Posted by madotter 
Re: 2012 British Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: July 06, 2012 04:39PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Carlitox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Fuji 2007, shall I put a better example?
>
> Officially the rules state that the most likely
> reason for a race to be stopped is that the
> Medical Helicopter is unable to land in and/or
> take off from the track. And I hardly think that
> the thing could even move during that race. The
> only thing I reckon that could happen is an
> Adelaide 91-like race.

You really don't know how much rain we had last week do you, or how much we're now expecting? Or how @#$%& the drainage is?

Fuji is built where they expect a lot of rain and have the infrastructure to deal with it, Silverstone isn't.
Date: July 06, 2012 05:51PM
Posted by: Carlitox
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Carlitox Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> >
> > Fuji 2007, shall I put a better example?
> >
> > Officially the rules state that the most likely
> > reason for a race to be stopped is that the
> > Medical Helicopter is unable to land in and/or
> > take off from the track. And I hardly think
> that
> > the thing could even move during that race. The
> > only thing I reckon that could happen is an
> > Adelaide 91-like race.
>
> You really don't know how much rain we had last
> week do you, or how much we're now expecting? Or
> how @#$%& the drainage is?
>
> Fuji is built where they expect a lot of rain and
> have the infrastructure to deal with it,
> Silverstone isn't.

No, of course I don't know, but AFAIK British weather is known for being unpredictable, and wet GPs happen a lot there. When they built the Arena Complex I thought they had improved the drainage, now I see that that has not happened.

My general point was, to cancel a race now would be chaos for Bernie and the FOM gang. Especially in such a place with such a demand. I'd love to see, for the sake of the drivers, that the races could be moved in the event of a monsoon, like IndyCar did in Brazil last year. But the logistic chaos would be huge.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
The problem with the rain is that we are seeing rainfall all over the country that noone predicted, and like nothing we have had in recent years. Yes we tend to be a wet country, but this is a whole new level. Even if the venue could be moved, where too? To get away from the rain your going to have to leave the country, at the end of the day its atrocious all round.

Im intrigued at what they discussed on BBC in FP2, the idea of taking a set of wets away from the next race in Hockenheim and using them here as they are only 45 minutes away. Can't imagine the FIA will want that lol.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: July 06, 2012 07:21PM
Yeah Carlitox it's been horrendous :( and the drainage to the actual asphalt seems fine but that will only work while the land around it has room for any more water and soon, it won't.
Date: July 06, 2012 08:17PM
Posted by: flat tyre
For anyone who doesn't live in the UK this is what it's been like [youtu.be]

Can't see a race happening at all if it's that bad again, but it seems to have eased off in the last few days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: July 06, 2012 10:52PM
Sweet mother of f***!!

I remember something similar happened around here two or three years ago (including a little tornado). I'm really hoping that the FIA boys are sensible and do whatever it's necessary.

(Oh, BTW, couldn't help LOLing at the poor guy who fell)

Date: July 06, 2012 11:18PM
Posted by: gav
Carlitox
(Oh, BTW, couldn't help LOLing at the poor guy who fell)

My sister was in hysterics at that when I showed her that Alnwick video earlier this week (we live 3 miles away, though she's now in Sunderland).

Apparently it's a woman, a tourist... I'm guessing she won't be back in Northumberland in a hurry.

We had just 30 minutes of rain before it stopped. I've never seen rain like it (though of course the UK gets off lightly compared to many countries). The water isn't that deep as it's running at such a speed due to Alnwick being at the bottom of a 1/2 a mile steep hill.. crossing the road probably wasn't the brightest decision she'd ever made. Thankfully we didn't have the golfball-sized hailstones some of the country did.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2012 11:24PM by gav.
wow thats alot of rain, we could use some of that here where I live as we havent had a decent amount of rain in months. I think it has only rained briefly for two or three times around here since April.
Date: July 07, 2012 12:22AM
The organizers are urging people not to attend saturday sessions. Parking problems.. again.

Eleven years ago when the Arena project was first seen (I saw it in a F1 Racing magazine) they said that the parking would be majourly improved when it was completed. Another thing that seems to have failed.

hectic weather in that vid...and yes, sort of a cheeky lol at that woman, made easier to laugh when people assisted to stop her lying face down in water !

Hopefully we'll still see something of a race. Someone save me some googling, how far away from silverstone is wimbledon?
Date: July 07, 2012 09:13AM
Posted by: gav
MikaHalpinen
Someone save me some googling, how far away from silverstone is wimbledon?

8,985,610.39 centimetres as the crow flies, according to Google Earth.
Date: July 07, 2012 01:01PM
Posted by: J i m
Or approximately 80 miles via road. Or if you fancy walking it... 65 miles.

Date: July 07, 2012 01:38PM
Can't believe they're still pushing this London GP shite. Hilarious.

Alonso or Hamilton on pole today I reckon :)
Quite a fair bit of rain, great to see the fans sticking it out. Hope they can get it re-started but who knows??
how do i get into the paddock when i attend a race weeekend ? i think it might be funny, different and useful + you can meet plenty of people you ve watched on TV year after year
Date: July 07, 2012 04:42PM
Posted by: Slash
awesome session

who else on pole but Alonso.. the guy is fantastic, and still i don't believe he's sitting in the fastest car, nice to see Schumi right there, it seems he's getting more and more confident.

and Jenson couldn't even beat Senna? my God, what is wrong with Jenson?, honestly, Massa's first 2 or 3 races of the season were bad and the media was crucifying him, Jenson is now on his way to his 5th horrible race in a row but nobody says anything. clearly we can see who filters the news and who dominates them.

if rains continue, watch out for the Schu!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2012 04:44PM by Slash.
Date: July 07, 2012 04:53PM
Posted by: EC83
Well worth the wait for the Pole Position shootout when it finally happened. Alonso is the top driver in F1 right now, that performance was just mindblowing!

great by alosno ! well done to the bloke. However, he is pretty slow on full wet tyres. As are the RBR. Hamilton on the other hand is blindingly fast on wets, but disastrously slow on inters. The merc. in general, and schuey in articular was theonly dirver who was consistently fast on both, the wet and intermediate tyre. I am just so tempted to put 10 euro on him becoming world champ. The coeff. is 126:1. I thought, "oh, he's not that consistent any more, after he flew off the circuit twice in Q2, but then again he said in the press conference that he'd had the wrong vvisor on and couldn't see absolutely anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2012 05:01PM by mitadumapaga.
Date: July 07, 2012 06:15PM
Posted by: Isaint
Alonso, well, seriously what can one say? The absolute best pilot in formula 1 right now. The way he is driving at this moment in time, he could put a bath tub on pole. Button going backwards faster and and faster, it's almost as if he's slipped a time zone and woke up believing he's still driving for Honda. Honestly though, any of you guys got any opinions of why this may be happening to him? I am no fan of Mclaren in general but why has such consistency given way to such appalling results for him of late.
Lewis as has already been stated, finding problems on the inters ... great job by Webber and so glad to see Schumie up there, I actually think that this his best chance to win a GP the Mercedes seems to have the advantage of being well balanced on either wet tyre, plus in his hands that car is pretty quick off the line..

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: July 07, 2012 06:48PM
Alonso: "Haters gonna hate" ;-) hahaha.

No, seriously, that was absolutely brilliant. And even more if you think that he was centimeters away from crashing out in the first part of the Q2. Just awesome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy