NHL 09 - question about scoring/shooting/passing

Posted by abdelkader 
NHL 09 - question about scoring/shooting/passing
Date: March 02, 2010 12:17AM
Posted by: abdelkader
Hello.
I got hooked on North American sports and between playing American football games with Madden I decided to play some hockey matches with my NHL 09. Here I have got a couple of questions concerning scoring.

I went to practice mode, chose Alex Ovechkin and wanted to drill a bit one-on-one attempts...Out of 101 shots I scored from only 4 shots. I was so devastated :/ I suppose my scoring percentage should be 'a bit' higher. What is your advice to enhance my scoring record? Is it because I play with the keyboard?

Second thing - When I play a match I noticed that I often have it hard to deccelerate or suddenly change skating direction with my players. It often results in missing nobody's puck and letting it get picked up by the opposing team...which often results in one-on-one stuff with my goalie and losing goals.
I also noticed that when I go forward to the opponents' goal together with my teammate and I pass the puck across the rink for him to make a shot, he misses the puck and a scoring opportunity gets wasted. Of course, I know that it happens as everybody can make such mistakes in real games, too...but it happens in about 6 out of 10 cases. A little bit too often in my opinion.

This is how I lose games in NHL 09 and I want to put an end to this bloody streak. I hope I will, with your pieces of advice, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 12:18AM by abdelkader.
I just bombard the goal with shots. Also, what team are you playing as?
I also try to take as many shots as possible. Unfortunately it hardly ever pays off. It happens that at the end of the game I have 10 to 15 shots-on-goal more than the opponents and I still lose, for example 4-1. I really hate the situations in which I'm having a good momentum and keep shooting on goal without any result...and then the AI team intercepts the puck, makes a counterattack and immediately scores. It happens to me in EVERY game.

Well, currently I play as the Red Wings. From time to time I also choose Colorado, Pittsburgh or Montreal.

abdelkader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, currently I play as the Red Wings. From time
> to time I also choose Colorado, Pittsburgh or
> Montreal.

Pittsburgh! I'm ashamed of you, I'm a Philadelphia Flyers fan. In all honesty im not the best person to ask as i'm not great at the game.
To be honest, the Flyers are the most frequent of my opponents in exhibition games...I don't know myself, why. I just like competing with them. I loved the team in the era of Lindros, Brind'Amour or Desjardins - now I only love to face them.

Ok then, I'm still waiting for some hints or tips.

Hey mate!

Been playing NHL 09 with my roommate for a couple of months now, got 46" samsung lcd-tv as a secondary monitor and two logitech gamepads so it's freaking awesome. Really suggest you get one, they cost like 30€ here in Finland and of course you can play
other games with it too, as keyboard is not really the greatest way to go with sport-games, in my opinion at least.

As for the scoring, both of us usually score from one timers or breakaways. The more you play the sooner you'll find the optimal positions to pass the puck to your teammate and slapshot it from a pretty close distance to opponents goalie,
that usually gives him no or a small change to get between. When you got a breakaway, I'm not sure how's the deal with keyboard, but at least with gamepad where you use yoke to divert opponents goalie you just need to get the right touch
and get into the rhytmn, quick left - right - left - shot, depending on if your player is left or right handed. Shootout mini game is a great way to work this out, even thou I find it a lot more difficult than in game situation.

Also, try increasing your game speed, shot power and shot accuracy from the game settings and change your strategies to more all out attack or aggressive for the offensive.
When it comes to nobody's pucks, I think there's really no straight solution, you just got to be a bit ahead of your opponent, they are too easy to miss no matter how much you play, that's for sure! :)
Sorry it's all so hard to explain, english is not my primary language, but I'm sure you'll find it all when playing more and more.

Good luck with scoring! =)
Thanks for that.
Actually I have a gamepad but, apart from racing games and some old Nintendo emulated games, I didn't use it at all. Yesterday I got it a crack and I see a huge difference, indeed. I don't lose so many pucks, passes are much more accurate and I don't miss nobody's pucks as often as before. The only thing which still annoys me is scoring. I played Montreal vs Florida. I had whole lotta opportunities but lost 3-1. I got pi$$ed off and made a rematch. Even though I didn't change anything in my playstyle - I won 4-0 having a 2-0 lead after 1st period already. But as you said, even though I still can't get used to all those buttons I have to push and operating the knobs, I see a big difference now.
Indeed, mini shootouts are far more difficult to score from than in-match opportunities. However, instead of scoring 4/100 shots I now score about 16/100 which is a relatively huge improvement. I'll try to apply your method of leaning to the left,right,left and making a slap and see if it works in my case. Thanks again :)

P.S.
By the way...I couldn't believe in what I had seen in the 1st period of USA-Finland game in Vancouver Olympic hockey tournament...my God, guys, where were your heads? :P

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2010 12:10PM by abdelkader.
Re: NHL 09 - question about scoring/shooting/passing
Date: March 08, 2010 05:17AM
Posted by: Guimengo
NHL 09, 10... it's always tough to score :P. Stick to it and eventually you'll get used and find "shortcuts".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy