BSOD, and ATI users, and MS office issue :p

Posted by chet 
BSOD, and ATI users, and MS office issue :p
Date: February 25, 2011 06:46PM
Posted by: chet
two things:

Right, 2 times in 2 days ive had the blue screen of the death. Is there any way to save the info on it? Because my computer restarts right after...

I should also mention the problem has occured directly aftre clicking play (or load) on youtube videos from facebook. So videos that appear on my newsfeed... It says video card failure, but the rest is a bunch of numbers and sh*t. So any way to save it?

This is what Windows throws up upon restart:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80046234E0
BCP2: FFFFF88001C5AC98
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\022511-17799-01.dmp
C:\Users\Chet\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-111961-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
[go.microsoft.com]

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Secondly;

My card is a ATI radeon 5470HD Mobility. Ive just installed the latest drivers like a week ago and now I cant open the catalyst control centre. Ive googled it, and the problem has been going on for a while with ATI. I looked for some solutions for none worked for me... in the end im not so bothered about it, but has anyone else suffered the same issue? And how did you solve it?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 12:23AM by chet.
Re: Blue screen of death, and ATI users.
Date: February 25, 2011 07:45PM
Posted by: Slash
i had it with my geforce, i perform a complete scan on HD with the Kaspersky looked for the lastest drivers and it fixed it
but i suppose it could be a different procedure with ATI graphic cards
Date: February 25, 2011 08:34PM
Posted by: gav
1) Which browser are you using? Have you tried another browser?

2) If it only happens when playing Youtube videos, update to the latest Flash Player. Flash for Internet Explorer and Flash for other browsers. Google Chrome automatically gives you the latest Flash Player I believe. You can also get the latest Flash from the Adobe site, but I prefer to do it manually and know which version I've got, etc.

If that doesn't fix it, or you have the latest Flash already, you might want to try an earlier version of Flash (which are available on the FileHippo links I posted).

3) You have the latest ATI 11.2 drivers? It's sometimes a bit of a mess with the Mobility series (laptop vendors not wanting the generic drivers on their laptops... :-() but it's worth a go trying to get them from the AMD website.

4) To disable the automatic restart (in Windows 7), right-click on Computer in the Start Menu > go to Properties > Advanced System Settings > the Advanced tab > under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings > untick Automatically restart.

The numbers themselves mean sod all to pretty much everyone other than Microsoft technicians, but if you want to upload that C:\Windows\Minidump\022511-17799-01.dmp file, I'll take a look and confirm that it was a graphics driver issue (which doesn't in itself mean it's the graphics chip or drivers which are faulty, it could be anything from a Flash player issue to overheating).
Date: February 25, 2011 09:22PM
Posted by: mortal
I have had this, and the only way to read the BSOD was to photograph it as it flashed onto the screen. atikmpag.sys is the root cause afaik. My CCC stopped working as well. For now the problem seems to have fixed itself, although still no CCC, which is not really a problem for me anyway. I tried different drivers, and in the end gave up on it.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 25, 2011 09:36PM
mortal
atikmpag.sys is the root cause afaik.

As I said, it's not necessarily the reason for the crash, but it is the file which is given as the reason for failure as it's one the main driver files, so whenever the system falls over due to a task which is using the GPU, this is one of the files likely to be given as the reason (depending on what caused the system to crash).

It could be a driver error, it could be a hardware fault, it could be overheating, it could be a fluctuating power supply (less likely in laptops due to the built-in UPS, but still very possible), or it could be any of the mountain of programs which use the GPU to process information, as for many things, the GPU is far faster than the CPU (such as, as in this case, decoding Flash videos).
Date: February 25, 2011 09:50PM
[www.mediafire.com]

I hope that works Gav!

Ill update flash and see how it goes. Now that I think about it, I have suffered some browser crashes alot latley (Firefox) all to do with Flash.

I wouldnt rule over heating out either as the laptop does get rather hot!! I only recently had the time to play rf for more than 10laps. after about 10 laps the computer would slow MAJORLY then restart. I later found a BIOS update was needed and since then its been fine. Though i have had the occasional slow down since. I have also updated from dell website, and the 11.2 ATI drivres were included, but I tried again from AMD, in an attempt to get CCC to work.

edit - latley firefox has been a paid. would you recomend google chrome anyway?

edit - new problem.

flash wont download. tried a link from the one you provided, the official site, and somesite called tech spot :s!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 10:00PM by chet.
Date: February 25, 2011 10:35PM
Yeah, that worked Chet, cheers.

All it did was confirm that it was a graphics driver crash (though it doesn't tell us why), but that was expected. :)

When you say Flash won't download, what do you mean? Do you mean it won't download or it won't install? The links work fine (I've just tested them)... what message(s) do you get?

Regarding overheating, it's possible when the system isn't being stressed (ie, gaming), but it's unlikely. If, as you say, you can last 10 minutes gaming without it crashing and restarting, then it's not going to overheat while sitting in Windows. In terms of internet browsing, I think we can rule that particular cause out.

Moving onto browsers, I still love Firefox, but then for me it's been rock solid and isn't any more of a system hog than any other browser, which doesn't seem to be the case for everyone. It is a bit slow to start up on older PCs, but once it's loaded, it'll stay in memory, and will start up quickly after that, so I don't understand that particular argument. Personally, once I've loaded a browser in the morning, it tends to stay open all day, but that depends on your workflow I guess.

Still, I do keep on finding a pull towards a Chromium browser... but not Google Chrome - I'm not especially paranoid, but I don't like the idea of my browsing habits being continually fed back to California. If you want Google Chrome without the drawbacks of Google Chrome, try SRWare Iron - it is Google Chrome without the reporting home. Most, if not all Chrome plugins will work with Iron. :)

I keep getting tempted by Chromium (Iron) and then finding myself back at Firefox. Internet Explorer 9 looks to be good too, so that'll be a genuinely good choice once it goes final (it's in the final testing stage at the moment).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 10:37PM by gav.
Date: February 25, 2011 11:09PM
When i say not downloading, i literally mean, not downloading. I click the link to download, the save window opens, i click save. The download begins but stops at about 50Kb, i get no error message or anything... Ive read that non-installing could be spyware so ill run a full scan tonight and see what that does.

I have just downloaded chrome, and it seems a little cleaner but ill see how i get one with it. Didnt realize about the reporting back though!!

EDIT - Okay, ive figured that ive accumulated alot of general crap and since i have the reinstall cd's i think will do a fresh install. however one issue. I have my microsoft home and office product identifier and activation key, just no install cd :s. laptop is a dell, so i have an OS reinstall cd, and the drivers and utilities reinstall cd. Then just a peice of card with my office details on.

My plan was to reinstall and update the drivers from the website, but if I cant install office, then they'd be no use in me performing a reinstall atm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 12:22AM by chet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy