Muse?

Posted by mortal 
Muse?
Date: August 17, 2009 04:31AM
Posted by: mortal
I read a series of books ( by Stephanie Meyer) and in the liner notes of each book is 'Thanks to Muse'. What sort of band are they? What album should I be looking for? Are they any good? Basically, a review. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: Muse?
Date: August 17, 2009 04:45AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Mal just wait till Monil see's this ;)

Personally I think Absolution was there best album, followed up by Origins of Symmetry

Best song... I'd say Butterflies & Hurricanes, but there cover of Feeling Good is also awesome

Here's some live footage of them :) My mate saw them last yeah and said they were pretty special live

&feature=channel_page">
&feature=channel_page" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

&feature=related">
&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Oh and Stepanie Mayer... wasn't the Twilight series was it?

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 04:50AM by Ferrari2007.
Date: August 17, 2009 10:14AM
Posted by: harjinator
i'd say Black Holes and Revelations is the best album, followed by showbiz, origin and absolution. then again, i'm speaking as a guitarist, so it's perhaps no coincidence that the album with least guitar is my least favourite (it has its moments, just not enough)

Muse are just awesome though - been listening to the new single for more than a week on non stop repeat! and going to see them in November :)

never know how to do tags but here is Knights of Cydonia, the song i find most inspirational

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 10:21AM by harjinator.
Date: August 17, 2009 10:32AM
They don't play them on my local radio station. Otherwise I would have heard them, or heard of them for that matter. Butterflies and Hurricanes is really good, any band that has a really good piano player has won me over, and that bass riff, just love it. Would the new single be on youtube? :-)

My personal music tastes lean towards electronica. I like Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Emmerson Lake and Palmer, Vangelis, Enigma, anything with electric violin or good piano playing. World music like Indian, Lebanese and Arabic instrumental is good. Most 80's music is pretty good, except Rick Astley. ;)

Yes it was the Twilight series, (hides in shame lol) my daughter is a huge fan and lent me the books. I've seen the movie, the book was way better, although I will see the rest as they come out, I'm sure my daughter will buy them. I'd say daughter is in love with Edward. ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 17, 2009 11:25AM
Posted by: casabonka
Yup, its a struggle to see/hear Muse on Aussie TV/Radio, but they are brilliant. in the last 5 months I have listened to Black Holes and Revelations about 20 times, its a brilliant albumn.

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: August 17, 2009 11:35AM
Posted by: gareth
Knights of Cydonia (brilliant song!!) was number 1 on Triple J Hottest 100 in 2007 but you'll struggle to hear them on commercial radio. Channel 9 used it on their rugby league coverage though once - obviously an editor with taste was working on that day!
Date: August 17, 2009 11:41AM
Posted by: Monza972
Well, Muse are something of a phenomenon. I mean to work on one piece of music for 3yrs+ is exceptionally awesome to hear.

When they started through Showbiz, they were more of a Rock band at the time with segments of piano used through Sunburn and the other songs. However by the time they got to Origin of Symmetry it was all Alternative which brought out the best in them. It was piano and guitars through New Born, Feeling Good, Bliss, Space Dementia and more. Which gave them an interesting sound. And so it continued through to Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations.

This new one called The Resistance is even more of the same thing as Origin of Symmetry due to it featuring Exogenesis (that's the one piece of music that they were working on). It starts off in a powerful way with Uprising which is like a hooligan type song almost parallel to Time is Running Out.

Anyway, albums which you should be getting are all of them ;). It'll be pretty hard for you to find their singles around unless you go in search for them. Thankfully, I've found them and downloaded them since there is no wayto buy them in the shops or online.

Showbiz
Origin of Symmetry
Hullabaloo
Absolution
Blackholes and Revelations
The Resistance

Sunburn

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Showbiz

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Bliss (Live at Reading)

">

New Born (Live at Wembley)

">

Plug In Baby (live at Wembley)

">

Hypermusic

">

Hysteria (Personally, it sounds better with the Studio version)

">

Time is Running Out

">

Butterflies and Hurricanes (Live at Wembley)

">

Starlight

">

And here are the two new ones

Uprising

">

United States of Eurasia (one that people think it's queen ;))

">

and a personal favourite of mine (don't let the kids hear this ;))

">
Date: August 17, 2009 11:51AM
Good Grief!, I have to wade through all of that? I'll be here for hours lol.

Date: August 17, 2009 12:25PM
Posted by: msater
Yeah, Muse are awesome. Best album is Absolution, but O. of S. comes pretty close. The new album is going to be brilliant. Two tracks have already been released (United States of Eurasia and Uprising). United States is pretty downbeat song, sounding a bit like Queen, and Uprising is upbeat. Hard to explain, since both songs are so awesome. Plus the fact I'm rubbish at doing music reviews :)

P.S If you think Monil and the rest of the guys that have commented on this thread (the ones the like Muse, at least) are especially happy on September 14th 2009, just think Muse = new album = September 14th.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 17, 2009 02:36PM
Posted by: senninho
Muse are, IMHO, one of the best live bands in the world. I've seen them three times and each gig was awesome, especially Wembley stadium :)

Date: August 17, 2009 02:57PM
I got a chance to go to their 02 Arena gig in November and it falls right on my birthday give or take. However, my parents stopped me from going because it was "too far and at night" Annoying!
Date: August 17, 2009 03:50PM
Posted by: EC83
Oh Mal, you won't regret taking a bit of time to discover Muse!! They're one of the most musically diverse and creative bands out there at the moment, and yeah, they're awesome live as well. My favourite album is Black Holes & Revelations, followed by Absolution.

My favourite tracks are:

1. Starlight (Absolutely awesome, I love the tune and how the lyrics compliment it)
2. Knights Of Cydonia
3. Hysteria
4. Plug In Baby
5. Hyper Music

Also, for convenience, here's their Wiki: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: August 17, 2009 03:58PM
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh Mal, you won't regret taking a bit of time to
> discover Muse!! They're one of the most musically
> diverse and creative bands out there at the
> moment, and yeah, they're awesome live as well. My
> favourite album is Black Holes & Revelations,
> followed by Absolution.
>
> My favourite tracks are:
>
> 1. Starlight (Absolutely awesome, I love the tune
> and how the lyrics compliment it)
> 2. Knights Of Cydonia
> 3. Hysteria
> 4. Plug In Baby
> 5. Hyper Music
>
> Also, for convenience, here's their Wiki:
> [en.wikipedia.org])

Ever heard the B-Side to Starlight?

It's called Easily and is my favourite song of them all

">
Date: August 17, 2009 04:11PM
Posted by: The Lopper
To be honest I was never convinced by their albums, but my God are they good live. I went to see them when they were playing with Kasabian, I literally went to see Kasabian, and - Jesus! :O The light-show in particular was orgasmical, particularly where I saw them, Marlay Park in Dublin, surrounded by trees.

Other than that, your man's singing is a bit of an acquired taste and I'm afraid I just don't have that taste! I still can't really listen to the albums I have, although I've tried.

Anyways - someone mentioned Vangelis. YES! Been YouTubing him a lot in the last week! :)
Date: August 17, 2009 04:17PM
Posted by: EC83
No I hadn't heard Easily as it happens, I just tend to buy the albums, so don't tend to hear the non-album B-sides unless I've listened to the band's back catalogue on Spotify or whatever. Cheers for posting that!

Good song, pretty deep and contemplative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 04:18PM by EC83.
Date: August 17, 2009 04:21PM
EC83 Wrote:
> No I hadn't heard Easily as it happens, I just
> tend to buy the albums, so don't tend to hear the
> non-album B-sides unless I've listened to the
> band's back catalogue on Spotify or whatever.
> Cheers for posting that!
>
> Good song, pretty deep and contemplative.

I've scoured the whole of the interweb finding all their singles and b-sides. By god they're good!
Date: August 17, 2009 04:24PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Monil mate do you have HAARP and Hullabaloo Soundtrack?

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: August 17, 2009 04:59PM
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> Monil mate do you have HAARP and Hullabaloo
> Soundtrack?

Got all of them :D
Date: August 17, 2009 05:10PM
Posted by: smorr
Weeeheheeellllll What kinda thread do we have here?

I blame that GP4 carpack 2004 (that addon thing from that dutch site back in the day.... what was it) that had "Time is Running Out" on it- been hooked since.

But, OoS is BY FAR the BEST album from them. And my favorite song from them is also BY FAR Citizen Erased. It's just... Guitarmagasm. Badass riff, Typical Bellamy solo, just... Awesomeness in a box.

I am quite dissappointed by the name for the next album though - Coulda atleast used La Resistance (With a thick french accent) ;) Should be pretty darn good though, especially if this orchestral journey is as good as it's claimed to be.

@Ferrari2007-

Thanks for reminding me to re-rip HAARP :)

The Flanker is gone. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 05:13PM by smorr.
Date: August 17, 2009 05:11PM
Posted by: Guimengo
As I said here before I discovered Muse thanks to FIFA 07, with Supermassive Black Holes. I knew about them but was stubborn to look for stuff and listen ;).

From then on I became a huge fan and absolutely love Starlight, Bliss, Hysteria, Invincible, Supermassive Black Hole, Map of the Problematique, Knights of Cydonia,... I got to see them live last year and while they sound awesome and put on a great show, I feel very little crowd dynamics/ improvising. To me that, and not putting Bliss on the HAARP DVD, are their only downsides ;).

Check out the Bliss live at Reading posted by Monil, absolute heaven.

Edit: And living in the US sucks if you're a Muse fan, to sum it up! Be it for DVDs (none except HAARP when you find it) or radio play.

Edit 2: Also check Blackout, has a nice somber tune to it. Take a Bow may seem fitting to you as well ;).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 05:15PM by Guimengo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy