EA F1 games? car feeling

Posted by laurent 
Re: EA F1 games? car feeling
Date: March 27, 2005 07:46PM
Posted by: senninho
Davwe, normally your opinions and assertions are spot on, but you're a little out on the above.

Have you ever seen body roll on an F1 car?

In short, i've never seen body roll, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't feel it - I suppose what we're trying to describe isn't actually body roll. It's more like simply the sensation of lateral forces building up when cornering - you do get a better sensation of that, and also the general weight transfer through the car. Body roll is probably the wrong term, to be honest.

Also who said that F1C models the ability to downchange too early? You know the electronics in an F1 car wont allow that right?

You've got a point there also, but bear in mind not all teams can necessarily afford such systems, nor are they all likely to care. Mika Hakkinen changed down into first gear too soon at Monza in '99, remember. As an aside, i'm pretty sure you can actually edit the point at which the game will allow you to change down, from within the car's physics file. It's one of a few odd options, including the ability to have front or four-wheel drive, which is a bit out of place in an F1 game ;)

Date: March 27, 2005 07:49PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Tell me where it is 'cause I may need it for the F1C League ;)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:34PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
But the game models 99-02 so you can manually change gears. If you change down one too many, the rears will lock up and you will spin.

Yes, and you missed the point. F1 cars do not allow you to shift down too early. They havent done for years now. If the revs arent correct and you try to shift down it wont change.

Even some road cars like the Enzo and the DB9 dont allow you to shift down too early.

And as for your 'Have you ever seen body roll on an F1 car?' car comment. Get urself down to silverstone and stand on the entry to copse and watch.

You dont need to be at a track to see body roll. Infact it might even be easier to pick it up on TV since you can slow mo and zoom and all the rest of it. F1C has far too much visible body roll

In short, i've never seen body roll, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't feel it - I suppose what we're trying to describe isn't actually body roll. It's more like simply the sensation of lateral forces building up when cornering - you do get a better sensation of that, and also the general weight transfer through the car. Body roll is probably the wrong term, to be honest.

I dont get any feeling from ISI based games at all since the tyre model/physics are so detached from the feedback that it gives through the screen, the sounds and the wheel. I get much more feedback from GP4/NR2003/GPL because it all feels like a better package. Like when they were making the physics model they were thinking of the force feedback. With ISI games it feels like it has a bunch of totally seperate engines (feedback, physics, graphics, sound) which were created by a totally different group of people, and these engines dont interact with each other at all.

Best example is if you lock a wheel there is no force feedback for it, all you get is some sound and the smoke. That isnt good enough for sim racing. You need to be able to feel what the tyres and car is doing, and F1C does not model this at all.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy