Re: Henry Surtees Injured In Crash
Date: July 20, 2009 01:21PM
Posted by: EC83
Been away from the net all weekend for once, I couldn't have seen worse news than this on my return.

I watched Henry in some of the BTCC support races on ITV4 last year, he showed real promise.

What a terrible loss. Like Zaz says, at far too young an age.

RIP Henry :(

Date: July 20, 2009 02:23PM
Posted by: kizz
i was there and it was a very odd F2 race, there were 3 red flags in total, one for rain, one for the accident and then the race was just suddenly stopped so i had an idea that something wasn't right :(

R.I.P.
Re: Henry Surtees Killed In Crash
Date: July 20, 2009 02:35PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
micky-cannonball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That F2 Car if im not wrong was made by williams
> team?, well..once again they made an epic failure
> formula car... first in f1 (senna) now in
> f2(henry) what's next? junior formula....that f2
> car was not safe..howcame it passess the fia crash
> test in any scenarios??, well... thats life...full
> of unpredictable events

WHAT?!

I'm not even going to waste my time trying to correct you here. do some google searches and see how much dribble you've just written...
Date: July 20, 2009 02:43PM
Posted by: antihero
RIP, extremely unlucky.

Agree with chet, those wheels came off far too easily!

Bring back the racing
Date: July 20, 2009 06:40PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
micky-cannonball schreef:
> That F2 Car if im not wrong was made by williams
> team?, well..once again they made an epic failure
> formula car... first in f1 (senna) now in
> f2(henry) what's next? junior formula....that f2
> car was not safe..howcame it passess the fia crash
> test in any scenarios??, well... thats life...full
> of unpredictable events

"The Williams F1 designed Formula 2 cars comply with the FIA 2005 F1 safety standards, including the fitment of wheel tethers to reduce the risk of wheels coming off in accidents. The F2 car also includes the latest F1 standards of driver head protection with high cockpit sides and lateral deformable structures. As with F1 however, wheel tethers cannot provide an absolute guarantee that a wheel will not come off in an accident and in a single-seater race car the front of the head is inevitably exposed to the risk, however small, of being hit by another car or component.

All I have to say.

R.I.P.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2009 06:42PM by Iceman-Kimi.
Date: July 20, 2009 07:10PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
RIP. :(

The accident itself didn't look that violent, but from the descriptions of it, shades of Da Matta's Road America accident with a deer a couple years back spring to mind. Nothing short of putting a cover on the cockpits will protect a driver's head from debris, and 2 wheels coming apart that easily says to me the tethers failed. If I were Williams, I'd be withdrawing all those cars from competition until the proper examinations, x-rays and tests were done.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: July 20, 2009 07:14PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Ofcourse not turkey, look above, wheel tethers are no guarantee that the wheels won't come off, they only reduce the risk of them coming off, but at those speeds it's I can imagin quite impossible to be 100% sure.

There's always a risk of these things in motorsports, it's not the first time this happend, but in the past they didn't stop racing because of it, we didn't stop watching because of it, ofcourse, it's sad for Henry and his family, and ofcourse, there needs to be an investigation, but to withdraw the car's goes abit far.

Date: July 20, 2009 07:20PM
Posted by: gav
It did appear that the wheel came off quite easily, but despite the relatively calm impact with the barrier, who knows what forces where acting on any tethers? It might just have been a unique combination of twisting that caused the wheel to come off as it did.

As tragic as it is, let's not fall into the modern day trap of 'someone must be to blame'. In every conceivable way, this was the freakiest of freaky tragedies.

RIP.
Date: July 20, 2009 07:21PM
Posted by: Peat
A beautifully worded statement from Johnathan Palmer:

[www.autosport.com]

Date: July 20, 2009 07:52PM
Posted by: Guimengo
A question on the impact: Was his neck injured in any severe way due to the wheel hitting him and pushing his head down?
Date: July 20, 2009 08:19PM
Posted by: Peat
I doubt it Gui. The Hands device would have limited teh movement. From reading about simular accidents, i would submit that the massive head injury would have caused huge swelling and bruising on his brain. Very slim chances of coming back from that.

Date: July 20, 2009 08:59PM
Posted by: Muks_C
never heard of him before today, but it's so very tragic nonetheless. and so ironic as Palmer said, that John raced on 2 and 4 wheels when safety was virtually non-existent, yet Henry died in an era when safety is paramount and when racecars even get mocked for being too safe.

RIP.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 20, 2009 09:06PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Peat Wrote:
> I doubt it Gui. The Hands device would have
> limited teh movement. From reading about simular
> accidents, i would submit that the massive head
> injury would have caused huge swelling and
> bruising on his brain. Very slim chances of coming
> back from that.

I understand the HANS advantage but I'd imagine that's more for a backlash situation. Though the tire was going towards Henry's head it wasn't an entirely horizontal hit despite the car's speed, so my question was more regarding also any complications from his head being pushed downwards as well on his neck and perhaps in a way having some spine damage.

Anyway, far too complex of a simple question and in the end Henry won't be back from it.
Date: July 20, 2009 11:01PM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
Guimengo ecrit:
> Peat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I doubt it Gui. The Hands device would have
> > limited teh movement. From reading about
> simular
> > accidents, i would submit that the massive head
> > injury would have caused huge swelling and
> > bruising on his brain. Very slim chances of
> coming
> > back from that.
>
>
> I understand the HANS advantage but I'd imagine
> that's more for a backlash situation. Though the
> tire was going towards Henry's head it wasn't an
> entirely horizontal hit despite the car's speed,
> so my question was more regarding also any
> complications from his head being pushed downwards
> as well on his neck and perhaps in a way having
> some spine damage.
>
> Anyway, far too complex of a simple question and
> in the end Henry won't be back from it.

Surtees's accident look to me like the Tom Pryce's one. Whatever you have HANS or any safety device, when something big enough hit your head in 100 kph+, I think you have no chance to get out of this without serious injuries because of the enourmous energy going into a small area.

RIP Henry Surtees :(. My thoughts are with his family.
Date: July 21, 2009 12:10AM
Posted by: Fincent
I would hazard a guess that the injuries were to the front of the skull, possibly some sort of fracture. When the car came to rest, the visor was up and obviously with Henry being knocked unconcious, he wouldn't have been able to raise it himself so I fear that the majority of the tyre's energy went directly into the front of his face.

Unfortunately the driver will always need to see out of his helmet and I suppose this will inevitably make it one of the weaker parts of the helmet.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: July 21, 2009 12:13AM
Posted by: IWE
RIP

Crazy motorsport weekend anyway because in Estonia at some rally event finnish driver crashed and caused death of one spectator. In Bulgary rally co-driver died in crash and in Columbia Ricardo Londono who tried to take part in F1 race as first columbian driver in 1981 was shot this saturday..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: July 21, 2009 12:17AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The wheel that came off was the first part of the car to impact the barrier. That means it took the entire force of the car. Light impact or not, thats a bigger force than people are giving it credit for.

As Gav said, the idea that someone has to be blamed is silly and not productive at all. It was a freak accident and should be treated like it. It isn't like the cars are suddenly unsafe.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 21, 2009 12:50AM
Posted by: Covfan
It was utterly heartbreaking seeing the report about it on the BBC News earlier.
Date: July 21, 2009 01:16AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
Seems silly that the most vulnerable part of the human anatomy is the most exposed in open wheel, open cockpit racing.

Date: July 21, 2009 05:58AM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Content removed by moderator. Post reported.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 02:17PM by mortal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy