The 2013 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2013 Formula One Season
Date: January 23, 2013 04:16PM
Posted by: J i m
The difference between Ferrari and Mercedes is that Ferrari is a racing team which makes cars on the side but the company was started purely as and for racing. Mercedes is an automotive company who sometimes desire to use racing to showcase their brand and/or technology.

Yes, McLaren are effectively a customer team now, but as customer teams go they're still fairly well off.

At the moment we only really have two "works" teams. And neither are the reigning champions.

Date: January 23, 2013 08:12PM
Posted by: gav
marcl
I meant Merc Gav not Mclaren.

Ah apologies. I guess I should of twigged when you mentioned DDRS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 08:12PM by gav.
Date: January 23, 2013 08:33PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Really wish Red Bull would change their colour scheme, it's been the same for far too long. That damned yellow nose reminds me of 1996-1997 Sauber before Credit Suisse dipped it white.

My old worry about Mclaren next year is that Button's "bad days" really do limit what he can achieve on a weekend. It remains to be seen what Perez will be like. I am suspicious of how good a car that Sauber may have been, was it flattering him?
Date: January 23, 2013 11:17PM
loque
It remains to be seen what Perez will be like. I am suspicious of how good a car that Sauber may have been, was it flattering him?

This was something I suggested a couple of times last season, but was generally dismissed. I do feel that Sauber was an excellent car, and at one point early in the season I suggested Alonso might well have still been leading the championship early on had he been in it, rather than what was at that point a still poor Ferrari.

Is Perez good? Yes. Is he a potential champion? Probably. Is he in the top tier of F1 drivers? No. And either Ferrari knew that, or they're led by utter numpties (very possibly both).

I get the feeling he's similar to Button/Alesi/Hill. He's not an out-and-out world beater, but given a certain set of circumstances (from which I feel Button himself can potentially benefit from this season) I think he could be a championship winner. I don't think he'll be a regular challenger though.
Date: January 24, 2013 09:15PM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > It remains to be seen what Perez will be like. I
> am suspicious of how good a car that Sauber may
> have been, was it flattering him?
>
>
> This was something I suggested a couple of times
> last season, but was generally dismissed. I do
> feel that Sauber was an excellent car, and at one
> point early in the season I suggested Alonso might
> well have still been leading the championship
> early on had he been in it, rather than what was
> at that point a still poor Ferrari.
>
> Is Perez good? Yes. Is he a potential champion?
> Probably. Is he in the top tier of F1 drivers? No.
> And either Ferrari knew that, or they're led by
> utter numpties (very possibly both).
>
> I get the feeling he's similar to
> Button/Alesi/Hill. He's not an out-and-out world
> beater, but given a certain set of circumstances
> (from which I feel Button himself can potentially
> benefit from this season) I think he could be a
> championship winner. I don't think he'll be a
> regular challenger though.

Nailed it.

Ferrari knew him, knew how good he was. If he was that good they would have had him in their car. It's as simple as that IMO.

They let Mclaren have him too easily for him to be a star. Then again, could be wrong. We will see.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 25, 2013 01:35AM
Posted by: danm
I'm still a believer in Maldonado being a genuine top talent who will come good.

If he can nail in the consistency of some of his drives, and polishes off his ability to ruin a great weekend with a mistake at the 11th hour, he will shine.

They say a proper talent is seen at true driver circuits - Monaco, Spa, Monza, Silverstone...

Just check his previous motorsport form at those. Not exactly a bad record with a more level field compared to what you can showcase in modern F1.

Probably the ONLY one here rooting for the guy, but deserves his seat.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 25, 2013 07:12AM
danm
Probably the ONLY one here rooting for the guy, but deserves his seat.

Nah, I hope he comes good. The question has always been 'how many chances do you give him?', but it's clear he's got speed... you just wonder where it goes for half a dozen weekends at a time.
Date: January 25, 2013 08:48AM
Posted by: marcl
He reminds me of Alesi, berger and some others.

The speed is there but does not know when to give up a place or when not to attack. He really must sort this out this year as he cost Williams a lot of points last year.
Date: January 25, 2013 12:40PM
Posted by: danm
I do see him in the same Alesi mould. Dangerously fast, but not always there.

Regular points this year I expect. Top 6 challenger.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 25, 2013 01:07PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
It all depends on how the Williams turns out, for all we know it was the 4th quickest car last year. It certainly seemed up there on occasions.

If it is a shitbox, then well I think we will see Pastor throwing it into people and the scenery.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: January 25, 2013 04:15PM
Posted by: marcl
I think the Williams last year was better than the Sauber and Merc but both drivers wasted it. I also think it was a mistake not to give Bruno the whole race weekend, by race time he was near enough lapping the same time as his team mate.
Date: January 25, 2013 04:32PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I agree completely mate.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: January 25, 2013 04:55PM
The Williams was a neat little car last year, it carried all of the clever ideas that they had on the 2011 car lost most of the bad bits. But it was as people pointed out wasted by the drivers and the odd reliability problem.

The question is for 2013... With some key figures having again left the team Gillian, Wollf etc can they keep the relative stability of 2012 and build upon it. Can they build upon the potential.

Appointing Bottas to a race seat shows they mean business, because he is likely to quickly develop in at the very least a safe pair of hands. I see him slotting into the Hulkenberg, Di Resta group of talent pretty much from the off.

But it does still seem like there are some missing ingredients at Williams and until they get that consistently sorted then they're not going to pose a serious threat overall. Going by the pace the car showed last year they really ought to have been hanging on the Lotus in the constructors championship. But far from it.

My fear is tat there will be a few but flashes of inspiration.. A front row or two.. Maybe a handful of podiums. But a heck of lot more wasted opportunities.

Date: January 25, 2013 11:07PM
Posted by: ferrariman
First Suzi Perry interview of the year - do i detect some nerves?

[www.bbc.co.uk]
Date: January 26, 2013 05:08PM
Not classic modern BBC Grand Prix coverage perhaps, but give her until the season coverage actually starts to settle into the role.

Date: January 26, 2013 07:15PM
Posted by: EC83
The coverage of the opening races will be recorded too, so she'll have plenty of time to settle in gradually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 07:16PM by EC83.
Date: January 27, 2013 04:34PM
Posted by: flat tyre
She was always pretty decent with the MotoGP coverage, so I think she'll be fine with a bit of time. I can see her fitting in with EJ and DC really well. She's got the same sense of humour as Eddie, and I bet DC will work his charm like he did with Louise Goodman ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: January 27, 2013 06:41PM
Posted by: EC83
I'll take your word for it on the senses of humour thing, can't say I'd noticed :P
Hope DC flirts with her like hell - he'd be doing it for others too who won't be fortunate enough to be there ;)

PS - My posts about her make me look like a randy 15 year old don't they?

The 2013 Formula One Season
Date: January 28, 2013 08:23AM
Posted by: alexf1man
Some F1 news:

Lotus to launch their car in just under 12 hours time (19:15 UK Time)*
McLaren to launch on Thursday*
Ferrari has a laminate on their car to "hide a stepped nose" *

* Online coverage of the launch ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 08:23AM by alexf1man.
Date: January 28, 2013 12:06PM
Posted by: Isaint
Mercedes are just making moves like some trapped player on a Chess-board to be honest.
The people that they are hiring are not coming from any team that has won the W.D.C in the last 4years or more? But from teams that have all had their own problems.
Mercedes are still trying to learn technically and now with new members on board thay have the added problem of every body 'gelling' as one.
This will probably be Brawns last season .... his era is over. In regards to the re-coupling of Brawn & Schumacher ..... I think that was the only mistake Schumacher made ..... electing to make a come-back with
Mercedes.
There is no mistake in trying to achieve, only in not trying at all. Also the field is only level when every one's equipment/Team, performs the same otherwise Hamilton would be World Champion now. Indeed Shumachers demise seems to be because of the very same reason that Hamilton has now left a top performing team to go to a lesser performing team because of faliure.
Let's wait until Hamilton has completed a season at Mercedes before we judge exactly how bad Shumie was?
This year will in all probability be a little bit of a dead-end, as far as innovation is concerned with every teams mind firmly fixed on the 2014 engine changes.
In light of this I can not see Mercedes making any prolific gains .... basically they are still where they were when they came back into the sport 3 years ago.
As far as Hamilton is concerned, why oh why do we have to listen to this long playing record .... if the car/team, is not there don't expect the driver to perform miracles.
Hamilton can drive quickly but he can not control a lose wheel nut, an engine blow-out or a sloppy pitstop. He will not have any influence over reliability issues or .... as everyone is saying,
like at Mclaren 'bad luck'.
If he wins races it will be because of adverse circumstances that puts the rest of the top players out of sync, like rain or snow ... or even an avalanche.
There won't like I said, be any miracles or any Senna-esque rallies to the flag because there was only one Senna and he has sadly shuffled of this mortal coil.

As the season progessess I expect the demeanor of Hamilton to change quiet quickly from one of expectancy to 'Oh @#$%&!' What have I done ......

I'm never wrong. I thought I was once ..... but I was wrong ......;)

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 12:14PM by Isaint.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy