Computer build advice

Posted by Hologide 
Re: Computer build advice
Date: February 07, 2009 08:33PM
Posted by: mika19b

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 12:21AM by mika19b.
Date: February 07, 2009 08:41PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Can the lot of you not just grow up? I'm on here to read technical stuff, not to watch a bitch-fest.

[Website]
Date: February 07, 2009 08:43PM
Ferrari_Fuhrer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can the lot of you not just grow up? I'm on here
> to read technical stuff, not to watch a
> bitch-fest.

I have been trying to get this back on topic but J-C just comes back everytime!

Best thing to do is just lock this thread.
Date: February 07, 2009 08:46PM
Posted by: J-C
mika19b Wrote:
> Ferrari_Fuhrer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Can the lot of you not just grow up? I'm on
> here
> > to read technical stuff, not to watch a
> > bitch-fest.
>
> I have been trying to get this back on topic but
> J-C just comes back everytime!
>
> Best thing to do is just lock this thread.

The bitch fest you provoked it.
And frankly now i think you did that on purpose.
Ill come to you everytime you wright something against me,
hope you realize that...

07 No Tsm Track Pack__GPGSL08 Mod__range">97 TeamArt
Tutorial how to compile a No Csm Mod
Date: February 07, 2009 08:50PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 12:21AM by mika19b.
Date: February 07, 2009 09:00PM
Posted by: J-C
Content has been removed from this post because it does not comply with our forum rules.

07 No Tsm Track Pack__GPGSL08 Mod__range">97 TeamArt
Tutorial how to compile a No Csm Mod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 10:04PM by Locke Cole.
Date: February 08, 2009 01:45PM
Posted by: sasjag

(yes,i went with a classic)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: February 08, 2009 03:01PM
Ahh the original serious cat i see ;)
Date: February 08, 2009 03:09PM
Posted by: Nickv
Bloody hell, how old you? 5? To ask for your account to be deleted because people don't agree (yes, it's disagreeing, not attacking nor flaming, like you claim it to be) is outright childish. Life consists of people who don't agree with you. In the big peoples world the only thing you get is disagreeing people. Been too much on the overclockers forum instead of the big peoples world perhaps?

If someone doesn't agree with you, you can either try to convince the other or do nothing and move on. You thought you were getting flamed and went all shouting. And then you quickly run away and ask for your account to be deleted. If that's your attitude, you're gonna get a tough life.
Date: February 08, 2009 04:12PM
Posted by: Hologide
Blimey, looks like this thread has generated some response over the weekend!

Thanks for the serious on topic replies guys, all useful to me :)

I've been thinking a little bit, and i am largely flexible. I could basically spend up to £1000 on this machine, but as a student I was hoping to keep some of that in reserve as a "nights out" fund :D

Then again I was also thinking, that as a physics student my night out fund may not get that much usage... :-\

What I've come to the conclusion of is that I would like to invest the bulk of my money into the parts which will be harder to upgrade in the future - mobo, processor, hard drive etc... and, for now at least, tag on the other components like RAM, monitor etc on the cheap for now and upgrade them properly over summer once I've figured out my loan budget for next year.

A couple of components that caught my eye on scan.co.uk were :

[www.scan.co.uk]

although I am rather dubious about the 80GB memory capacity claim...

[www.scan.co.uk]

I'm not aware of any compatibility issues with those two, I was just hoping for some input regarding their value for money, any possible alternatives. Also, i'm not sure about what graphics cards a "hot" at the moment, so if anyone could reccomend one in the <£100 range that would be appreciated.

Thanks people, as mentioned above I'm finding building my first computer to be a bit of taxing process :)
Date: February 08, 2009 04:23PM
Posted by: gav
Glad we're back on topic.

There's no point in looking at such an expensive board unless you're going to start overclocking, and if you are, there are better options anyway. And of course, yes, that 80gb memory limit is a typo - it will mean 8gb.

If you're looking at a £100 CPU, you're getting to the area where quad-core starts to look attractive. That depends on your usage though - anything which can use multiple cores will be far faster on any quad-core, but if what you use most is single-core, then a dual-core CPU running at a faster clock speed will be better.

Have to say that one of the new AMD Phenom II quad-cores would be quite tasty value for money if you do spend more on a quad.
Date: February 08, 2009 04:25PM
*Beaten By Gav!*

As for a graphics card can you go to £112?

If you can you should get a ATI Radeon 4850 (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146705)

I have the 4870 and it plays 99% of all my games maxed out with AA/AF - the 4850 isn't too far behind :)

If you can't strech to that though there is a ATI Radeon 4830 for around £90.

Hope that help's, im sure Gav will probably find you a better deal though ;)

Also the AMD Phenom II that Gav mentioned is on my upgrade list too :P

Will replace my Athlon X2 - they are much better than the old Phenom's :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 04:27PM by mika19b.
Date: February 08, 2009 04:36PM
So the common concensus is that if I were to say, invest £200 in a CPU and mobo - I'm best of putting the chunk of that into my CPU?

I'm sure I'll use quad core. I'll be running simulations and precidtive models over the next few years so I'm sure multiple cores will be of benefit to me

looking online the Phenom II seems to be starting at approx. £150? That's slightly above where i was looking at, but if it really is worth the money for the performance you get, I can stretch that far. Thanks for the tips on the graphics too.

Oh yeah, the phenom is quite a power sucker too, isn't it? Guess I'll need to add some wattage to the PSU as well?
Date: February 08, 2009 05:00PM
Posted by: gav
The motherboard doesn't make the system fast or slow. So long as it does what's expected of it and fits what you want, then it's good enough. Just make sure it takes the CPU you're intending to install.

If you're going quad, you'll probably want something a bit beefier, yeah.

Agreed with what Mika said about the graphics. HD 4850 is the sweet spot at the moment.
Date: February 08, 2009 05:46PM

Okay, this is where I'm at now. To be honest, I'm at the point where I feel ready to order. I'll probably do it tomorrow sometime, I should have free postage on Scan by then. I'm going to source out a monitor from elsewhere, possibly second hand, or else the cost might start getting out of hand. Can always make a new monitor a bday present or something like that :)

So my question is - are they any obvious bottlenecks on that system?

Btw, I looked into the Windows 7 idea - I'm going to pass on it because it seems as though there will be a point in time where the beta will expire and I'll have to get an OS, whether it be 7, Vista, XP etc...

I already run Vista 32 bit and everything works perfectly. I'll save myself the hassle and stick with what I know, I think.
Date: February 08, 2009 05:48PM
Posted by: Fincent
I had the 4850 recommended by none other than gav himself and I've never had any problems with it, runs games absolutely perfectly for me! Full settings, 1920x1200 at over 40fps, no stutters :) and we're talking about games such as X3: Terran Conflict and Call Of Duty 4 here. Check out these screenies from my very own custom PC thread if you need any more convincing ;)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: February 08, 2009 06:01PM
Hologide Wrote:
> [i44.tinypic.com]
>
> Okay, this is where I'm at now. To be honest, I'm
> at the point where I feel ready to order. I'll
> probably do it tomorrow sometime, I should have
> free postage on Scan by then. I'm going to source
> out a monitor from elsewhere, possibly second
> hand, or else the cost might start getting out of
> hand. Can always make a new monitor a bday present
> or something like that :)

Look's good mate, there's only a couple of thing's im not sure on.

1) Im not sure on that Silverstone PSU unless Gav recommended it? I dunno if there a decent brand or not!
2) If i were you i would pay a little bit more money now and get yourself a 4GB memory kit - especially as your going down the 64bit Vista route.

Up to you though, i can't see any real bottle necking there :)
Date: February 08, 2009 06:07PM
Erm... it's 2 x 2GB. Unless you mean a single 4GB option?

I read an online review on the Silverstone PSU. Pretty positive in terms of performance. I've heard some horror stories about PSUs blowing up and the like so I'm slightly paranoid about going budget on that one.

Those screenshots were pretty nice!
Date: February 08, 2009 06:11PM
Hologide Wrote:
> Erm... it's 2 x 2GB. Unless you mean a single 4GB
> option?
>
> I read an online review on the Silverstone PSU.
> Pretty positive in terms of performance. I've
> heard some horror stories about PSUs blowing up
> and the like so I'm slightly paranoid about going
> budget on that one.
>
> Those screenshots were pretty nice!

Sorry mate i didn't see it was 2x 2GB! :)
Date: February 08, 2009 06:14PM
Its cool!

On a quick side note - I dont need to much kit to put it together do i? Just a few hours, a decent screwdriver and a means of grounding myself?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy