Vista Ultimate 32+64 £40.95

Posted by danm 
Re: Vista Ultimate 32+64 £40.95
Date: November 10, 2008 06:16PM
Posted by: Willb
Also, if your uni is a MSDN Academic Alliance parter you can get a whole host of microsofts stuff for free. (However this may only be for computing / electroincs students, can someone confirm this?)

I have Server 2008 Enterprise on our home server from this, as well as XP Pro, Vista Business, the Expressions suite, SQL server and almost anything else you want :)

Its awesome ;-).

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: November 10, 2008 06:19PM
Posted by: gav
Willb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, if your uni is a MSDN Academic Alliance
> parter you can get a whole host of microsofts
> stuff for free. (However this may only be for
> computing / electroincs students, can someone
> confirm this?)

Though strictly speaking the license only allows you to test and play with things, and you certainly aren't allowed to use any software for commercial purposes.
Date: November 10, 2008 06:58PM
Posted by: danm
yeah they do give you a LOT of freebies is your uni is a member of the MSDN Academic Alliance.

my little brother does games programming and the amount of stuff hes managed to get given, just for doing a geeky course is awesome.

mind you, youd have to do as course like that or be very knowledgable aka a super geek to pretty much use the stuff they give. to the average joe like myself, its straight over my head, and wouldnt have a use for some software.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 10, 2008 07:11PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
What does the vista "upgrade edition" thing mean? And can I get it now and use it when I actually have a pc that it would be worthwhile to have it on (this one is quite old)

H E L L O
Date: November 10, 2008 07:49PM
You use it to upgrade an existing license. If that existing license is an OEM one, then the upgraded license will be OEM too (so you could only use it on the PC (defined as motherboard) that the existing license was installed on). If the existing license is a retail one (big boxed edition) then it keeps the retail license, allowing you to install to any number of PCs (though only one at a time of course).

If you've got an OEM license (~£100 or came with a PC) then it's cheaper to just buy an OEM license than it is to buy the upgrade.
Date: November 10, 2008 08:52PM
oh poo, ive just thought of something wrong..

i planned to install this over the top of an existing valid XP installation (which i have the valid disc for).

:S eek!

i was under the impression i could install vista using a disc my brother gave me (a copy backup of his legitimate vista 64 home) and that you have 30 days to validate it with a genuine serial.

since he is using the serial that comes with his disc, i thought it was possible to install using his disc, then upon install, opt for the vista ultimate option/use my upgrade edition and hey presto, i would have my own paid for version of vista?

is this not possible, big LOL if ive made a boo-boo!

lmao!

any help much appreciated!

(im running XP now, and the silly site gives you three installation steps, and three files. my connection cut out when my pc went on standby, so i only completed one of the three files. that file was about 80mb or so. the other two were a few kb, and another that was 2.06GB!

when i try and log back in, im only allowed to download the same 80mb file i already have, and not the two i need! customer support is a joke too, its all via emails! GRRR!!! i am guessing that this download is primarily for installing via being inside xp, as in, no format, just an install over the top. i dont liek that, i want a fresh way on just going through vista first!)

Date: November 10, 2008 09:23PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
gav Wrote:
> You use it to upgrade an existing license. If that
> existing license is an OEM one, then the upgraded
> license will be OEM too (so you could only use it
> on the PC (defined as motherboard) that the
> existing license was installed on). If the
> existing license is a retail one (big boxed
> edition) then it keeps the retail license,
> allowing you to install to any number of PCs
> (though only one at a time of course).
>
> If you've got an OEM license (~£100 or came with
> a PC) then it's cheaper to just buy an OEM license
> than it is to buy the upgrade.

So you basically have to have xp and then upgrade to it?

My XP home appears to be OEM - so you're saying that for this upgrade thing to work I would have to get XP for a new computer if I got one and then get the upgrade from that. Hmm. I'm not really aware of the pricings of such things or vista though but basically you're saying that the offer for that isn't actually so good / there being a need to take up on it? How much would vista oem be? Infact there's so many versions of vista i wouldn't know which to get anyway.

H E L L O
Date: November 10, 2008 11:12PM
If you want to use Vista on a computer (motherboard) other than the one XP is currently installed on, you'd need a new XP license.

It would be cheaper to just buy an OEM version of Vista.

And yes, you need a product to upgrade. That's why it's called Upgrade. ;-)

danm Wrote:
> oh poo, ive just thought of something wrong..
>
> i planned to install this over the top of an
> existing valid XP installation (which i have the
> valid disc for).
>
> :S eek!
>
> i was under the impression i could install vista
> using a disc my brother gave me (a copy backup of
> his legitimate vista 64 home) and that you have 30
> days to validate it with a genuine serial.
>
> since he is using the serial that comes with his
> disc, i thought it was possible to install using
> his disc, then upon install, opt for the vista
> ultimate option/use my upgrade edition and hey
> presto, i would have my own paid for version of
> vista?

I won't say it won't work. If you go by every letter, you'll have broken the EULA, but if you are upgrading on the same PC as XP was on, MS won't cause a fuss. Whether the Upgrade key actually works through OEM media or not I don't know. All I do know is that if it doesn't work, you're going to be talking to an MS employee in an Indian call centre.
Date: November 11, 2008 01:19AM
gav
--------------------------------------------------
All I do know is that if it doesn't work,
> you're going to be talking to an MS employee in an
> Indian call centre.

Haha! I have had this many a time when I have needed to activate my product.

Thing is, I am running an XP CD from an old Dell machine we used to have from around 5 or 6 or more years ago, except we have all used the CD (my brother, dad, myself, even my mum) on various other dells we have previously had. Well, i say previously, that would be just one other machine... :P

I have since used and perfectly finely used that XP cd on custom builds with no hassle.

Gav, may I ask you, what is the likely chance that using this upgrade vista ive got working with the ultimate upgrade of vista?

i presume the best thing to do is format the machine and freshly install xp first, or, does the upgrade go through the formatting process? Or does it literally paste vista over an entirely installed xp?

Date: November 11, 2008 09:47AM
danm Wrote:
> Thing is, I am running an XP CD from an old Dell
> machine we used to have from around 5 or 6 or more
> years ago, except we have all used the CD (my
> brother, dad, myself, even my mum) on various
> other dells we have previously had. Well, i say
> previously, that would be just one other
> machine... :P
>
> I have since used and perfectly finely used that
> XP cd on custom builds with no hassle.

Oh yeah, the CD you can use on as many installs as you like. It's the license which dictates how the software is used.

danm Wrote:
> Gav, may I ask you, what is the likely chance that
> using this upgrade vista ive got working with the
> ultimate upgrade of vista?

Haven't got a clue what you're referring to there. ;)

danm Wrote:
> i presume the best thing to do is format the
> machine and freshly install xp first, or, does the
> upgrade go through the formatting process? Or does
> it literally paste vista over an entirely
> installed xp?

I've never used the Upgrade version, but I'd guess it detects the existing OS, then allows you to install fresh (including format).

I have read of a way around having an existing OS though with the Upgrade version though (though you would have no license at all then).
Date: November 11, 2008 07:32PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
The way the upgrade for XP worked was if you had a 98 disc (not installed, just a disc) it checked it, then you could install XP fresh. I'd guess it's the same, but haven't tried it as I don't have Upgrade versions of Vista, only Business 32 and 64 bit OEM.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 11, 2008 11:56PM
ive read on a random forum that if a legitimate vista cd/copy was used to freshly install vista (ie, use my brothers) theres an option to choose ultimate 64 as well as home etc, its just that whatever version you select, your key must match or your doomed and it wont go through with it.

as for the dell cd, it generates a new serial each install! its a weird one! i have to install, then have 30 days to quote the numbers on my bottom right screen to activate it to mr man in india, who just feeds me back a whole load more numbers that i bash in, and im activate. done it 30 times already, no hassles!

Date: November 12, 2008 11:12AM
danm Wrote:
> ive read on a random forum that if a legitimate
> vista cd/copy was used to freshly install vista
> (ie, use my brothers) theres an option to choose
> ultimate 64 as well as home etc, its just that
> whatever version you select, your key must match
> or your doomed and it wont go through with it.

Not strictly speaking. Vista Ultimate and retail versions allow you to select which version you want to install (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business or Ultimate), and you can simply choose not to enter a key. However when you do come to enter that key, if it doesn't correspond to the correct version, I believe you'll either need to purchase another license or reinstall from scratch again.

OEM versions purchased with a PC will only allow you to install the version on that PC.

danm Wrote:
> as for the dell cd, it generates a new serial each
> install! its a weird one! i have to install, then
> have 30 days to quote the numbers on my bottom
> right screen to activate it to mr man in india,
> who just feeds me back a whole load more numbers
> that i bash in, and im activate. done it 30 times
> already, no hassles!

Dell and most large OEMs have the actual serial number hard-coded into the BIOS, so the one on the PC itself isn't registered serial number, so even though it will let you install Vista using it, it won't normally activate.
Date: November 15, 2008 07:48PM
For anyone interested, I am about to follow through too.

[www.vistax64.com]

'Installing Full Vista using just an Upgrade Edition'.

Nice, easy tutorial, and seems to work! :D

Date: November 16, 2008 10:50AM
Yeah, I wasn't going to suggest that, as it can be used for pirating it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy