Re: The 2014 Formula One Season
Date: September 25, 2013 01:20PM
Posted by: J i m
thestig88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Noticed people have stopped mentioning Robert
> Kubica, looks like its not going to happen (an F1
> return for him)

Well he's not ready anyway is he? But the longer he's out the less likely he's likely to return because technology moves on rendering his experience less valuable and with a smaller window of performance potential.

Massa might luck into some money because F1 needs a Brazilian to pander to the South American market which is quite significant to F1. There's also talk of Renault becoming more involved with Enstone "Lotus" again with the team branding reverting to Renault and providing some "works" support again.

I think some teams have a difficult choice to make. Do they want a driver who brings a ready written cheque, or a driver who'll bring in the prize money by consistently getting results. If it's the latter then Hulkenberg is their man. His potential is massive.

Date: October 17, 2013 02:59PM
So what drivers are currently being talked (or shouted about) the most in the silly season paddock?

Nico Hulkenberg
Currently starring in a midfield Sauber, he now seems to the key to the remaining activity in the driver market. "Lotus" want him and that would probably be the most attractive proposition for him as well just so long as they can afford him over a funded driver. Sauber would probably want to retain him but again that's probably more dependent on their Russian investors handing over enough cas to keep the budget healthy ostwise some Mexican dollars may well hand the maturing Gutiereze a second season. Eddie Jordan insists that the Hulk is definitely returning to Force India, and there is little doubt that they'd welcome back with open arms although even they might have to stoop to a driver with a fatter wallet instead.

Jenson Button
Supposedly has a McLaren contracted all done and dusted for 2014 and noises continue to be made suggesting that he'll receive another long term deal to take them through the transitional phase from Mercedes to Honda power. It certainly seems most likely that Button will remain part of the McLaren furniture for the foreseeable future but he also holds a good reputation throughout the paddock with some idle rumors suggesting that Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes would all be interested in his services in the right circumstances.

Felipe Massa
Felipe baby is so desperate to remain in F1 (for a "top" team) that he's even taken to ignoring the "Fernando is faster than you" instructions. His first choice is Lotus since they are likely to build the best car still available for 2014, but their first choice is Hulkenberg given that they get the funding and permission to seal the deal. Bernie Ecclestone is keen for keep at least one Brazilian on the grid next year though and might be whispering in the ears of Brazilian investors to make that so. Massa could at least be on the "maybe list" for the likes of Force India, Sauber and Williams.

Pastor Maldonaldo
Supposedly in the midst of a hissy fit and trying to extricate himself from Williams (all year according to Eddie Jordan). Is tired of having a woefully competitive car and is casting his line for a better one. He has been throwing bis bait (aka PDVSA) towards Lotus it seems but there are doubts to how likely a proposition that is given that PDVSA seem as tied to Williams as much as they are to Maldonaldo and the instigator of the original sponsorship package his since met his maker. He may be relying on his headline result of last year to prove that he's a driver of wining calibre which he is if the wind blows in his direction but he's also a driver who squanders far too many opportunities.

Kevin Magnusssen
On his way to sealing the Formula Renault 3.5 honours, McLaren are desperate to shoehorn him in a F1 race seat, any F1 race seat (except a McLaren it seems). He is shortlisted by Marussia who happen to have technical support from McLaren.. so if they can have a Ferrari backed driver (Bianchi) to sweeten the engine suppliers, why not a McLaren backed driver too? That, or Max Chilton could always go back to daddy for some more pocket money although in fairness he's been far from the "Prince of fail" I expected him to be if a little uninspiring all the same.

The others;
Sergio Perez is being kept hanging by McLaren, but he'll probably be retained.
Caterham are procrastinating over whether to promote Hekki Kovalainen back to race driver or not.
Bottas needs another season at Williams but also a drastically better car.
Felix da Costa is supposedy the favourite to be thrown into the Toro Rosso arena.
Rubens Barrichello is fantasying about making a comeback... it's not going to happen.
If Sam Bird takes the GP2 title, he'll need a big helping hand from Mercedes (cutting a deal with Williams could be an option) to step up to F1. It won't be forthcoming and expect to see him in the DTM instead.
James Calado seems likely to be at least a reserve and Friday driver for Force India, possibly more if either Sutil or di Resta are dropped.
If Felipe Nasr can find some backing he could become Bernie's token Brazilian driver.

Date: October 17, 2013 03:16PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
If I was Vijay Mallya, I'd go for a Magnussen/Massa lineup. As Force India have some semblance of a technical tie-up with McLaren, I'd take Magnussen to do Woking's finest a favour. Then, with the rumoured Brazilian reals that Felipe appears to have in his back pocket, I'd grab Massa to help direct the team with technical feedback and to give Jan's lad a bit of guidance.

But that's probably why I don't run an F1 team. Yet.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 17, 2013 03:30PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Every single Force India reserve since 2009 has been promoted to a race seat - Liuzzi, di Resta, Hulkenberg (all at FI) and Bianchi (at Marussia). Based purely on that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Calado in a race seat in the next year or two.

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: October 17, 2013 04:26PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
That's all well and good, but if he doesn't perform in GP2 then I can't see it happening.

Remember, the four drivers you've mentioned all had some form of credibility beforehand.

Liuzzi had been decent enough at STR and Force India were pretty much forced to promote him as Fisi had scampered off to Ferrari.

Di Resta had won the DTM championship the preceding year, while Hulk had blitzed to the GP2 championship in 2009 and had impressed in 2010 with Williams.

Then Bianchi has manged to come third in GP2 and then finish as the runnerup in FR3.5.

Calado impressed massively at the start of last year, but since then has been massively overshadowed by the other top guys in the series, especially Sam Bird. Many actually thought Calado would be odds on to win the GP2 championship this year, but he fluffed it over the first few weekends. Unless he wins it next season then I think he can wave goodbye to F1.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: October 18, 2013 02:01AM
Posted by: EC83
I'd like to see Rubens make a comeback, and don't think it's an impossibility either - if Pedro de la Rosa could make a comeback as recently as a couple of years ago Rubens can definitely make a comeback in 2014. If Sauber go ahead with putting Sergey in the car, they'll want an experienced and reliable teammate for him - Rubens would be perfect for that.

Hulk must be favourite to get Kimi's drive, and I think if he does he'll naturally develop into the Lotus team leader very quickly.

Date: October 20, 2013 02:03AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
This could be something of a potential spanner in the works. [motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com]

In short, Maldonado might not be such an attractive driver if this becomes true, and having heard of anger from the Williams team after Pastor's rash move on Valtteri Bottas during the Japanese Grand Prix then he could be out of a drive.

Sure, this hasn't been confirmed yet, but what can Williams do if this emerges to be true? Well, there's been rumours of Giedo van der Garde's father-in-law wanting to buy out Toto Wolff's share in the Grove outfit, and there's also talks of Brazilian companies throwing their weight behind the two Felipes (Nasr and Massa).

The plot thickens...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 20, 2013 02:11PM
It's been noted that Maldonaldo has been looking for a way out of his contract all year anyway. Losing the PDVSA money would be a blow for Williams but maybe also a blessing in disguise. Last year when actually given a competitive car Maldonaldo squandered the majority of it's potential through accidents, collisions and penalties and thereby cost the team a significant amount of potential prize money.

More often than not he fails to race with his head, is prone to rash sometimes desperate moves when racing wheel to wheel and is generally inconsistent. I don't think he'd be a big loss to the team as a driver.

But the mooted replacements aren't exactly enticing either. Massa? Has never recaptured his 08/09 form and consistently fails to extract the most from his car during races. Nasr? Rookie, yet to win a GP2 race against a generally average field of talent, is consistent but also prone to overly optimistic overtaking attempts. Van der Garde? Only really in F1 at all because he had the right money at the right time to buy a seat otherwise is merely a moderately competent pay driver.

Personally... I'd actually take Barrichello back over those three, he's kept himself fit, race sharp, has bucketfuls of experience, is consistent and fulfils the Ecclestone requirement of being Brazilian. Might be attractive to Petrobras who are mooted to be looking to return with Williams.

Other than that I'd propose a concessionary deal with new engine suppliers Mercedes to put Sam Bird in the car, or consider Adrian Sutil if he finds himself out of Force India again as he tends to come with some backing as is also fairly reliable and consistent.

Of course this all purely speculative and actually the biggest issue anyway is the car's lack of competitiveness.

Date: October 20, 2013 03:50PM
Posted by: IWE
"So, @Lotus_F1Team to become @Quantum_F1 ?
Also, look who they're following driverwise, only a certain @RGrosjean and @NicoHulkenberg ...

Retweeted by Quantum Motorsports "

[twitter.com]

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: October 20, 2013 05:56PM
Oh please.. Do it properly. Call the team "Project Quantum Leap" with Sam Becket and Al Calavicci as drivers.

Date: October 20, 2013 11:11PM
Posted by: n00binio
just popping in to say that actually a quantum leap is the smallest possible change of state.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: October 21, 2013 10:23AM
In response to Jim, we all know what happened with Hulkenberg - I'd think Rubens would be a good key to unlock Bottas' potential ;)

GPGSL -
Date: October 21, 2013 11:44AM
Barrichello is definitely a very good driver to have as team-mate for any rookie with his depth of experience, however I believe that Hulkenberg's potential form would have been realised eventually with out him ;)

It's been a bit of a struggle for Bottas this year. I think it was expected that he would "stand out" and be clear rookie of the year. The car simply isn't up to it in fairness but he's also had too many poor starts or first laps which have put him behind a Caterham or two further hindering his results. There's a general trend that Maldonaldo is stronger in pretty much every area at the moment, but look a little closer and we can see that Bottas has out-qualified him far more often than Bruno did and that his race pace is also comparable but it's his race craft which is losing him time in races which is ironic when you consider that Maldonaldo's idea of race craft is to chuck his car at others or indeed off the track completely.

I think the positives of Bottas this season is that he has kept the car on the track when Maldonaldo hasn't, he's out qualified him at some of the more challenging circuits and he took advantage of the one opportunity so far this year to shine by putting his car 3rd on the grid at Montreal. He's a little incomplete at the moment but the promise is there.

Date: October 21, 2013 02:52PM
Rubens actually has a great track record with his teammates; every post-MS teammate he's had has gone on to blossom as a driver. (Even Maldonado won a race!)
He'd definitely be a positive influence in any team if he returns.

Date: October 21, 2013 07:02PM
Posted by: flat tyre
EC83 Wrote:
> every post-MS teammate he's had has
> gone on to blossom as a driver.

Why post-MS? You mean Michael Schumacher didn't blossom as a driver? ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: October 21, 2013 10:00PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
[www.autosport.com]

This is a bit of a surprise. Kvyat in at Toro Rosso for 2014. Raises questions about Felix da Costa's future. What a difference a year has made for him.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: October 21, 2013 10:32PM
Agreed there.

GPGSL -
Date: October 21, 2013 11:24PM
flat tyre Wrote:
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > every post-MS teammate he's had has
> > gone on to blossom as a driver.
>
> Why post-MS? You mean Michael Schumacher didn't
> blossom as a driver? ;)

LOL, now you mention it, the arrival of Rubens in the team did coincide with the start of the most successful period in Ferrari's history and with the start of MS's golden streak, so I guess he kinda did. ;)

Date: October 21, 2013 11:40PM
Conclusions from today...
- Whoever Rubens' teamies are happen to kick ass
- Red Bull have burned da Costa real bad

(The new kid may be young and Russian, like a certain Sauber protege, but has at least got a bit of talent (Y) )

GPGSL -
Date: October 21, 2013 11:49PM
I think it's great to see a new wave of young drivers from a new country coming into the sport - and they must be good if they're having this much invested in them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy