Sickening ?

Posted by chet 
Sickening ?
Date: December 24, 2008 01:49AM
Posted by: chet
Im going to post it here because its not just F1 but alot of sports...

We all read the comments from the Ferrari boss about cutting costs and mentioned driver retainers will be on the list also... Well Massa doesnt seem too fond of the idea...

[www.autosport.com]

If theres one thing that really annoys me about the world its that F1 drivers and Footballers are the biggest waste of money known to history!!

How many poeple have lost jobs in this economic crisis? How many poeple on here have had hours cut back because of the crisis?

There are people losing jobs everyday, and familys struggling to pay the bills. On Autosport forums I used the recently injured Fabregas as an example. He is out for 4months and he will still be collecting his massive retainer.. It will probably be cut a little because of injury but he is doing nothing and collects more money than any of us can even begin to imagine.

Then theres the story of Massa raising $164,000 for UNICEF. Well done to him but does that not seem too little for someone who earns more than that each race?? We hardly hear enough of these sportsman doing charity work.

Its funny how so much money is wasted in some areas and then how little money there is in others. NASCAR and American football are the same I beleive. Its really annoyed me that Massa is against the idea.

edit - How could I forget the Williams test mechancs laid off also ??!

How many would there be? Lets say 20?? All on £40,000 for example, thats £800,000...

Could Williams simply not cut the pay of Rosberg ( which is bound to be over £5mill ) and move the employees somewhere else in the team? How Massa complain about this when there are poeple who help him to victory who could lose their jobs?

edit - my fiqures are probably completley wrong!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2008 01:53AM by chet.
Re: Sickening ?
Date: December 24, 2008 02:01AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Well don't miss his point - his wage is very little compared to the whole investment Ferrari makes. Massa probably gets paid around 8 million or so a year, does that equate to what about 2.25% of Ferrari's budget? Kimi gets much more, Alonso gets almost Schumi-like numbers. Yes these people are paid a lot of money but a lot of that gets back to the team (F1 or football) through marketing and actual results.

Edit: Cesc Fábregas got injured serving the club he works for, right? Work-related injury. Even though he isn't playing to help Arsenal win games and end up better in the table and get more money, he is still selling Arsenal shirts. People wouldn't be paid so much money if there wasn't some sort of return.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2008 04:41AM by Guimengo.
Date: December 24, 2008 04:24AM
Posted by: S75351
I think F1 drivers should b payed a bit of money ($10m) but $50m is a bit excessive...

Date: December 24, 2008 09:17AM
Posted by: Vader
Welcome to capitalism. Amen.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2008 10:47AM
Posted by: Nickv
F1 drivers are paid a lot because they do something only very little people can. If everybody could drive as well as F1 drivers, they wouldn't earn 20m a year. That's why siting behind the till won't make you millionaire because anybody can do that.

Also, would you be happy if your salary would be cut? No of course not, so why should Massa? Because he earns 20m per year? His contract says what he will earn. It's not strange that if LdM wants to cut the salary back, Massa doesn't agree because according to Massas contract, his salary is XXX so that's what he wants to see on his pay check at the end of the month.
Date: December 24, 2008 11:07AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Look, theres a thing, you can say ok kimi/massa, well pay you less. But what if another team, then comes up with a contract, which gives them back their old salary, lets say bmw. You might be having the risk losing your drivers.

Date: December 24, 2008 11:38AM
Posted by: gav
I think they're generally quite naive people. They've had so little taste of life outside of the paddock or field that they're blinkered as to what reality is. Same reason why so many footballers lose the plot when they've retired.

In terms of motorsport, many of them and their families have been through the mill pushing to get to the top. Anthony "10 jobs" Hamilton being a recent example, Mansell being an actual worthy example that I know of. They've gone through a situation that some of us can't yet imagine. They know what it's about. Unfortunately, when the pay cheques starting coming, they come bigtime, and they tend to lose the plot a bit, their grip on reality drifting further.

I can see Massa's own point, as as Gui says, he gets peanuts compared to other drivers in top teams - fairly you'd argue having seen him up to 2008. If Ferrari are paying Kimi 3/4 more, then Massa has every right to say "@#$%& this!" in my opinion.

It would be nice for them to give a bit back to those supporting them, but from another perspective, they've maybe gone through it themselves, and it's not their jobs to bail out a poorly managed situation.
Date: December 24, 2008 01:38PM
Posted by: MrMan
Can't really blame the drivers too much for what they get paid. You get offered $5m, you're not going to say no.

It makes sense that the idea of a salary cap has cropped up, but you'd have to enforce the salary cap across the whole team, not just the drivers. But I doubt it'd be easy enforcing such a rule as the teams could just offer stupidly high performance bonuses (Finish the race and you get $50,000 mebbes).

Sports stars do alot more for charity than is publicised, just because its not in the papers doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Although you can argue that when they do give, that they could give more given their salary. I believe Arsenal staff and players donated a days wages to charity which was around £200,000. Most sports stars have their own charity who they do work for, so they're not all money grabbing gits. Although there are alot of them out there.

Date: December 24, 2008 02:34PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
i think f1 drivers should get paid the national minimum wage tbh. i mean aside from the occasional test day which is basically volountary work, they only do 2 split shifts over saturday and sunday. ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: December 24, 2008 02:46PM
Posted by: chet
LOL!

Also, would you be happy if your salary would be cut? No of course not, so why should Massa? Because he earns 20m per year? His contract says what he will earn. It's not strange that if LdM wants to cut the salary back, Massa doesn't agree because according to Massas contract, his salary is XXX so that's what he wants to see on his pay check at the end of the month.

Difference between me and Massa is the last few jobs ive had have been on minium wage and he earns more than me doing a few laps ;-). There are plenty of young drivers who can be just as quick who are willing to pay or race for minimum pay.

It makes sense that the idea of a salary cap has cropped up, but you'd have to enforce the salary cap across the whole team, not just the drivers

The team? Funny thing about motorsport, it's expensive and all in all its huge money making/losing business... Its automatically thought of that the pay would be huge also. Unless your high up in the team then your pay is low. Very low. Long hours, low pay. You dont join motorsport because of pay, you do it because you love it. The drivers are over-paid.

I understand alot of them do charity work, Webber and Shumacher being the ones ive known to be the most 'generous' but for example Kimi, when have you ever heard of him doing something with his money to help others.

Ive not seen anything to suggest these drivers or sportstarrs are worth more than £5mil / year. Not one of them. I said it a few days ago, the drivers are perhaps the biggest variable in the sport.

Theres that young racing driver, forgot his name but maybe one of you can remember... he pledged to donate 40% of his earnings to charity...

I know they earn their money, like we do, but there is no justification these days to earn as much as they do. I used to believe it was life threatening. Then again its just as dangerous walking out your front door!!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 24, 2008 03:28PM
Posted by: Damas
What about when Kimi paid $200,000 for Sharon Stone's Corvette that he didn't even want? That was for charity, lol :P

Also check this out (opened my eye's TBH) [formula1unlimited.blogspot.com]

-"Charity: Donates a lot to charity especially children's charities"-

Although over all I do agree with you Chet. I personally think So called "Sports Stars" are over paid for the amount of "work" they do
Date: December 24, 2008 03:48PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Thats the thing, people say driving some laps, but you must do sponsor events, ALOT and you must train about every day, there are things in your contract your not allowed to do, and everyone reconizes you, which doesn't look to bad in the first place, but later on I think it gets very very annoying.

Date: December 24, 2008 04:00PM
Actually they just earn what they are worth market-wise, not more not less. If people stop watching F1 and their market prices will sink and they'll earn less money. It's the same with movie or music stars.

Actually it's irrelevant to ask "why they earn so much money" because in a capitalistic system it's not the "why" that counts, but the "how much".

There is nothing you can do about it apart from fighting the system as such. Fighting the capitalistic system, however, has somehow become a synonym for "supporting terrorism".

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2008 04:18PM
The world has been hit by many companies mismanagement issues but Ferrari caters to a very elitist group of people and I doubt that they'll be affected, also. Not everyone is in a crisis.
Date: December 24, 2008 10:06PM
Posted by: airefresco
I agree with Chet on this matter. However, there is the consideration that it´s only a short career. Drivers like Massa for example will only earn that sort of money (let´s say 5mill) for no more than 10 years. So where regular people will work for around 45-50 years, Massa gets 5mill for 10 years, a total earnings of 50mil over 50 years that´s "only" 1mill a year, which doesn´t seem as bad. Same goes for footballers too. Very few do anything after they stop playing professionally.
Date: December 24, 2008 10:26PM
airefresco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Chet on this matter. However, there
> is the consideration that it´s only a short
> career. Drivers like Massa for example will only
> earn that sort of money (let´s say 5mill) for no
> more than 10 years. So where regular people will
> work for around 45-50 years, Massa gets 5mill for
> 10 years, a total earnings of 50mil over 50 years
> that´s "only" 1mill a year, which doesn´t seem
> as bad. Same goes for footballers too. Very few
> do anything after they stop playing
> professionally.

You miss the point - a short career is no reason for high vages. Market value, however, is.

All you people who watch F1, discuss it over the internet, go to races, buy merchandize or make other people interested in it rais ethe market value of the sport and thus the wages of drivers. They simply get "so much" money because they can get it. It won't be otherwise an d complaining about it is every bit as futile as to say "It's unfair that the sun is up during daytime when it's bright already and not in the night when you really need it."

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 24, 2008 11:05PM
Posted by: Nickv
Drivers don't earn a lot because their carreers are short, drivers' carreers are short because they earn a lot.
Date: December 24, 2008 11:28PM
Posted by: J i m
That's a lame generalisation when you consider that you could quite easily bung 1 million in the bank and live off the interest for the rest of your life.
Date: December 25, 2008 02:38AM
People shouldn't forget - for every 1 driver making 10 million, there are thousands paying to drive. Same goes for football, millions make 2,000 a month or less
Date: December 25, 2008 05:42PM
Posted by: MarcLister
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i think f1 drivers should get paid the national
> minimum wage tbh. i mean aside from the occasional
> test day which is basically volountary work, they
> only do 2 split shifts over saturday and sunday.
> ;)

It wouldn't be Christmas..... ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy