2012 British Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by madotter 
Re: 2012 British Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: July 08, 2012 12:39PM
Posted by: marcl
Its looking very good for the drivers who did not go for a full wet setup, for the 1st half of the race.

Will be interesting to see who did what.

Alonso is doing the job, that ferrari is giving plenty of grip when the track is damp thats for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2012 12:45PM by marcl.
Date: July 08, 2012 01:11PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
We should see a great race today if the conditions are changeable - hopefully they will be. If we get an all-out deluge then I don't think there'll be much going on at all.
Button should be alright if the conditions are bad cause he seems to be alright when they're like that. Not expecting much from Sauber/Williams today they don't seem to look too comfortable.

I see those horrible Santander trophies are still around. Bleurgh. Symbolises everything that is wrong with F1 today.

Oh, and guys.... pilots fly planes. Drivers drive cars. Just saying :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2012 01:15PM by loque.
Date: July 08, 2012 02:27PM
That's Maldonado at it again. On lap two or three he ran Kimi off the road (as he did in Valencia) and then mysteriously wobbled into Perez. I'll eat my hat if that wasn't on purpose.

Twat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2012 02:28PM by loque.
Date: July 08, 2012 03:15PM
Posted by: Isaint
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We should see a great race today if the conditions
> are changeable - hopefully they will be. If we
> get an all-out deluge then I don't think there'll
> be much going on at all.
> Button should be alright if the conditions are bad
> cause he seems to be alright when they're like
> that. Not expecting much from Sauber/Williams
> today they don't seem to look too comfortable.
>
>
>
> I see those horrible Santander trophies are still
> around. Bleurgh. Symbolises everything that is
> wrong with F1 today.
>
>
>
> Oh, and guys.... pilots fly planes. Drivers drive
> cars. Just saying :P

Lol. Well just a snippet of information. Did you know that the whole base of the aerodynamics on a racing car is taken from that of an aircraft and the down force acts in exactly the same way but in reverse. On an F1 car to push it down and on an aircraft to keep it up.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: July 08, 2012 03:15PM
Posted by: Isaint
Oh dear, Mercedes have no traction or power for this circuit...................

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: July 08, 2012 03:54PM
Posted by: Slash
loque Wrote:

>
> I see those horrible Santander trophies are still
> around. Bleurgh. Symbolises everything that is
> wrong with F1 today.

Jesus H. Christ, can't FIA regulate that?, i wouldn't be proud of showing that thing to anyone if i ever was an F1 driver, honestly.

also, i believe Ferrari made a mistake, i don't have much information but imho they stopped Alonso a bit too soon on the first pit stop, i guess they were covering from Webber, but a few more laps, 5 or 6 (quite possible if you look at Lewis) and Alonso could've won that race

Maldonado... wow.. just wow, i guess he's on the verge of being suspended for a GP or 2. and i just heard him say he had the corner and it was Perez fault that he didn't gave him any room.... really?, are Williams doing anything to control that guy?, he's fast no doubt but when he sees another car challenging his position he's a complete DONKEY.

dissapointed for Schumacher, his performance the whole weekend was superb but no car.
Date: July 08, 2012 05:01PM
Posted by: J i m
If it weren't for the previous you call that a racing incident.. I wouldn't say he did it on purpose but it was a perfect example of him being stupid. He needs to wise up to his part in on track race craft and learn to accept some responsibility.

Good race.. Some good drivers up at the front by Webber, Alonso & Grosjean.

It's a shame that a neat little car like the Williams is being mostly wasted by it's drivers.

Date: July 08, 2012 05:29PM
Dull race apart from near the end tbh.

There were some good moves in the race but as a whole its just lacked.

Well done by Webber and Alonso.

Mclaren are well out of this at the moment they are just not getting on top of things and leaving their drivers with no chance at all.
Date: July 08, 2012 05:37PM
McLaren... yeah.. When you're struggling to beat a Williams which is being wasted by it's driver you know something is up.

J i m Wrote:
> McLaren... yeah.. When you're struggling to beat a
> Williams which is being wasted by it's driver you
> know something is up.

If someone like Heidfeld was in the car, we'd probably have a gauge of where the car should be...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: July 08, 2012 09:03PM
Tbh both the Williams cars are being wasted, at least Bruno is getting the points.

Had they kept Rubens I think they may have been right up there, not saying he was not past it but he is better than the 2 in the cars.
Date: July 08, 2012 09:28PM
Posted by: vesuvius
marcl Wrote:
> Tbh both the Williams cars are being wasted, at
> least Bruno is getting the points.
>
> Had they kept Rubens I think they may have been
> right up there, not saying he was not past it but
> he is better than the 2 in the cars.

I think they should give Bottas a drive and soon! he has been faster most of the time than either of them and is surely more cleanier driver.
Agree also on Rubens, he is fast and still would get results with this car.
Date: July 08, 2012 09:31PM
Posted by: gav
marcl
Tbh both the Williams cars are being wasted, at least Bruno is getting the points.

Maldonado's 11 points clear of Senna. :\
Date: July 08, 2012 09:36PM
Posted by: Toki
Massa 4th...wtf?????? How is that possible? ;)

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Date: July 08, 2012 11:21PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Toki Wrote:
> Massa 4th...wtf?????? How is that possible? ;)

Ferrari is one of the best cars at the moment (hasn't been far away since the start of the season) and Massa has improved his pace since monaco onwards, his laptimes are very near to Alonso.
Date: July 08, 2012 11:25PM
Posted by: chet
Not a bad race.

Webber is clearly Silverstone (and Monaco?) master.

Awesome drive and tbh I thought Alonso had it in the bag. Question Ferraris strategy but thats obviously in hindsight. Massa performed... well !! He was as quick as you'd expect him to be. 10 seconds over 50 odd laps, about 2 tenths slower than Alonso. Not bad at all.

Vettel has never looked great here, his front wing was damaged at the end but his pace was pretty good still. After today I really do believe Webber is back to 2010 form. It's his first proper win since 2010 and the smile showed that! Monaco was a good win but certainly had an element of luck IMO. Brazil 2011, well I would hardly call it a win. Here Webber fought and overtook on track for the lead. We don't always see that so it must be special for him.

Was surprised to hear Alonso's point lead going into the race. He really is prime position now! Also, after this weekend how much more will we hear about Ferrari still lacking?

I am beginning to question it now. Massa was 4th on pace. The car was equal quickest with the RBR on the day. Just ahead of Lotus, and clearly ahead of Mclaren, Sauber and Williams. Great work, and awesome recovery from Ferrari. They are lucky Alonso got the job done in the early part of the season.

Mclaren, awesome stops again but on track just dead slow. Button was impressive to move up from 18th. Had he started in the top 10 then I doubt he would have been higher than 9th. He and Lewis were matched very closely today suggesting they got the max from the car.

Pleased for Senna. I dont think much more was possible for the car tbh. Pastor noobed up, simple mistake. It happens but Perez's reaction was awful IMO. It was a driving mistake, a racing incident. Had that been any other driver I doubt Perez would have gone on TV complaining. In hindsight I hope he looks at that again and takes a more measured view of the situation and Pastor. It sounded like he just wanted an excuse to lay in to Pastor.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 08, 2012 11:32PM
The Ferrari has consistently improved since Melbourne, and Massa is getting to grips with it. It's no longer a bad car. Alonso is still over achieving though :P

With regards to the Williams drivers. Like we all said during the winter a Barrichello or a Sutil would have been by far the best choices available purely from an experience and reliability point of view. I think both would have scored points in that car in most of the races so far. If one of them would have won a race, I'm not sure. But they wouldn't have consistently ruined good points scoring opportunities and I imagine they'd have been 5th in the constructors instead of 7th.

Maldonaldo often has some handy speed, but he's far too hot headed. He just seems to throw his car at the opposition, far worse than Massa who is also notoriously bargey. You can forgive the odd mistake, like at Melbourne or Montreal... But his antics at Monaco, Valencia and Silverstone are far harder to excuse. Not just because he's lost points but because he's needlessly collided with others sometimes seemingly purposefully.

Bruno seems to be lacking confidence. In a way he reminds me of his HRT days. He's either too slow or over compensating for being too slow. He's had a couple of steady races, Malaysia was impressive, he's been unlucky in a couple of others. But mostly he's been wasting a competitive car by being pig slow in qualifying or making silly mistakes in the races. Take today.. He actually made a brilliant start.. But spoiled it with a spin towards the end the first stint which dropped him behind Hulkenberg. If it weren't for that he shoud have been homing in on Hamilton at the end, not dicking about behind a Force India which had eaten it's tyres. All credit to Hulkenberg though up until his mistake at Cospe he'd defended beautifully.

Date: July 08, 2012 11:44PM
Posted by: chet
Didn't notice the Senna spin!

Shame, because yeah as you say I guess it did cost results.

Looking at the season, there are a lot of points Williams have lost, and at the time it does bug me, but then I realize the car is still good and the team are still developing quite well. That pleases me a lot more than a couple of 6th/7th/8th placed finishes. After last year I am just happy to see them in this position still.

Senna just really needs to somehow fix his qualifying issues. It's season specific because the races he did with Lotus he qualified well IIRC. Back then he showed he had the raw pace, but what he lakced was consistency in the race. That has completely reversed.

Talking of Sutil, I saw he was in a garage, but missed which garage. Any idea's?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 09, 2012 12:29AM
I think it was Force Indias.

Dont think Checos reaction was awful Chet, Pastor does this thing where if he's on the inside going into a corner he takes a wide line and drives them off the road. he does it ALL THE TIME. I think today it was an honest mistake but if I were Perez and I hadn't seen the replay I would have thought that he'd just done it to me too. He's done it to kimi in each of the last two races. the guy is arrogant an has no respect for other people around him. it is only a matter of time before the stewards act.
i found something very interesting to take out from this race. While Coulthard was pointing out how slow the Merc. of schumacher is out of the slow corners before the old start-finish straight, schumacher admitted after the race that it was the fast corners, that the mercedes car does not like. So should we conclude that the MERC. is awful both, in fast and slow speed corners ??? I actually thought they'd be pretty competitive today simply due to 2 facts.

1) the weather and the temperatures i think were simillar to those back in China
2) the trackhas simillar layout characteristics to Shanghai. Those being long fast corners combined with 2 relatively long straights and several slow speed chicanes. So i can only assume that the car has gotten worse since China. Then again, I remind myself of monaco (and probably canada where schumacher was fast indeed) and I do believe that there is still a good speed in that car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy