PM
Rumor has it that Massas's signed a five year deal with Williams and that Maldo's signed for Lotus

- Massa... This was predictable, and I say it's nice purely as I like Massa, but five years? I have to question why that ling when his F1 career is almost at an end...

-Maldomoneydo... NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GPGSL -
Date: October 31, 2013 07:49PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
If I were Hulk, I'd drive that Sauber for free.
Date: October 31, 2013 09:32PM
Massa going to Williams seems imminently likely. But I would be staggered if it were a five year at this stage in his career unless it is backed by a highly lucrative sponsorship agreement. Without wishing to come across as negative but Massa is a driver with something to prove, ever since his return after his accident he's lacked consistency and hasn't taken a pole or win and only has a handful of podiums to show for his time as Alonso's team-mate.

Maybe a new team in which he'd be the experienced driver would do him a world of good and revitalise him but in my view at this point of time, when he appears to be on the downward part of his curve of potential a five year deal is bonkers.

Date: October 31, 2013 10:31PM
Massa's deal will be with guaranteed sponsorship over that time and, and I will say this with some certainty, have performance-related clauses in it. Likewise, he'll have the similar clauses in his, just in case Williams end up challenging Caterham and Marussia.

I still think he's a good driver, albeit even if he'd have won the title in 2008, he'd never elevate himself above "good", though that's something I level at Button too, and he seems to be universally loved (though of course he's a very different driver, in every way, to Felipe).

I have to say, I'm starting to feel Williams are doing something about their position. We'll see if last year's restructuring changes philosophies with next years car (and they aren't just obsessed with having a microscopic arse, as they have been for the past few years - all good, as Red Bull prove, but the rest of the car has to feed that butt well, and it hasn't). If they can woo Ross Brawn things will start to snowball over the coming years. I can see a Honda deal in the offing too. I'm not a fan of Valery though - he's not shown anything more than the inconsistent Maldonado yet - out-qualified too often and his race craft has left quite a lot to be desired - I've seen nothing to convince me he's more than a mid-field runner at best... I wonder if Massa and Bernie are bringing in enough money to entice Williams to go back for Hulkenberg...?
Date: October 31, 2013 11:25PM
Hulk to Williams, you heard it here first (Y)

GPGSL -
Date: November 01, 2013 12:11AM
If Williams could afford to take Hulkenberg back it would be a massive bonus and it'd be something to really help moral because the engineers and mechanics would know that he'd drag his car to decent results. But I doubt that it will happen to be honest.

It'd be a tiny bit harsh to judge Bottas to severely, in fairness he's had a right pig of a car which is as slow as it is ilhandling. Although I do concede that his race craft is a major weakness in him at the moment. I've noticed that he usually loses places in the first few corners whilst his team-mate is busy gaining first lap track position. He also loses too much time in traffic when he's being overtaken by faster cars and sometimes runs too long on tyres past their peak. In clear air he's reasonably quick and consistent but he loses too much time elsewhere which hampers his strategy. I think there's a chance he'll develop well enough with a more respectable car but even if he doesn't get one he still needs to show a bit more savvy in traffic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy