2006 Dunlop British Touring Car Championship

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
2006 Dunlop British Touring Car Championship
Date: May 27, 2006 11:06PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Anyone else following the BTCC this year? I'm going with some mates to Snetterton in August (and before then LOL) to see the race there. Well looking forward to it!

Already been to Snetterton once this year to see the Formula Renault Championship and well enjoyed that aswell. So cool living so close to a circuit!

Discuss!!

P.S. Seat kick ass :D

[en-gb.facebook.com]
man formula renault is so DULL.

I'm not often thoroughly bored trackside but... yeah. BTCC is fairly cool, pretty entertaining even if none of the @#$%& can drive for toffee...
Re: 2006 Dunlop British Touring Car Championship
Date: May 28, 2006 03:10AM
Posted by: DrDougal
YAY,

am going to Thruxton next month, Brands Hatch in September and maybe Silverstone depending on how much money I have and when it is.

I love the BTCC

5 star entertainment every round!
Date: May 28, 2006 10:29AM
Posted by: Lemming
Hoping to see the Donnington race in July I think, need to get some tickets really!

Glad this forum's opened, there wasn't really a place for other motorsport, F1 and Off-topic just didn't work...

i went to brands hatch for the 1st round and that was awsome!

Formula Renault was boring as fook though, the race was decided at the start!
Date: May 28, 2006 11:27AM
Posted by: Glyn
I have to admit I quite like the BTCC too. Yes the cars are a bit wimpy, and the drivers can't really drive, but theres something about it that just makes it interesting to watch.

Date: May 29, 2006 02:22AM
Posted by: DrDougal
If you ever watch the Bathurst race then you will see the same drivers racing that circuit and being competitive. Let me assure you. These are top class drivers.
Date: May 29, 2006 02:38AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
BTCC drivers are some of the worst in professional motorsport.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 12:47PM
Posted by: Covfan
To be fair, V8 Supercars is just as bad with it's "You're within 50 yards of touching a car, Stop and Go" rules
Covfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To be fair, V8 Supercars is just as bad with it's
> "You're within 50 yards of touching a car, Stop
> and Go" rules

nah thats gone now, Ambrose is out of the series!

Date: May 29, 2006 12:51PM
lol yeah. Thats the rules though. V8 drivers seem decent enough, the series just sucks because of the contact rules.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 09:24PM
Posted by: FRESCO
BTCC drivers are some of the worst in professional motorsport.

I fail to see how you can put drivers like Matt Neal, James Thompson, Yvan Muller and Jason Plato in that category. All quality competitors, and with the exception of Plato mostly clean drivers.

I should be going to Donnington and maybe Snetterton this year.

Date: May 29, 2006 09:28PM
Jason Plato deserves to be banned from all motorsport events in the world. Hes a disgrace. He constantly punts drivers off then plays the innocent game. At Knockhill he delbratly punted another car off under Safety Car, whilst marshalls were standing about. What happened? Nothing!

Muller isnt exactly Mr Innocent either, and iirc, Muller and Thompson are part drivers at most now arent they?

Compare the standards in BTCC, the UKs top motorsport series to other series and it all looks a bit silly.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 30, 2006 01:51AM
Posted by: Red Sam
Thompson and Muller drive full time in the WTCC - Thompson is doing some BTCC rounds this year.

I agree with Dave - the top drawer drivers are ok, but below that, its dangerous stuff!

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: May 30, 2006 02:25PM
Posted by: LS.
Anthony Reid was'nt a particulally fair driver or one of the best, but he was my favourite for all round entertainment, a bit like the entertainment value we used to have with Sato when he drove for BAR

They werent the best drivers but they were pure entertainment, a feature sadly lacking in todays racing.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 31, 2006 12:20AM
Posted by: gav
In the "tracksides events" forum on another website, the thread for "who's going to BTCC" was actually called "FBMW, FRenault, PCC GB etc at Oulton this coming weekend..."

I said it then, and I'm equally adament now - we went for the crack rather than the racing. They aren't professionals. They're good, but they're at the height of their careers. People like Plato failed in single-seaters, and have essentially been shuffled into BTCC. It's a poor series.

Bathurst on the other hand is awesome. It's a one off. It's for V8s what the Indy500 is for IRL. A jewel in the crown... or a jewel in the shite in IRLs case.
Date: May 31, 2006 12:49AM
Posted by: LS.
Bathurst rocks!!

Its like demolition derby, that guy was lucky last year when after a car lost its wheel it bounced up and hit the roof/windscreen of his car

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 31, 2006 01:21AM
Bathurst a shadow of its former self though :( Now its just another V8 supercar race, but on an awesome track.

Anyone remember the days when it was televised on British TV, with Murray commentating? They ran the old super tourers (man i miss those) and all the best drivers turned up. You had an entire grid of BTCC drivers, who, at that time WERE the best touring car drivers in the world. Mixed with drivers from all over Europe, and Australias best. That was bathurst at its best! It was pretty much an all-star race!

Closest you'll get to that now is the Daytona 24hrs

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2006 01:33AM by DaveEllis.
Date: May 31, 2006 11:45AM
Posted by: Zyklef
Funny you mention that Dave because just yesterday I bought Murray's Motorsport Spectacular for £2. I miss Super Touring so much, todays cars just aren't as good to watch.
Date: May 31, 2006 12:59PM
Posted by: Peat
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTCC drivers are some of the worst in professional
> motorsport.

Reminds me of some of the antics in NASCAR, a series which as i gather you hold in high esteem.

You get guys spinning others round on purpose under caution, and when there not in the cars their punching each others lights out.

Hardly what i would call proffesional.

*runs away

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy