PES 2008, PES 2009, FIFA 09

Posted by Guimengo 
Re: PES 2008, PES 2009, FIFA 09
Date: October 22, 2008 04:30PM
Posted by: Guimengo
PES 2009 feels much, much better than 2008 but I still don't know, 5 min games in the demo doesn't help. The right analog stick now controls all passing and (possibly shot) without the need to click and aim. The left analog controls the direction of the player but if you move quick enough you can do fancy moves and the such. The R1+ down doesn't do the pull back anymore and I didn't have a chance to find out more stuff as I was going on Top Player against Liverpool and Real Madrid, but I'll turn it down to Regular or Easy to find out moves. It feels a bit like FIFA 09 the player control, it's an improvement over PES 2007 and 2008 for next gen, no doubt. The players actually feel quite loose and free to move where you want, it's an interesting change and we'll see how that goes. PES also just owns FIFA when it comes to graphics, beautiful.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 06:18PM by Guimengo.
Date: October 22, 2008 04:54PM
Posted by: Craigo
Played pes 2009 round mates on 360, 2 on 2
was still great fun tbh, nut single player dont look great!
Pes better graphics than fifa gui???!!
Date: October 22, 2008 06:42PM
Overall I believe so, the stadium, crowd and player resemblance. The body model is more realistic on PES, but to be fair both games are quite good with graphics so that shouldn't be a decisive point. In PES you can also choose to control just one player in the field (like FIFA's Be a Pro mode). I just have to make sure I found the right button to ask for the ball ;).
Date: October 23, 2008 01:54AM

As far as I can tell, still some issues with curving the ball. The players feel lighter and the goalies still aren't that good (ex: a shot from just outside the box right on van der Sar's chest gives a rebound or goes to corner).
Date: October 23, 2008 06:52PM
Ok, I got some more playing done last night and because of the issues with shot/cross control I have to say FIFA takes it again this year (except for PS2). PES gives you a better feel of a football game than FIFA (like GP4's feeling of being in a race despite all its other limitations) but it just hasn't found its sweet spot yet as it did in past generations.

More feedback from other fanatics would go well here, if you have had the chance to play... post people! ;)
Date: October 24, 2008 11:24AM
Posted by: SexySam182
I havent played PES since PES6 as I felt the series was going downhill. I visited my best mates uni last weekend and he had FIFA09. All the guys in his hall would crowd in his room to play. And I must say I very much enjoyed it, it wasnt too easy, and nto too hard, it really felt like you were playing football. I'm just trying to decide whether its worth my money to buy a game which I cant play online this time next year.

Date: October 24, 2008 05:02PM
FIFA 09 also made the goalies more realistic and susceptible to outside shot goals. After looking some more into PES, the sound and commentary sucks as well :(. Not that it is a bad game, it just isn't that good, but it's weird to see Konami playing the catch up game. Another year and another PES disappointment... PES simply hasn't made the next gen jump yet.
Date: October 24, 2008 05:23PM
Posted by: SexySam182
Yeah because it always used to be that ISS/PES was the far superior game, but sold less due to its lack of licence. Now its selling more because of its reputation and Konami are bringing out a new version every year, and FIFA has been able to catch up and beat PES in the quality stakes.

Date: October 24, 2008 06:16PM
ISS on the N64 was the arcade bro of PES on the PS, but it had one thing that was absolutely great and hasn't been around since: the effect you could put on the ball by using the Z button! It affected the curve of the ball and depending on the kind of long pass it affected the ball's bounce/rebound, just like you can do in real life! Also the curve you could put on shots... mmm nostalgic :). I still got ISS 98 for the N64 at my mum's house in Brazil :D

Edit: And ever since I got it, PES 2007 on the PS2 is the one game me and my friends have always played. Now we have to usually settle for a random FIFA 08 game since I don't always bring the PS2 with me to uni and my other friend left his at home so PES would distract him from schoolwork ;).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 06:18PM by Guimengo.
Date: October 25, 2008 10:50PM
Posted by: MattB
I just downloaded the FIFA 09 demo and found it wouldnt see my 360 controller, which is quite annoying, football games suck on keys/mouse so screw that. PES09 demo on its way...

Date: October 27, 2008 07:20AM
FIFA 09 works perfectly with my X360 controller, maybe you have to install the driver for it
Date: October 27, 2008 06:17PM
Posted by: Ajayrious
I've been playing PES 2009 the last few days and it strikes me as a bit like an old centre forward, like a Michael Owen type.

It was the best in the world in its youth but then recently it got complacent with its good press and in 2008 had hit a few injury worries and was not the player we all know and love. In 2009 its fighting back to full fitness and has added to its game (Become a Legend, Champions League) but its still hamstrung by the same niggly little worries as before (Randomly good/inept goalkeepers, Awful Commentary, Players not actually passing to the player you point to or passing to opponents). And now its lost its place as the number 1 in its country.
Date: October 28, 2008 09:10PM
I got a chance to play FIFA 09 on XBox 360 and it's basically the same gameplay as the PC but it just feels to have a little slower reaction. FIFA beats PES by far :(.
Date: October 29, 2008 06:29PM
Posted by: Robert
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got a chance to play FIFA 09 on XBox 360 and
> it's basically the same gameplay as the PC but it
> just feels to have a little slower reaction. FIFA
> beats PES by far :(.

Actually, I own Fifa 09 on the PS3 and have played it on the PC, and I think the gameplay is completely different :)
It feels more realistic on the PS3 to me (I have it on slow speed, as I prefer a slower game),
but I think the ball feels too light when shooting from distance with bad players (on assisted shooting though).
Probably because the Current and Next-Gen versions are developed completely seperately within EA.

I have also played the demo of PES 2009 on PS3 and I agree, it is not as good as FIFA.

The XBox 360 controller worked fine on my friend's pc when I played it, and he said he didn't have to change any settings.
However, I've seen something about controllers on the official EA Sports FIFA 09 Forum, so maybe look for that :)

Rob

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]
Date: November 02, 2008 08:48AM
Having some more fun, I decided to start completing some challenges! I am a bit disappointed with the possibilities of editing existing players, uniforms, and goal celebrations ;)

Date: November 03, 2008 10:08PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Only you would put yourself in game. Also why are you wearing rubber gloves :P

H E L L O
Date: November 03, 2008 11:25PM
I put myself in the game because I am a football freak and it still is my dream to play ;). The quality of the image isn't great because it saved as jpg, but believe me I wasn't wearing those for protection ;)
Date: November 03, 2008 11:51PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
What were you wearing them for then? ;)
I put myself in my PES master league team once.
Then I discovered that master league with default players sucked.
What really annoys me about PES is that if you play with fast players, you can't outpace defenders with the ball, if you go past them they accelerate to full speed in half a metre and catch back up.
Also, if you play with a lower side like say Catania, as I used to, the players feel like lead weights to move around, they can't shoot or control or generally play football for @#$%&.

Same dream here Gui, best of luck with it. ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2008 11:58PM by salvasirignano.
Date: November 04, 2008 04:36PM
My only excuse for keep adding myself is that I used to play for Flamengo before leaving Brazil ;).

PES has always been bad with lower teams, ratings-wise, no hope there except for manual editing (my PES 2007 on PS2 is updated to 2008/2009 season ;))! And the running, check if the guys you run with have Dribble Speed around 82 or less. If you have a guy who has 84 or so on speed/accel and has some decent agility, you only need a number in the low 80s to be able to beat defenders (though you should consider double tapping the direction in which you're running and also press R2 and move diagonally as you run, to really knock the ball forward!).

Oh, and I got gloves there because I set the game to be in the winter :P.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2008 04:37PM by Guimengo.
Date: November 04, 2008 06:59PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Thanks for that Gui :)
You say you used to play for Flamengo, was that in a youth team?
I was at Leeds' academy until I got injured, that was several years ago now. :(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy