Henry Surtees Injured In Crash

Posted by Fincent 
Re: Henry Surtees Injured In Crash
Date: July 21, 2009 11:51AM
Posted by: The Lopper
Having watched that impact again, you can see that the rear wheel is dragged off the car in the initial crash, I'd hazard a guess at saying that the angle of impact had more to do with the wheel coming off than the strength of the impact.

I wouldn't blame anybody for it, but I would still hope something could be learned from it. If there had been a massive impact you could say "fair enough", but somehow a death from a seemingly insignificant crash like this seems...wrong somehow, for want of a better word, although I guess it's an important reminder that even in banal accidents, motorsport is a dangerous activity.
Date: July 21, 2009 08:53PM
Posted by: Red Sam
I remember watching live when Dale Earnhardt died - people didn't think that knock was that hard either, but the angles and stuff was fatal.

RIP Henry

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: July 21, 2009 11:26PM
Posted by: Guimengo
It's so surreal watching crashes that end in fatality. My first one watching it live was Ratzemberger and then Senna in 1994, then in 2001 as I browsed through channels I caught that moment just as Dale went around a corner and then had the accident. Then that marshall at Monza, I didn't know something had happened but I had a bad feeling at the moment. And then Daijiro Kato in MotoGP.

Watching this clip again is a pain because it makes me think "what if he had gone a little more to the side" or "could he see it?" and all those annoying questions. It sucks so much because we can't justify death especially on people in our age group.
Date: July 22, 2009 04:49PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Red Sam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember watching live when Dale Earnhardt died
> - people didn't think that knock was that hard
> either, but the angles and stuff was fatal.
>
> RIP Henry

Dales impact was far harder than it looked -

Onboard video at 45 seconds.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 22, 2009 09:45PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Yeah, sorry I meant that it looked far less violent than it actually was.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: July 22, 2009 11:34PM
Posted by: Peat
Not that i'm a sicko or anything, but i was at my parents this evening and they had teh F2 on sky+ in the EurosportHD format. You can certainly see alot more detail.

When the wheel hits him, his head is forced back and up. When he gets closer after going off, you can see the headrest is broken and the top right of the airbox has some significant damage. I cant imagine the forces involved. Poor guy didnt stand a chance.

What upsets me, is the way he swerves to avoid it just before the impact. He knew what was coming....

Rest In Peace Henry.

The last 'fatal' i saw live was Greg Moore nearly 10 years ago. I was devastated then, and Henry's accident has left me feeling very sad all week thus far. Such a tradegy.

Date: July 24, 2009 05:37PM
Posted by: mika19b
Do you know what Dale actually died from Dave? Was it something internal or maybe hitting his head?
Date: July 24, 2009 06:41PM
Posted by: senninho
mika19b Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you know what Dale actually died from Dave? Was
> it something internal or maybe hitting his head?

AFAIK it was a fracture where the neck joins the base of the skull.

Date: July 25, 2009 05:07PM
Basilar skull fracture. Common motor racing cause of death, Roland Ratzenberger was killed with the same injury. HANS helps massively to combat this type of injury.
Date: August 05, 2009 01:04PM
[f1.gpupdate.net]

They say it's a tragedy when a father outlives his son, this article and photo underline that for me... :(
Date: August 05, 2009 09:30PM
Posted by: Peat
Emotional interview with Sir John.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

RIP Henry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 09:30PM by Peat.
Date: July 20, 2010 09:31AM
Posted by: alexf1man
One year (and one day) on from his death :( [www.gpupdate.net]

On Sunday there was a big crash (also at Brands Hatch) where the driver and marshalls were lucky not to be injured.

Date: July 20, 2010 09:49AM
Posted by: Slash
OMG, car was millimeters from cutting marshal's ankle
Date: July 20, 2010 05:02PM
Posted by: msater
Once again, R.I.P Henry.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: July 20, 2010 09:25PM
Posted by: ferrariman
as far as crashes goes, thats a nasty one that no-one wants to see :(
Date: July 21, 2010 01:42AM
Posted by: loren
Brands seems to have more than its fair share of nasty accidents. Obviously its been upgraded since all the horrorible crashes in the 80's, but still the barriers are pretty close to the track.
Date: August 02, 2010 09:56AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
And another!

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 09:57AM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy