2012 British Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by madotter 
Re: 2012 British Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: July 09, 2012 01:37PM
Posted by: phatdaddy
Congrats to Mark Webber. Sneaking up in the points standings.

Date: July 09, 2012 03:50PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Is that how the podium celebrations are always going to be now?

I liked the immediate interviews.
Date: July 10, 2012 09:19AM
Posted by: marcl
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Tbh both the Williams cars are being wasted, at
> least Bruno is getting the points.
>
>
> Maldonado's 11 points clear of Senna. :\

Which actually shows Senna is getting the more points as Maldonado got 25 for the win straight off.

Tbh Maldonado should have had a 3rd place and he would have got points at Silverstone and some other races. He has lost more points than hes actually got.

Bruno might not be getting the big points but he is bringing the car home in the points, when he can.

I dont get why he cannot get upto speed, he was ok last year. Yes he does have silly accidents but for me the biggest problem is the quali speed that is totally missing.

Maybe its due to not actually knowing the tracks, lets face it this is really his 1st full season in a car that is capable of being in the top 15.

Yes I dont think hes that great either, but I dont think hes any worse than Maldonado.
Date: July 10, 2012 01:12PM
Posted by: J i m
With Bruno I think it is a lack of confidence and experience coupled to the fact that ultimately out of the relatively inexperienced drivers in F1 it's Perez and Grosjean who we can now expect to be the next generation of winners. Name and money will only take you so far, Bruno is going to have to come to terms that he'll only ever be a competent driver in the midfield not someone you could expect to win any given weekend.. Of indeed he lasts much longer in F1. That's not to belittle him... Just to accept that the likes of Perez are the more likely next generation.

I wouldn't worry too much about the various development stages of each car.. Each race seems to still be hitting the reset button in team form. So it's a rare opportunity for a driver to make the difference hence Alonso being right up there. This championship is going to come down to consistency. And it's clear the most consistent driver is Alonso because he wins when the chance is truly there and he picks up big points when it isn't. And Red Bull are running away with the constructors, not because it's the best car (although it's as good as any other) but because both drivers are delivering results.

McLaren have self destructed with early pit-stop problems, silly decisions, slow development and Button having a major drop in form. I think they're out of the championship fight now. Hamilton has a chance but it's slimming. Button needs to forget championship and hope to simply win a race again.

Date: July 10, 2012 01:46PM
Yes I think Mclaren need to switch their attention to Lewis.

As said after the last race had Mclaren not kept messing up Lewis pit stops he would be leading the championship or really close to leading it.

Now they are off the pace and some are saying that is down to the fact they have spent so much time fixing things for Button they have gone the wrong way and now Lewis is being effected.

The thing with the Ferrari is they may not have the best car, but they have the most solid car on all the tyres and conditions and thats why Alonso can drive it like he is and get the car up there. The car is now good proven by Massa on Sunday.

Sunday is probably the only mistake Ferrari have made all year in going for the tyres they went for, well could add Canada to that as well.
Date: July 10, 2012 07:09PM
Posted by: gav
marcl
Which actually shows Senna is getting the more points as Maldonado got 25 for the win straight off.

And that doesn't count because...?
Date: July 11, 2012 11:06PM
Posted by: EC83
Great win for Mark, it's awesome to see him rediscovering the mojo he showed back in 2010. (In fact, the title battle itself is pretty reminiscent of 2010 at the moment.)

Date: July 12, 2012 03:13PM
The advantage at the moment is with Alonso though as he has the whole team supporting him where as Webber and Vettel will take points off each other.
The Silverstone part of the Young Drivers' Test began today, and only Williams, HRT and Marussia are taking part. (The YDT at Abu Dhabi will happen later in the year...)

HRT have allowed their Chinese driver Ma Qing Hua the day to test, which has brought him up to the required mileage for a Superlicense. This allows him to take part in the Free Practice sessions with a view to taking a race seat at some stage. The more eagle-eyed of you may have noticed that in recent races, the HRT has sported a lighter red than the initial launch colours. This is to accomodate any future Chinese sponsors that could join the team if Ma gets a seat in practice sessions.

Pictures from HRT Twitter Feed, his helmet also shows that he's got some sponsorship from Olympus and Tag Heuer.

[yfrog.com]
[yfrog.com]
(you can't really see the new sponsors so well; they're on the RW endplate, sidepod area and sidepod turning vane)

So financially, HRT definitely look on their way up. If Ma ever gets a race seat (he should be at the very least doing FP1s), he'd play a similar role that Petrov took at Renault in 2010; enticing business from untapped countries. Since Thesan invested in the team and Perez-Sala took charge, they've become a far more serious operation than before (other than the crash-test problem at the start of the year), and their new HQ in Madrid looks really professional.

Williams are using Bottas (as expected) and Marussia have given Max Chilton and Rio Haryanto (the Marussia Carlin GP2 drivers) a run-out, presumably to replace the unfortunate Maria de Villota.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2012 08:52PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: July 12, 2012 10:37PM
Posted by: chet
A point on Max, he actually seems to be talented whereas his brother... well. Let's say he should have stuck to racing buses for top gear IMO. He has been majorly shown up in WTCC this year IMO.

Another thing, a point being made when you watch most sport's these days, the amount of chinese coming up through the ranks. In Tennis and Snooker it is particularly obvious... I just wonder how many really talented Chinese drivers we will see come up through the ranks to a near f1 stage in the next 10 years.

edit - not so long ago I saw Chinese viewing figures for F1. I would say it is certainly in Bernies and FOM's interests to get a driver in. IIRC the figure was 4 times larger than the F1 viewing figure? (not overly certain!)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2012 10:39PM by chet.
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A point on Max, he actually seems to be talented
> whereas his brother... well. Let's say he should
> have stuck to racing buses for top gear IMO. He
> has been majorly shown up in WTCC this year IMO.
>
> Another thing, a point being made when you watch
> most sport's these days, the amount of chinese
> coming up through the ranks. In Tennis and Snooker
> it is particularly obvious... I just wonder how
> many really talented Chinese drivers we will see
> come up through the ranks to a near f1 stage in
> the next 10 years.
>
> edit - not so long ago I saw Chinese viewing
> figures for F1. I would say it is certainly in
> Bernies and FOM's interests to get a driver in.
> IIRC the figure was 4 times larger than the F1
> viewing figure? (not overly certain!)

Also, Chilton's father is the vice-chairman of Aon, so he's got plenty of backing in that respect. Perhaps a driver for Marussia next year?

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy