does anyone know anything about phones

Posted by Daniel Knott 
does anyone know anything about phones
Date: February 04, 2011 05:31PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
cos i sure don't.
(i didn't really want to hijack the other thread cos that's not really fair, so i made a new topic er i'm not sure if that's better or worse - merge it if you want).

Looking to get a phone, don't know anything about them or even anywhere you can get them for cheap. Don't even know good phone kind of "fan sites / forums". Now you are aware of how clueless i am, i shall move on to what i do (perhaps, sort of) know.

Basically any phone i get i am hoping to unlock and get on three anyway so that i can get free skype calls and things - and they seem by far the cheapest network at least for payasyougo. Also i heard something about using fring or somesuch when you have access to wifi so that you can do skype things that you otherwise would have to pay for under how three's pricing works?

Are all windows 7 mobile phones with tiny screens? cos at least ones that i saw were and i dunno how that really works out for typing?
Don't know anything really about nokia's meego so can't really say about that? Though i spose aren't decent nokias normally super expensive?

So that really only leaves android i guess?
Was looking about a huawei u8110 (t-mobile pulse mini) but then i'm not sure if that would be good or not. Also noticed the zte blade (orange san francisco) which is another option and looked like it could be good but is the battery a problem for all these new phones?
That said i also saw that there would be a nicer phone coming out from huawei - the ideos x5 (specs) should be out soon. They said it should be out january or something in europe but i can't find much about it in terms of cost or who will be selling. Mind you it would probably be rebadged? which makes tracking it down impossible for me:s No idea how to find out what it will be rebadged as or how much it's likely to cost though as to whether there's any point waiting. Hopefully will be cheap considering huawei are trying to establish themselves.

How would it be for updating phones to latest / later versions of android though? is it always possible or does it depend on the phone. If having to root it, would that mean it would always be at least somehow viable?

It would be perhaps nice to get one that has a keyboard or at least some array of hard buttons though, as certainly for applications or games (not necessarily typing itself), hard keys are really necessary - i've seen there can be "on screen keys" but really this is not the same and also doesn't really work well for pressing multiple buttons at once. Mind you i doubt i'd use the device for games that much - it just shows that that certain interface and control schemes are not suited to purely touch screen devices, even though developers appear to try and shoe horn them in. Point and click adventures and strategy games and such like would work well though.

Anyway sorry for rambling, i genuinely don't have much of a clue so i thought it would be best to ask.

Any alternate suggestions are welcome.

H E L L O
Re: does anyone know anything about phones
Date: February 04, 2011 06:32PM
Posted by: msater
Android person here :)

Orange San Francisco is a good option; the consensus is (in the UK at least) that it's the best (new) Android phone for under £200. You could also get a better phone that is pre-owned; I got my Google Nexus One for £190, and it's preowned, in reasonably good condition. This enables you to get a better phone, but for less money than it would be new.

Also, Windows Phone 7 phones are quite good, the Samsung Omnia 7 in the UK is a very very good phone IMO. WP7 needs to be developed a bit more, as it's about a year behind Android and iOS, but it appears to be catching up fast!

Read some smartphone blogs; the good ones are generally

[www.intomobile.com] - for all rounded, WP7, Droid, iOS news
[www.androidpolice.com] - Android news and blog (American)
[www.eurodroid.com] - for European Android news
[www.engadget.com] - all round technology site

If anyone has anymore, I'd be really happy if you shared them lol!

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: February 09, 2011 02:31AM
Hmm well there's this site, phandroid that i found. Problem with most sites you find is they are either "pull stories off other sites and link to them add revenue money making nothings" with no content of their own or they are american market focused which doesn't really help a lot. That and everything seems contract focused too.

i bet that samsung is loads though?

Too be honest, i don't even know really where to look to buy phones cheaply :S And even then, cheap second hand phones, i wouldn't have a clue.
Also looks today like there will be a huawei x3 to go along with the x5.

H E L L O
Date: February 10, 2011 07:29PM
I bought my Nexus One at a shop called CeX. They have a site at [uk.webuy.com], and have a store locator too. They sell reasonably cheap second hand phones :)

The Omnia 7 is expensive, but you do get a lot for your money. Aluminium build, WP7, 4inch Super AMOLED screen...the list goes on. You can probably get one preowned, too.

Phandroid is OK. If you want European Droid news, go to [eurodroid.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 07:29PM by msater.
Date: February 11, 2011 02:26AM
Ah okay i didn't think of cex - i forgot they sold phones. Mind you i've never found them particularly cheap.

Most of the blogs seem sketchy with information - but i guess they don't have a lot to go on.
Hmm i dunno whether to wait to see what the x5 and x3 will cost or to just get a san francisco. Also there was news of some LG Pecan being released by orange soon so i dunno whether that is going to be better than the san francisco or not.

H E L L O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 02:28AM by Daniel Knott.
Date: February 11, 2011 11:22PM
Like I said, the San Francisco is the new best Android phone for under £200. Typically low-end LG phones tend to look low-end (unlike the San Francisco) and are usually low end specs as well.

Date: February 13, 2011 01:42AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I'm a BlackBerry man really, but I've been quite impressed with the Samsung Omnia 7 and am definitely giving it a long hard look.

[Website]
Date: February 20, 2011 12:41PM
Posted by: gav
Argos, of all people, are doing the Orange San Francisco for £90 PAYG now, including a £10 top-up. Apparently it's free to unlock too, and of course you can install a custom ROM for it if you don't like it out of the box.
Date: February 20, 2011 05:40PM
Posted by: Zcott
Three are offering the iPhone 4 for £30 a month with 500mb data, or £35 a month for unlimited data. Handset is £99/£159.

They're also offering the 3GS for £25/mo with 1gb data, handset is £129.

Date: February 20, 2011 09:08PM
Hmm i was looking and 3 payg seems really crap now - i didn't realise they changed it but apparently they have. It seemed really good before but now it just seems awful.
I think i will go on giffgaff or something.

Anyway yer, will probly go for the san francisco. The sequel to it (zte skate) will come out in may and have 800Mhz, better camera and a bigger screen (but same resolution) but i don't know if i can be bothered to wait for it, also i thought with a bigger screen it will just wear down the battery more which is a concern.
Still i could wait and see what the huawei ideos x5 is like but it's hard to get anything concrete in terms of when / how it will be available + price.

Thanks for the info Gav. I wonder if the credit could be transferred onto my current sim (or at least the number transferred to the new one), as i am currently already on orange - i guess it would be a case of transferring me old orange number over. Also someone told me a while ago that you can get the phone for £75 or something anyway if you phone them up but i dunno if they are still doing that.

edit
====
Er if you have http in your links to youtube it tries to embed the video? wtf.

H E L L O

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 09:16PM by Daniel Knott.
Date: February 24, 2011 05:17AM
K ordered it for less than £80 from phoning them up. Shall see how it is when it arrives :)

Apparently the camera and fm radio are weak areas, but then that's a price that i am willing to pay for a cheap decent phone - better to get a cheap good camera.

Anyway, shall be quite a change from my 3220 discolights.

H E L L O
Date: February 24, 2011 08:54AM
I'm going with giffgaff as soon as my unlimited net for 6 months on TMobile is up :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy