GPGames.org Go Kart - Restoration Project

Posted by danm 
GPGames.org Go Kart - Restoration Project
Date: July 15, 2009 11:46PM
Posted by: danm
Hey Guys,

I totally forgot we had a Kart at the bottom of the garden in the garage, unraced by us since it was bought second hand (the other guys used it, but not much) about 8 years ago now. It starts up, but I think we never got the brake fuel sorted and cables replaced so it went back into hiding.

My dad recently said if I was prepared to clean it up I could sell it and keep the cash.

On looking at it, I have wheeled her out of hiding and shes currently tarped up ready for a big gutting out tomorrow, and shes dirty.

Like, really awfully neglected.

Obviosuly she's past her sell by date for a serious Karter, but for everyone else, its a perfect fun kart.

Now I have NO idea other than the basics of what it is, and I know theres a few Kart guys here that could help me out. It would be much appreciated!

I will post some pics tomorrow morning, but this is being posted now to do the rounds and see if people are able to point me further.

I will scour some kart forums later also.

In short, its a Tony Kart Chassis from the late 90's at the very latest, if not earlier.

I thought it may have been a Tony Kart Extreme from 98.... but I know little lol, only by photos. It has what I think is a 100cc rotax engine.

It has been modified and a clutch has been added, so pretty neat that its unstallable if its lost.

I forgot the purpose of this post by now, but yes, stay tuned!

And... should anyone be interested and it does get up running, I may have to sell it (which WAS the intention, but I have a feeling if it works it will be kept lol!)

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 11:41PM by danm.
Re: Tony Kart Strip Down/Cleaning
Date: July 16, 2009 01:08AM
Posted by: bazza_racer
I've worked for a kart team in the past and know my way round pretty well. I'll help if I can.
the best place is to probably post some pics up on www.karting.co.uk someone there will definately be able to tell you what chassis and engine it is.
Good luck!

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Date: July 16, 2009 06:12AM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Your kart just stucked their in your garage, while im terribly wanted any kart to compete on!

Date: July 16, 2009 07:18AM
Posted by: Peat
Why don't you get it up together and take it out on the track? Go on Dan!

Date: July 16, 2009 10:19AM
Posted by: NickKK
Yeah, make it the GPGames forum kart :D

Date: July 16, 2009 11:47AM
Peat I was thinking that! Are you still near to me, or you miles out?

I managed to convince my dad that if it works, we are gonna take it to Rye house... which I know full well if it does fix up nicely, he won't want to sell it lol.

Even cooler, my neighbour actually use to race Rotax Karts competitively so knows all about them, and my neighbour opposite also races (both old guys) and has one of those Caterham kit car alternatives and a Lotus Elise.

But it is quite an old kart and is nothing near the standards of much else. More of a fun thing than anything!

Date: July 16, 2009 12:57PM
Posted by: chet
Im with Peat and Nick!

We have a forum cat, a forum gay (gui) and its only proper we have a forum kart :D

Get it cleaned up and take it for a spin! But yeah it should be a crime that you've had it in your garage and not driven. You could've be the one replacing Bourdais next weekend ;)!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 16, 2009 04:44PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Let me clarify to younger forum members that gay = happy, in its original meaning of the word ;).

Danny boy! Clean that thing up then make your own decals! Put a GPG sticker, a cartoonish big-headed drawing of yourself around the area where the number goes on the steering wheel bar cover, and then put adhesives to market yourself and your own small enterprises! You know what I'm talking about, I am not disclosing sensitive info :P.
Date: July 16, 2009 08:37PM
Haha!

I have no problems in making it the 'GPGames.org Kart', infact I think it might be pretty awesome if we could get someone/run a little challenge to design some stickers for it on the forum. I am sure there are people here in the know who might even be able to get them done for much lower costs, or better yet, free!

It was originally stickered up as 'Team O'Neil' whoever/whatever they are. They could be a generic parts'suppliers sticker, or an actual team, I have no idea. The underside of the aluminium footplate has something along the lines of 'Essex Racing' or alike, I forgot exactly. There is also a 'Hoddesdon Karting Club' sticker. Again, not a sausage on what that is, lol.

The grimey smearing is a mix of dirty old oil rag residue and grease, it is going to be removed tommorow and just soaking up the crap, so don't worry that it looks worse than it is! It was white earlier.... oops!

So yes, today I have spent a few hours laying it out and taking it apart. Bear in mind I have NO engineering knowledge and ZERO brain power on the parts of cars/engines and whatnot. This is going to be done by reading as I go, so just to warn in advance of being a novice!

As you can see, the Kart is in pretty knackered condition. It isn't trashed, but it isnt new either.

That said, I ran a quick scrub up with some Gunk, Petrol and WD40 and it is soaking overnight to loosen up the crap everywhere. Already from what it was, its a billion percent improvement.

PS the chairs arent part of the trailer... thats just damn good photography lmao.

The electric starter battery is fookered, and my dad is out tomorrow to get a new battery and some 2-stroke petrol and oil.

He is also adament we can replace the hardened brake fluid and fuel tubes with some homemade diy air-conditioning liquid tubing. Should do the same, all the original fixings match.

The engine, which the neighbour thought was a Rotax head, actually is stamped up as a PRD. From googling around, it seems PRD is a Taiwanese engine supplier that also fits Yamaha pieces (allegedly). I have no idea what this is good/bad for, but from the pics I'd appreciate any more info on what it is. I cannot see any more markings, but I have yet to clean the engine up or take it apart. Internally, it is as good as new, just the outside has oxidised from lack of use and care. We believe it is a 100cc engine, but that will be looked into...

As mentioned before, a clutch has been added, so this makes it a bit mega for the novice who won't stall it.

The chassis is a Tony Kart CIK 011 (plus serial). I haven't got much more info on how old this is, pointers again appreciated!

There's a lot of patchy rusting on the frame, small bits here and there. A few chips on the front and back, that is it. Considering we are only using this as a 'fun kart' I am not sure if it is worth doing much else to it. Powder coating it is for the pros, which is not us, lol and costs a bomb.. I was thinking just for the sake of preventing further rusting to hand spray it over again, the entire chassis once clean. Something like black, lol. Dooooom! Any tips or advice? Is it worth it?

The pics indicate the level of grime the kart has. It looks a lot worse, and most of the visible muck is actually layers of oil and grease that came off with a hand scrubber in minutes. I am totally scrubbing the chassis over the next two days.

The smaller nuts and bolts are currently suspended in a jar of 1:1 Gunk and Petrol to clean them, and they too will get scrubbed.

A lot of the washers are rusted so I think it best if we replace those, but the nuts and bolts look like they will suffice. Would it be worth it replacing these?

The red silicon rubbery 'plunger' cover on the brake cables is also split - doesn't seem like it will cause an issue, besides aesthetics. The same also for the red plastic spacer between the brake cables, something has snapped, but as it doesn't move we don't think it is a big worry. We could be wrong LOL!

Overall, quite a lot of work to be done, but we aren't racing it for blood and glory, just a bit of fun.

Oohh also on a side note, when we do get it fixed up, I did say we were going to take it out. Rye house is one option, as it is near, but we could be open to other places not too far from Watford. If any of you GPGers are local or live almost close it might be fun to get in touch with me and we could make a little GPG event out of it. You guys would be welcome to have a go of my kart... if I like you. :P

This entire post will be pasted on a kart forum, so excuse me if I am being generic and not related to this forum!

Making a list as I go of clearly broken/damaged pieces. The first being the rubber bung (left) on this air filter. I am sure a spot of googling will help me out, and most likely ebaying second hand bits = cheap 'n cheerful! :)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 09:01PM by danm.
Date: July 16, 2009 09:23PM
If the kart project fails just attach the chairs to the trailer, and the kart upfront pulling it. Think of it as a fancy rickshaw ;).

And I am sure Enjoi would be able to come up with something awesome! No pressure :p.
Date: July 16, 2009 11:34PM
Posted by: chet
May I ask what spares you got? Such as chains?

Looks like it will be a pretty fun project, and more fun at the end :D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 16, 2009 11:40PM
No spares mr chetson, that is all it came with!

Re: GPGames.org Go Kart - Restoration Project
Date: July 23, 2009 01:17AM
Posted by: Naboo
i am quite interested in this

"Arguing on the internet is like taking part in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you're still retarded"
Date: July 23, 2009 01:30AM
Posted by: NickKK
I've gotten into anodizing aluminium lately as well so I can anodize small to medium parts in red,green,blue, yellow (gold-ish) and purple.

Date: July 23, 2009 04:03AM
ok guys its going good so far, an engineering mate of mine (yes, the cod roe party popper aqquaintance one in the flatmates thread lol) is helping me strip the engine and cleaning the bigger parts down of oxidisation and cobwebs. haha.

were also making a list of bits.

does anyone know/have karting buddies with any links to second hand spares?

currently after a few rubber washers, some self locking nuts and bolts (m6 i think), possibly some replacement exhaust holding springs (long ones) and the rubber bung holding the carburettor to the air filter, the black bung plug. (otherwise gotta buy of ebay/online store and wait ages or drive 35 miles away).

second hand set of spare wheels might also be of use, if price isn't too bad!

ill post pics of specifics tonight!

many thanks in advance! :)

Date: July 23, 2009 04:14AM
Danny-Kidnosaurus, I've messaged you on MSN a name that may be helpful, he's ks in these forums!

I thought of another "sponsor": AbbyPower Parts ;)
Date: July 23, 2009 04:44PM
Posted by: Naboo
Peniston Oils :P

"Arguing on the internet is like taking part in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you're still retarded"
Its a change to see something to do with karting on here :)

Ill be intrested to see how this goes, seeing as i do karting myself.

Season 1 Team Orange: 4 Wins (Monaco, Germany, Interlagos, Malaysia)

Season 2 Senninha/Team Shadow: 2 Wins (Bahrain, Monaco) Both With Team Shadow.

Season 3 Team Shadow: 1 Pole (Nurburgring)

Season 4 Team Shadow: Hasn't Started Yet!
Date: July 27, 2009 12:15AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
The kart looks like a late 90's/early 00 Tonykart from the parts around it, the O'Neil Racing stickers make sense as I believe they were the equivilant of the now 'factory' UK team Strawberry Racing. (O'Neil karts make an appearance in the old Super 1 Karting game if anyone remembers that.)

For spares, I see someone posted UK Karting... that is the best place for UK kart spares (last time I checked).
Date: August 22, 2009 12:25PM
just a little update, im going to take it out of the shed and carry on the cleaning today. a lot has been tidied up already and looks much better than it did. sadly i havent had as much time as I thought to spend cleaning it up, but alas today is one of those free times! :)

probably be able to start piecing it back together this afternoon as well. happy days!.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy