2006 Dunlop British Touring Car Championship

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
Re: 2006 Dunlop British Touring Car Championship
Date: May 31, 2006 02:28PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
In terms of driving, you seem to know very little of NASCAR and really should not be commenting on it :) The only time i recall an accident under caution was Kenseth and Harvick. NASCAR handed them both suspended race bans and 2 of the second largest fines in NASCAR history at around $100,000 each.

BTCC did nothing to Plato. And kept doing nothing until the final races of the season when he spun another car infront of the pack at Silverstone, and even then it wasnt exactly a harsh punishment. And it didnt work either. This year at Oulton Park Plato was back to his old tricks of punting others off the track if he wanted position. And what happened? Nothing.

NASCAR has 43 drivers, BTCC has around 10-15. NASCAR has 3 hour races. BTCC has 3 20min (approx) races. Yet BTCC can cause more accidents per race weekend than any other series i know of.

Considering in the Super Touring era, around 95-98, BTCC was the best Touring Car Championship in the world, its a bit embaressing now. Low car grids, poor driving standards, and not exactly good cars anymore! :( BTCC needs a proper rework to regain the glory it once had.

Zyklef, i think i have that VHS tape somewhere. Its brilliant! the Super Tourers were so good. The Laguna, Mondeo, Vectra, A4 (hmmm...quattro!) Primera. Man, those were the glory days :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2006 02:30PM by DaveEllis.
Date: May 31, 2006 03:37PM
Posted by: Peat
ok, see your point.

And by the way, i so agree about the supertourers. They rocked!

What spec are WTCC cars against BTCC? Anything resembling supertourers?

Date: May 31, 2006 04:14PM
Posted by: Lemming
BTCC is a lot more exciting than NASCAR for me, just because if you're on the inside for one corner, you might not be for the next, so it's all close racing.

With NASCAR, if you're on the inside for one corner, you're on the inside for the next. And the next. And the next. Etc. Yawn. And they always seem to be behind a safety car every time I've watched it, which to be fair isn't all that often.

I like the BTCC because they're not afraid to go wheel to wheel, and even when they touch a little, it's fine because they usually get away with it. Whereas NASCAR, going wheel to wheel ends up in one of the cars having a huge accident against the barriers, it just spoils the flow for me.

Date: May 31, 2006 05:05PM
What use is the inside of a corner if the outside is just as fast? ;-) Most yellows recently have been caused by the "nany state" and NASCAR trying to be too safe and throwing yellows for debris, not accidents. Bit like F1 is doing by installing a million mile tarmac run offs. Safety takes priority...far too much. Its common in all motorsports nowdays. Altho i do find it funny you say -

Whereas NASCAR, going wheel to wheel ends up in one of the cars having a huge accident against the barriers.

Complete opposite actually. How many BTCC passes are made without contact between the cars? Really though, in a 3 hour race you'll get less accidents in an average NASCAR race than an entire BTCC weekend. And if you want bump and bang, wheel to wheel, without major accidents then you need to check out a bristol or martinsville race. In a regular 1.5Mile oval you'll tend to have 10 cars in total side by side on that lap, without an accident.

What you have to understand about the long oval races that NASCAR and IRL have is that the start of the race means very little. The first 50% of the race is an endurance test. Keep the car in one peice and dont have an accident, or failure. The next 25% of the race is setting yourself up. Get the car how you want it, understand how its working on long and short runs, and have yourself in a good position by the end of it. You can make a vast ammount of setup changes on a NASCAR in the pit stops such as the track bar and spring rubbers. Oval cars are much more sensitive to setup change too, so small drops in temperature and wind changes really comptelty change the car. So since alot of NASCAR Races start late afternoon and run into the early evening, and finish under the lights, your constantly working to keep the car setup perfect. The last 25% is the sprint to the finish and if you've done the job correctly before hand, your in for a good time.

With other motorsports such as F1, and especailly series with shorter races such as DTM, BTCC, WTCC, and the junior GT championships, its a sprint for the entire length of it. You need your car working fine by the start of the race, at which point you drive off.

Other the opposite extreme, Endurance racing. LMS, ALMS, FIA GT, Le Mans, etc. Where the whole point is its not a race on track. You wont see wheel to wheel battles. Its about getting the car through the endurance task.

NASCAR mixes both "wheel to wheel" racing and endurance :) But at the end of the day, you cant compare Oval and Road racing. (heh, i wasnt the one who brought up NASCAR :P) Dont really see what it has to do with the subject anyway :P

I like the BTCC because they're not afraid to go wheel to wheel, and even when they touch a little, it's fine because they usually get away with it.

hm, thats not what i see in BTCC. The general way to pass in BTCC is throw the car up the inside, and if theres a car there, you'll hit him. Probably hard enough to put him off the track. But that doesnt matter because you wont take damage, and the governing body wont say anything. The last few years have been REALLY poor to BTCC where its just a crashfest because thats what brings in the ratings from the general public.

I guess it depends what you want to see. I want to see QUALITY racing, with the top drivers in that area of motorsport, battling. If it doesnt produce an on-track battle, then thats fine. Im still watching the best drivers doing what they do. But I cant stand series which encourage poor racing (driving into each other is not racing) and poor driving standards. That isnt racing. Thats not even entertainment to me, and the quality is non exsistant. I can see that at the banger track, I dont need to see BTCC for it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 31, 2006 05:18PM
Posted by: tripleM
You wouldn't call drivers who are smart enough to use their glove to bring out a caution unprofessional. ;-)

Date: May 31, 2006 05:39PM
Im still not sure where that glove came from. Was blue, no blue drivers were missing a glove. Thrown from somewhere?

Still dont see what that has to do with the aubject though ;-) Or maybe some people are just looking for something to dig at :P

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2006 05:40PM by DaveEllis.
Date: May 31, 2006 05:47PM
Posted by: tripleM
No it's not a dig.

It's a sign that a driver is thinkiing during the race and not simply looking to bump the car infront.

Date: May 31, 2006 11:17PM
Posted by: DrDougal
Chilton, Thruxton '05, £5,000 fine for first corner pile up.

Collard, Brands Hatch '06, Disqualification (+ fine i think) for hitting off Neal.

Thats all I can remember for now but it does show there is a level of Aggresion allowed in the BTCC. I'm sure if TOCA felt there was a driver that dangerous he would be removed from the series.

How Plato is still going I have no idea. But I like watching it, so I'm not complaining.
Date: May 31, 2006 11:25PM
I'm sure if TOCA felt there was a driver that dangerous he would be removed from the series.

Well, you said it yourself. You dont know how Plato is still going. Punting off cars into marshalls in the wet is probably as dangerous as it gets. Altho tbh, thats not BTCCs fault. Mr Plato needs removed from all forms of motorsport IMO.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 01, 2006 12:53AM
Posted by: Zyklef
The thing with Plato is that he seemed a fine and competent driver until his feud with Muller for the title, before that I can't remember him being so brash and unproffesional in racing.

But yeah, bring back the Super Tourers! The noise that the 2000 season Ford Mondeo made was fantastic. :D
Date: June 01, 2006 02:31AM
Now that you mention it yeah. Plato wasnt a problem in his early years of the late 90s.

In terms of noise, i definatly prefered the Lagunas and Vectra!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 01, 2006 02:09PM
Posted by: chet
How did the super tourers differ from todays touring cars?

I thought todays touring cars were standarr road cars with junk taken away, but with the same engine, but new gearbox? :S

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 01, 2006 03:57PM
Suprer Tourers had more power and more aero grip (especailly in the later years). They were also considerbly more expensive, but harder to drive.

Those were the days when BTCC was for MEN. Menu, Rydell, Winkelhock, Cleland. Touring car legends.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 01, 2006 06:35PM
Posted by: Jackal
I dunno much about NASCAR, either, but last time I watched it I saw one guy throw his HANS system at an opponent's car - are they children racing there?!
Date: June 01, 2006 07:14PM
No. Which is why Kyle Busch was put on a suspended ban and fined for it. As well as additional

But hey, it wasnt childish when Piquet and Salazar had a punch up was it? ;) Or when Senna went for a fight with Eddie. Or when Schumacher went down pit lane to have a fight with DC. That was known as character wasnt it :) Your just looking for things to take a dig at now ;)

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Suprer Tourers had more power and more aero grip
> (especailly in the later years). They were also
> considerbly more expensive, but harder to drive.
>
>
>
>
>
> Those were the days when BTCC was for MEN. Menu,
> Rydell, Winkelhock, Cleland. Touring car legends.
>
>

That volvo is lush, and you dont hear that everyday!

Those were the days though wernt they, i watched my 1995 and 1998 videos not long ago and the super tourers were so much better. I hate these civics and leons + there dosnt seem to be as many quality drivers as there used to be.
Date: June 01, 2006 11:08PM
Posted by: LS.
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

the Super Tourers were so good. The
> Laguna, Mondeo, Vectra, A4 (hmmm...quattro!)
> Primera. Man, those were the glory days
>

;) taken at Goodwood last year :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2006 11:09PM by LS..
Date: June 01, 2006 11:11PM
That cars famous, but for the wrong reasons! That and the Alfa Romeo from a couple of years before caused such a stir! 4wd and some very questionable front suspension on that Audi.

But still from the best era of BTCC without a doubt. And one of the best tin top drivers in the world too.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 03, 2006 01:28PM
Posted by: Zyklef
Just a note for chet about the Super Touring cars: Unlike today's S2000 cars or whatever they're called, they Super Tourers had to be 4-door saloons and at least 4.2(?) metres long. Cars like the Civic and the Astra just aren't touring cars for me.
Date: June 03, 2006 09:39PM
Posted by: kizz360
those were the good old days, brings back good memories of going to brands :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy