My new track: Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (UPDATE 15/12/09)

Posted by Fincent 
Hi there

I've had a bit of a break since doing Thermalito but had some inspiration recently after visiting my local city, Liverpool. I thought it would be a good idea to make a track using real streets and since I only live a few miles away, I can get all the reference material I want, whenever I want :)

So I got my dad to drive me round the route a few times yesterday (haven't passed my test yet lol) and here is the video :)

Direct Link to High Quality video

All comments and suggestions welcome (as always ;-) )!
-Fincent

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2009 09:27PM by Fincent.
Liverpool's your local city? Top man! :)

I've thought of doing something around Lowestoft and/or Nottingham. Can't make tracks to save my life though. ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Totally unrealistic, where's the robberies?
It looks like it could be a nice fast street track :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2008 02:05AM by salvasirignano.
@ Covfan, I intend to make a special layout of the track where the AI stops in the pit and the mechanics run off with the wheels ;) . Just so you know, I'm not actually a scouser, I'm just surrounded by them...

Circuit Thermalito

i like it :) It goes through many of the roads i drive on every day!

Ah The Gallery by Muse. I love this track, yours and theirs ;)
With the release of the new version of BTB coming ever closer, my work on this track is about to kick in seriously. One thing I can't find for my resources though is a detailed contour map (to show elevations) of the area. Does anybody know where I can obtain a topological/contour map so that I can get the hills and dips spot on?

Many thanks :)

Circuit Thermalito

Ordnance Survey maps may be the fruit you're after. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Right, now that the new BTB is out I've been able to start some proper work on this track and to be honest, I'm not too sure if it's going to work or not :( . I've tried a few streets so far and they just seem too narrow and there's not much scope for making them wider unless I remove all the pedestrian pavements and stuff. It's looking like it's going to along the lines of Monaco/Detroit when it comes to the width of the track. That's the problem though, do I stick to the way it is and make a realistic track or do I just widen the roads and forget about real life?

Whaddya think?

Circuit Thermalito

Here's a few quick BTB shots to show you what I mean:

Circuit Thermalito

Looks good so far to me, i reckon down the straights theres just enough room.

I cant use BTB to save my life - all my attempted tracks turn out crap!
Finnamus Fin Fin, what if you change the layout a little to include more straights and take the track to bits that are further out of the city going to the outskirts?
mika19b Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks good so far to me, i reckon down the
> straights theres just enough room.
>
> I cant use BTB to save my life - all my attempted
> tracks turn out crap!

Exactly the same here ;)
Thanks for the comments and stuff so far. I've done a quick video to show you what I mean as the pictures didn't really show how tight it is.

Here's one of the shots in real life also (taken on my W880i phone) :)

As you can see, there really is no way I can make the track any wider!

Circuit Thermalito

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2009 09:28PM by Fincent.
You could allow kerbs but it would make F1 and other open wheeler racing a bit prohibitive there
hm I've got a suggestion:

instead of walls, how about guardrails/fences to line the track? as if this were ever to take place, Liverpool would probably use guardrails and fences to line the streets instead of short concrete walls ;) (or do those walls become guardrails in BtB?)
Quick update with the barriers and track width and stuff. I've moved the pavements out by a few inches, changed the barriers and thinned them down to make the maximum possible space available on the track. If I expand it any more then it's just not going to be realistic anymore. So Ive just taken a few shots of various places around the bits I've done so far. Does it look okay to you regarding the width of the track? :)

Circuit Thermalito

Looks good width-wise Fincent, keep it up!
I'm just starting out making a track myself in BTB, just for fun though.
I'm trying the recreate the bonus track from F1 '97 ;)
Looks fine, Fin. We can just think twice about some overtaking spots, not a problem ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy