Computer Has Died :(

Posted by mika19b 
Computer Has Died :(
Date: August 24, 2009 05:11PM
Posted by: mika19b
Hello guys,

You might have seen me getting advice on here about upgrading my PC, well it might be happening sooner than I planned :(

Was using my PC last night when all of a sudden it just reset itself, since then it won't boot. All I get is one beep that doesn't stop and all the fans are at 100% :/

I have removed and re-seated everything and still the same. Could it be the Mobo has failed or the PSU has blown and taken something out with it?

Specs are:

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ "Black Edition" @ 3.0GHZ
Gigabyte GA-MA700-DS3
4GB DDR2 800MHZ
ATI Radeon 4870 512MB
250GB Samsung Hard Drive
650watt OCZ PSU
Windows Vista Home Premium X64 SP2
Samsung DVD-RW.

Any help would be great!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2009 06:12PM by mika19b.
Re: Computer Has Died :(
Date: August 24, 2009 05:40PM
Posted by: gav
Nothing on the screen at all during boot?

Generally a continuous beep is one of 2 things: Dead RAM or graphics card - usually the former.

Try taking all the RAM out - do you get a different beep? Stick some RAM back in and remove the graphics card. Different again?

Finally, stick the graphics card back in and try only 1 stick of RAM. If there's still no luck, try another stick in a different slot.
Date: August 24, 2009 06:40PM
Yep nothing on screen at all.

Just tried your advice, results:

All Ram out with Video: one beep, about 10 seconds then another beep, repeats over and over again.
All Ram out without Video: one beep, about 10 seconds then another beep, repeats over and over again.
One Ram Stick in with video: one beep, about 10 seconds then another beep, repeats over and over again.
One Ram Stick in without video: one beep, about 10 seconds then another beep, repeats over and over again.

One long beep with everything all in still.

Rather confused.com over this :/
Date: August 24, 2009 06:55PM
Tried a different stick of RAM in another slot?
Date: August 24, 2009 11:39PM
Yep I tried my Dads Ram in all the slots, tried a diffrent video card. Nothing.

Still wont boot ;/
Date: August 25, 2009 11:15AM
Yeah... that makes no sense at all.

So RAM + video card = 1 continuous beep
RAM - video card = 1 short beep
Videocard - RAM - 1 short beep

Right...

Is this with the new CPU or is that the old one?

If it's the old CPU have you removed it recently? Try taking it out and making sure no pins are bent or anything like that. Just reseating it might do the trick - likewise make sure the graphics card and RAM are fully seated - sometimes it takes a bit of force to get them in.

Try resetting the CMOS - there may be a button on the motherboard, but the motherboard manual will tell you how to go about it. I seriously doubt it's that, but it's worth a go before you go to the effort of returning.

Did you get it all from the 1 supplier? If so, I'd ask if you could send the entire case back (take out the CPU heatsink and graphics card and package them separately or they could snap off in transit) and ask them to test it themselves. If they refuse, just send them the motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card (the motherboard carries the memory lanes and PCIe chip while the CPU has the memory controller on it). The absolute minimum to send should be the RAM and graphics card.
Date: August 25, 2009 12:53PM
Posted by: Willb
Are we sure this is still in warranty Gav?

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: August 25, 2009 01:24PM
Good point. Depends on the part. Most RAM has a huge warranty (10 years to a lifetime). The graphics card depends on the manufacturer. Companies like Scan would still normally test them if one of the components is faulty - though if the dodgy component is out of warranty you'd probably get charged the postage.

Worst case - arrange delivery and collection from me and I'll test the lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 01:25PM by gav.
Date: August 25, 2009 02:23PM
Posted by: Morbid
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Worst case - arrange delivery and collection from
> me and I'll test the lot.

That is a pretty sweet offer.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: September 01, 2009 08:54AM
Posted by: Willb
That is indeed a very generous offer :)

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy